Which one?

1903Collector

NES Member
I,m going to looking for an upper for an AR lower I bought this month. I want something other than 5.56 so I am thinking of either 6.8 spc or the 300 Remington SAUM. Does anyone have any experience with these cartridges, opinions? As for use, Targets at 300yds +.

Last edited:
Haven't heard anything about the 300 SAUM (which usually means it's not going anywhere). I haven't been impressed by the 6.8. I know a couple of guys that have them that like them, but I don't think the accuracy is as good as the .223 nor the long range ballistics.

I would be looking at the 6.5 Grendel, 6mm Hagar, 6mm WOA, 6mmAR, or something like that. All will excel at paper shooting beyond 300yds.

A local shop has an Olympic Arms in .223 WSSM. Why, I don't know. Looks to be a barrel-burner after 500rds or so.

Haven't heard anything about the 300 SAUM (which usually means it's not going anywhere). I haven't been impressed by the 6.8. I know a couple of guys that have them that like them, but I don't think the accuracy is as good as the .223 nor the long range ballistics.

I would be looking at the 6.5 Grendel, 6mm Hagar, 6mm WOA, 6mmAR, or something like that. All will excel at paper shooting beyond 300yds.

A local shop has an Olympic Arms in .223 WSSM. Why, I don't know. Looks to be a barrel-burner after 500rds or so.

The ballistics on the 6.5 look very interseting, now I have to figure a way to afford the upper....

I know its not one of your choices, but how about .50 Beowulf [mg]

Thunderbolt
Just a thought, .50 Beowulf requires an irreversible mod to AR mags to function (reshaping of the feed lips), IIRC .458 socom requires no mod, and .450 bushmaster only requires changing the follower and spring. May be worth considering if you already have significant $ invested in AR mags.

One thing about going oddball (as in caliber) is that you probably need to start handloading, if you don't already.

I Do, and although Wolf is manufacturing loaded ammo, I don't see this becoming widely available commercially for some time if at all.

I agree. I would doubt very highly if Remington or any other big ammo maunufacturer would ever start making Grendel ammo. Haven't heard anything about the quality of the Wolf ammo.
Local HP shooter and gun writer, Dave Fortier was playing with one a while ago. I haven't seen him in a while to talk to, but I remember he was impressed with the round, especially at extended ranges.

Back
Top Bottom