• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

White Flyer Clays break down reeaaalllyyy slow

jayhitek

NES Member
One of my kids smashed a clay in the driveway and put it in a cup of water to watch it biodegrade.. It's been 4 weeks and it's still hard as a rock and the broken edges are perfect.
I was surprised by that. Thought it would break down a little faster.

Had to look up the specs. Says it takes 2 years to break down 95%.. I say 4 years!

This has been a psa of useless info. Now we all know. Thank you for your time.
I'm bored at work.

Attachments

• 20181008_185714.jpg
    20181008_185714.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 20181008_185601.jpg
    20181008_185601.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
The newer bios are made out of corn starch older ones where clay they do not dissolve the just break down into dust, eventually

I assume your highly scientific approach included, alternating cycles of sun, wind, rain, snow, ice etc., to come to your conclusion; and not just pouring water into a cup of broken clay chips and waiting 4 weeks......

Couldn't help myself.
It included none of those #FakeScience things! It's sitting in a cup of water like the Flat Earthers and Global warming disavowers said to do. Who needs science?!!?

My kids did the same thing, lol. We went to the range and there was a ton of them, and my daughter was pissed about people littering the range. I explained they break down and the kids put them in water to see how long it took - we gave up. haha

When I was in Canada a couple weeks ago, I went trap shooting and the "Clays" we're actually made from polylactic acid. PLA is one of the main 3D printing prototype plastics and dissolves in water, is made from starches, and is actually not bad for the environment.

One of my kids smashed a clay in the driveway and put it in a cup of water to watch it biodegrade.. It's been 4 weeks and it's still hard as a rock and the broken edges are perfect.
I was surprised by that. Thought it would break down a little faster.

Had to look up the specs. Says it takes 2 years to break down 95%.. I say 4 years!

This has been a psa of useless info. Now we all know. Thank you for your time.
I'm bored at work.

Anyone who's ever seen the back side of the trap field could tell you that.

There are almost always one or two birds which get stuck way out there in the trees. It takes most of the season before they finally fall out. Usually someone will shoot them out before that happens. Half the time it's me.

Waits 4% of the time the manufacturer says it will take to break down and doesn't include UV light as a factor.

"Hey guys, guess what...."

They take years to break down but that's OK. If for instance a Trap field were to be converted a housing development, you could simply turn the soil over, build houses and within several years the clays would break down under the soil. They can change the pH of the soil but that would eventually fix itself as well.

Back
Top Bottom