• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which bolt rifle should I get? Opinions...

napoleon1815

NES Member
Hey all,

I have been debating (but don't want to overthink) between two "low end" bolts and was hoping people here had some hands on experience with either. I am not a sniper and have no intention of doing 1,000 yard shots...and have no need for a $4,000 bolt gun. This is for range time. Anyway, the two I am looking at are:

http://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-patrol-rifle-thunder-ranch-27798/

...and...

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPSR (NOTE: I am looking at the 20" model not this 24" one)

One thing I am curious about is magazine availability and price as well.

Thanks!

Savage > Mossy

With a bolt gun the need for more than one magazine is rare. I prefer internal box mag vs. detachable for my large caliber bolt guns. Detachable high capacity magazines are for semis, but to each their own.

Savage > Mossy

With a bolt gun the need for more than one magazine is rare. I prefer internal box mag vs. detachable for my large caliber bolt guns. Detachable high capacity magazines are for semis, but to each their own.

I see the point on the mags...I actually like internal as well sometimes (my Rem 700 for example).

Savage > Mossberg, and with a bolt gun you're not gonna need more than one mag.

Hell, even at the range I don't bother loading more than one round at a time with my Ruger. Deer hunting I put four in the mag (holds 6 in the internal box). Never needed more than two.

If I were buying a bolt gun for the range I would buy a mossberg mvp in 556. I like that 556 is cheaper than the 308 model and that it shares magazines and ammo with your AR. If you don't have that AR you should forget the bolt gun and find an AR.

I have had many Savage's over the years and still do, never been disappointed by any of them. Dark Eagle Customs makes a 10 round center feed mag, they use the top end of a factory Savage mag and mate it with an aluminum extended body. Great magazine but damn pricey but you don't have to change bottom metal.

Savage ALL DAY. SAVAGE 10-fcp. You will not be diasapointed. That rifle outshoot said any average shooter and then some. Quality made stuff for the regular guy.

I've owned both. Savage for sure.

the only perk to the mossberg MVP is that it uses AR pattern mags. however in my hands it was a rough action and bolt design is weird (to accomodate the mags). the savage crushes the mossberg in every category especially where it counts most (accuracy).

+1 on Savage.
Couple thoughts on mags-
A lot of guys single load shooting off a bench.
A extended or big AR mag can be pretty ungainly shooting off bags or a low bipod .
Should you end up going hunting with the gun, with an external box mag it is considerably easier and quieter to load and unload as conditions dictate.

For that money I'd buy a Tikka T3 they too have removable magazines(not ARs and 7-10 rds at most) but are much better rifles than both these choices.

For that money I'd buy a Tikka T3 they too have removable magazines(not ARs and 7-10 rds at most) but are much better rifles than both these choices.

I went through this same decision process last year and ended up with a T3x Lite. $700, from the fine folks at EuroOptic.

OK I think I am sold on the Savage...was leaning that way anyway!

out of the box the savage is hard to beat at its price points. Especially the lower end models.
My daughters savage rascal is darn close to moa right from the box and for a cheap starter gun has a great trigger for the price.
For a range gun you dont plan on going out any real long range the 223 is a great choice. IMHO heck i have fun out to 200 yards with 22lr

I am partial to the Savage. I had one in 308 that was extremely accurate out of the box. I just bought one in 6.5mm Creedmoor as I do have aspirations to stretch it to 1000 yd. some day. It has a detachable mag. I like the accutrigger. I like that I can swap barrels my self someday. And, a variant at Cabelas was on sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/firearms/centerfire-rifles/bolt-action-centerfire-rifles|/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105522480/i/105523380/savage-t-sr-centerfire-rifle/2464333.uts?slotId=0

Darn you all! I was good to go on Savage then someone brings in Tikka ha.

Only plus to the tikka is they are MOA guaranty out of the box. Not sure what ammo they use.
The 10 FCP-SR can be had for $600 shipped from a few vendors. The T3 I find that's close to that is $750 ish. I like the T3 sporter looks like a decent bench gun but that's $1100?

Only plus to the tikka is they are MOA guaranty out of the box. Not sure what ammo they use.
The 10 FCP-SR can be had for $600 shipped from a few vendors. The T3 I find that's close to that is $750 ish. I like the T3 sporter looks like a decent bench gun but that's $1100?

Yeah I am going with the Savage. I am over thinking it and it's all positive. Thanks for the assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom