Which new 22 semi rifle?

I want to get a new 22lr semi auto rifle with a scope for the wife. There's so many of them out there it gets confusing.

Going to Rimfire central is no help they only like the ones they own.

Basically I'm looking for one that's trouble free and accurate. Also I don't want to spend over $400.00.

Can any one give me a little direction on getting a new one?

Last edited:
Ruger 10/22 is an inexpensive option- probably a ton of other options our there. I had one long ago. Now I just have my bolt action tube feed Marlin that me and boy use at the range. It's so quiet and easy to shoot... I wish I could shoot my handguns half as good!

Good luck.

Last edited:
+1000 on the Ruger not the most accurate out of the box but there is a ton of accessories/after market stuff that you put on it

I've never understood that logic. I prefer to buy quality, accurate firearms that do not need tons of crap to make them what they should have been from the start.

If a semi is a must, I would consider this Thompson Center.

If you will consider a bolt action (and I strongly prefer them over semis), a CZ 452 would be my choice. It was my personal choice, in fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you said semi auto but I just saw an add in the Dick's Sporting Goods flyer today for heavy barrel bolt action Savage .22 and .17 rimfire rifles with laminate thumbhole stock, accu trigger, and a scope for $299. No idea on what kind of scope it is but the rifle is worth that price alone as these are some of the most accurate rifles out there right out of the box with an inexpensive price tag.
If its a semi auto you want for plinking though you can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. There are several models available now from used bargain ones, no frills standard models, target models, etc. You can always get a basic model and add to it later if you want to accurize it.

I bought my son a Walther G22 and put a cheap red dot sight on it. The thing is a blast. When I bring it to the range, EVERYONE wants to shoot it. It looks short, but it's a bullpup so it has a long barrel. Of all my guns, it's the only one my GF wants to shoot on the rare occasions that she comes to the range.

They're cool-looking too:

172.jpg

(NOTE: That's not mine, it's just a pic I found online).

I'd go with either the Ruger 10/22 or the Savage model 64

I've got the Savage, bought it at Wal-mart for around $100.00
if you want a better trigger there's a coupld of options like the Rifle Basix for about $70.00

I like it alot.
the Ruger is also a good option at around $180 at wal-mart with TONS of add ons.

I know you said semi auto but I just saw an add [sic] in the Dick's Sporting Goods flyer today for heavy barrel bolt action Savage .22 and .17 rimfire rifles with laminate thumbhole stock, accu trigger, and a scope for $299.

As the OP quite explicitly specified a semi-auto, the relevant gun in the Dick's ad is the REMINGTON package for $149.

As the OP quite explicitly specified a semi-auto, the relevant gun in the Dick's ad is the REMINGTON package for $149.

Yep, saw that one and don't care for the Remington model. I do like the Savage and figured I'd pass long the info for the hell of it because it seems like a good deal in case the OP was interested in an accurate bolt gun.
But I did also offer input on the Ruger 10/22 as my choice for a semi auto.[slap]

Yep, saw that one and don't care for the Remington model. I do like the Savage and figured I'd pass long the info for the hell of it because it seems like a good deal in case the OP was interested in an accurate bolt gun.

Which, by his express terms, he was NOT. [rolleyes]

But I did also offer input on the Ruger 10/22 as my choice for a semi auto.

While ignoring the relevant gun in the ad you referred to...[slap]

Scrivened twice in one day.[rolleyes]
Feels like when I play Call of Duty and get killed by the kid who has a bind telling you "you just got pwned"

I want to buy the Buckmark semi auto rifle. I don't own one, but I own some other
Browning stuff and really wish I had spent the $$ , it was around $400 or so I think.

IMHO The ruger 10/22 is fun to shoot and accurate enough out of the box for a beginner. If your wife has experience or gets that much better with time a trigger and barrel upgrade will make it into a serious target plinker.

I would buy the 10/22!

I bought mine (deluxe model) back ~20 years ago and love it! Great plinking rifle AS-IS!

I don't see any need to spend hundreds/thousands customizing the gun at all. Mine came with a scope on it and that is quite enough for plinking or even hunting (if one was so inclined and when/where legal).

I looked at the Thompsons before and while I liked them the bride didn't.

The Brownings have a nice setup but I know she won't like it.

I myself liked the Walther but since it's not for me, I think I'll just get her a Ruger.

Thanks for the help.

Good choice. Take a look at a catalog or Ruger's online site and judge which one would be best for her. The 16" carbines have the lightest weight at around 4lbs and are pretty accurate at 50 yards. The bull barrel target models that have no sights are fairly heavy at around 7lbs but are very accurate from what I've heard.
It all depends if you plan on shooting sitting where weight won't matter much, or standing where a lighter rifle is easier to use.

A recent Shotgun News article compared a factory bull barrell 10/22 with a customized aftermarket loaded 10/22. They were remarkably close in accuracy with the custom job holding a small edge but at a premium price. I'd buy the factory target bull model 10/22 and put a decent rimfire scope on it. Shoot it a lot and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom