• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which CZ?

I like the shadow 2. There's no doubt it is better out of the box than an SP01 Shadow. But it is a heavier gun and some excellent shooters think it doesn't swing as well as the SP01 and the recoil of soft 9mm ammo is of little need for more weight. Plus the extra weight puts it over limit for IDPA. Somethings to consider.
This.
I definitely prefer my cajunized SP-01 Shadows over the shadow 2 due to the S2 being muzzle heavy and as you said not swinging well.
The S1 has plenty of weight and the trigger is damn slick

The only time I use one is in my backpack. It's cheap and light. I would never carry a firearms in one on my belt.

Am I going to get out of this thread with any honor left? ;)
You could do kydex with a lanyard so when you do pull it out the holster is attached to the pack and stripped away. Not trying to give you sh*t, just breaking balls BTW

You could do kydex with a lanyard so when you do pull it out the holster is attached to the pack and stripped away. Not trying to give you sh*t, just breaking balls BTW
Believe me, I have pretty thick skin. I can play along with the best of them. That being said...with my current back issues the way they are, I'm pretty sure my weeklong (or longer) backpacking treks are over. I hope not but I think they are.

Believe me, I have pretty thick skin. I can play along with the best of them. That being said...with my current back issues the way they are, I'm pretty sure my weeklong (or longer) backpacking treks are over. I hope not but I think they are.
I like kydex because I can have a SA only gun cocked and locked and not worry about it. If my 1911 is loaded and decocked I have to recock or run the slide and lose a round to have it ready to fire. I like sticking with the routine of simply dropping the safety and being ready to fire. Personal preference, and getting old sucks as well

Do you want a rail or not?

Do you care about a firing pin block or not?

Do you prefer DA/SA or SAO?

Do you want a safety or decocker?
That's why I ask
DA/SA for sure Block or not, don't know, Safety or Decocker, I feel if the round is chambered, decocker just changes it from SA to DA, so probably the safety. no preference on rail

I suggest a decocker, it’s safer since you can put your thumb on the hammer while holstering to prevent accidentally shooting yourself. A manual safety just adds an extra step of dropping the safety on the draw, and you can accidentally bump the safety while shooting.

A cajunized SP-01 tactical or P-01 is a good choice. You have the option of mounting a light for home defense.

Then there’s no point having a safety if you don’t use it. More stuff can go wrong, like getting stung by a wasp while decocking and accidentally firing a shot.
Meh. I’ve shot tens of thousands of rounds through my CZs without the safety becoming engaged. I’ve decocked thousands of times without firing a shot — you just need to pay attention. And I’ve got no wasps in my house. Would I rather have a decocker? Sure, but the Shadow 2 doesn’t come with one. I don’t see it as a big deal. YMMV.

I ended up w/ the 75BD-PCR. Very nice and currently gettin' Cajunized.

A bit smaller than my Sig P229.

I just like the idea of most any gun I might carry/need (ie. non-competition) operates the same
way. Esp. any guns w/ safeties. They all work in the same direction which basically requires
a frame mounted safety, not a slide mounted.

Last edited:
That's why I ask
DA/SA for sure Block or not, don't know, Safety or Decocker, I feel if the round is chambered, decocker just changes it from SA to DA, so probably the safety. no preference on rail
Decocked, you ain’t gonna accidentally bump the trigger and send one with the double action trigger pull. And yet it’s still ready to go, just pull the trigger.

I ended up w/ the 75BD-PCR. Very nice and currently gettin' Cajunized.

A bit smaller than my Sig P229.

I just like the idea of most any gun I might carry/need (ie. non-competition) operates the same
way. Esp. any guns w/ safeties. They all work in the same direction which basically requires
a frame mounted safety, not a slide mounted.
I own guns with safeties that go in both direction, ugh. I don’t carry guns with safeties.

Then there’s no point having a safety if you don’t use it. More stuff can go wrong, like getting stung by a wasp while decocking and accidentally firing a shot.
The OP said "range toy" which basically makes all of that stuff of completely irrelevant unless he's lying to himself for us in the process. If someone is actually going to carry one of these things or use it for SD, the BD is the way to go.

They must be very busy people. It took six weeks to simply come up to the top of the list to send it in and then another eight weeks to do the work. ETA is mid August.

Not sure why it's a 8w job. Seems like 2h, esp for those guys. There was no need for me to
lose the use of the CZ for 2 months.

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure why but there's a lot of inherent disdain for that sub-platform. The amount of people who have put the gun back on the counter in disappointment after picking one up and finding out it's an Omega was enough for me to take notice. Those guns sold eventually but they took way longer than the other czs we had floating around at the same time. Right now there are probably lots of them shelf rotting.

It's probably because of stuff like this:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/CZFirearms/comments/bqnu6v/why_i_will_now_never_be_able_to_trust_the_omega/

Or this..

I would not be shocked if eventually the product magically just disappears/discontinued. With the amount of disdain for that product line they're better off not wasting the production capacity and stick to doing things they're good at.

Funny enough, the P01 Omega was discontinued in 2023. When I mailed my Omega in last week, I asked for a non-Omega replacement. Hoping they honor my request.

They must be very busy people. It took six weeks to simply come up to the top of the list to send it in and then another eight weeks to do the work. ETA is mid August.

Not sure why it's a 8w job. Seems like 2h, esp for those guys. There was no need for me to
lose the use of the CZ for 2 months.
Gumsmiths are in short supply, and CZs are much like Sig classics and HKs.... there's not a huge number of experts that can modify them safely. 2 months is basically nothing, hell S&Ws is probably taking that long to fix a f***ing shield these days. 🤣

The amount of gun owners has gone way up. The # of smiths, not an inch.

As far as not being able to use it.... if you can afford a steel CZ these days you can buy two.... just sayin..... 🤣

Meh. I’ve shot tens of thousands of rounds through my CZs without the safety becoming engaged. I’ve decocked thousands of times without firing a shot — you just need to pay attention. And I’ve got no wasps in my house. Would I rather have a decocker? Sure, but the Shadow 2 doesn’t come with one. I don’t see it as a big deal. YMMV.

The shit thing is in USPSA they want the hammer all the way down to start, when the gun was really meant to start at the half cock/intercept notch. It's not a huge deal but you have to be really careful, there's no "release the trigger early" thing going on there. I agree after you've done it a ton of times on an empty gun it's no big deal.

I have a 75 but I like the 97 better. It's slightly larger than the 75 and it's in 45 instead of 9mm.

The only problem with the 97 is its a gigantic gun for a 10 round capacity (lets leave MA bs aside) there's no rail with that massive dust cover, and the magazine release isnt extended enough for people with smaller hands to work it. (as a point of contrast, I can work an HK MK23 mag release just fine, and still operate the gun even with my "girl hands" lmao... the same cannot be said of the 97, I have to practically flip the gun to dump the mag efficiently. ) If CZ had cut a rail into that dust cover and put an extended mag release on it that would solve at least some of it. The frame could probably be reworked with new mags to hold an easy 12+ rounds. They probably decided not to do that because the .45 ACP market dropped right off a cliff in the past 10 years. The only thing it still outsells is .40s, but thats not really saying much. It is a well built gun, though.

That's why I ask

If you want the range gun with the best trigger possible and absolutely shortest reset - then you want safety model without firing pin block, not a decocker. But don't expect it out of the box.
Cajun treatment all the way (or some will prefer CZC)

The OP said "range toy" which basically makes all of that stuff of completely irrelevant unless he's lying to himself for us in the process. If someone is actually going to carry one of these things or use it for SD, the BD is the way to go.
Yup, just a range toy. I don't shoot comp nor would I carry it. I don't have a gun in the nightstand either, My dogs would give me plenty of warning and enough time to grab a gun if I needed to.

If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the standard 75 P01. The nice thing about that choice is that it's a fun range toy, but if you decide to rotate it into carry use, it's a workable size.

My P01 Omega had the decocker walkout issue and is in for repairs. It made me lose confidence in the Omega system. Make what you will of the fact that the Omega system seems to be discontinued this year.

When it comes back, I may sell it and use the funds to buy a standard P01. Also considering purchasing a M&P Compact 9mm or a Glock 19. I like the S&W lifetime warranty. CZ warranty is 5 years. Glock has the reputation of near indestructibility. On the other hand, that decocker is like a warm safety blanket to me...

Also considering purchasing a M&P Compact 9mm or a Glock 19. I like the S&W lifetime warranty. CZ warranty is 5 years. Glock has the reputation of near indestructibility.
No, no, no, no, no. Get a Glock 19 over an M&P Compact every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Get a Gen 5 (preferred) or a Gen 3, skip Gen 4. If you have a problem with your Glock (and you won't unless you screw with it), then Glock will fix it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom