Which AR in Ma?

Hi guys/gals,

Im interested in purchasing an AR-15 rifle. Living in Ma, Im sure my choices are limited. I dont need the BEST, but I would like a quality rifle. How are the S&W MP15? Bushmaster? Any advice and why would be helpful. Would like .223 cal, as I have lots of that ammo for my Mini-14. Thanks in advance!

Sean
Massachusett (but not for long)
NRA
Goal

If you're not long for MA can you wait to get your new toy? That opens your options a lot.

If you don't want to wait I love my S&W M&P15T...

Good luck,

Rich

Hi guys/gals,

Im interested in purchasing an AR-15 rifle. Living in Ma, Im sure my choices are limited. I dont need the BEST, but I would like a quality rifle. How are the S&W MP15? Bushmaster? Any advice and why would be helpful. Would like .223 cal, as I have lots of that ammo for my Mini-14. Thanks in advance!

Sean
Massachusett (but not for long)
NRA
Goal

Not a true AR...actually it's much more like an AK but has the accuracy of the AR..but I love my Sig 556. They've had some quality control issues but mine has been awesome

Other than that my vote would also go to Stag or the S&W, both quality AR's and cost effective. the S&W can be had for as little as $850-$900 right now which is a STEAL

M&P15FT, that way, all you would have to change or "fix" is the fake collapsable butt stock when you move

otherwise, get a pre-ban if you find one for $1200 or less (very dooable nowdays)

Thanks for all your replies. My move is not for another year or so. Im putting my place on the market next spring, so it may be a while more. So Stag or S&W. I have several Smith firearms, so im not opposed to that in any way. As for as buying a pre ban. I dont know much about them, and I see so many people building them and modifying them, that I'm a little leery of buying used. I'll check out the Stag Arms and S&W. Do you guys have any model #'s for the Stag? Thanks again.

Just remember there are smaller AR15 custom building companies in MA. Remsport Mfg. is one and can do a custom AR for you.
There are down sides to an off the rack gun.
By the way is your avatar your jeep or just a photo of a jeep?
This is what I drive.

Attachments

• Jeep 2.jpg
    Jeep 2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
If cost is not an object and you want pretty, consider the JP Rifles CTR-02, w/MA compliant option. You have many choices of very good AR15's here in MA - you just need a pinned or soldered muzzle brake (or no brake) and a non-collapsable stock. The Resmport and S&W stuff looks pretty decent and is made right in MA behind enemy lines. I expect you'll be able to see examples of both the S&W and Remsport at the Marlborough gun show. I'll be working the USPSA table and will have a JP CTR-02 you can check out.

Hi, Im hoping to make it to the Marlboro show. I will try to look you up. Price is an object. Im just looking for a nice, accurate, decent quality AR. I dont need a tricked out one. A stocker will do me just fine.

That is...er...WAS my Jeep TJ. I bought it new, and spend 5yrs building it. Pics dont do it justice. It had air lockers, HD axles, gear reduction, OBA..you name it. I didnt have the winch on in that pic. Anyway, I recently traded it in. Unfortunately, I have to travel more now, and it just wasnt practical. I miss it alot. If I didnt live in a condo, I could have kept it and just bought another vehicle, but I can only have one vehicle here. Sucks. She was paid in full, too. I really appreciate all the quick responses.

Personally, I like the SIG556. It's a gas piston model that fires much cleaner and is less prone to fouling. Right now I know Sig Sauer is having a $300 rebate on all new SIG556 sales. Four Seasons of Woburn has a pretty good price to begin with, so after the rebate you'll be right around $1000.00

Just checked out the JP, wow. Pretty is right..Out of my price range though. I dont want to spend any more than like $1,600. I want to hopefully trade in my Mini-14, too help defray the cost.

I know you said money is not an object but If I were you I would buy a used one or at least a used upper and build a lower. You can save some serious coin that can go towards an optic.

Ar15.com has an equipment exchange section and I have seen used complete uppers for under 400.00 You could get a stripped lower, stock and parts kit for under 300.

No, No..Money IS and object. I dont want to get into building one, restoring one, etc. I just want a decent stock out the box one. Nothing all tricked out, or pieced together. My budget is $1,600 or so. TOPS. Can we keep this to Stock, out of the box AR's so I can compare. Thanks a lot

Last edited:
You can get a very nice S&W off the rack and save some coin for optics.
For a little more you can Order an LMT Lower $330.00 http://www.lewismachine.net/product.php?p=18&cid=4&session=a25ce961c6f760edad9a79da858adf81
Throw a Larue Stealth on top for $1,200 and you will have a kick ass rifle. http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=100 You will have to pick up a compensator/brake and have it pinned. The other option for a great upper is White Oak Armament they will do an upper with a Daniel Defense Quad Rail and a crowned (no suppressor) Designated Marksman Barrel for around the same price.
http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

family photo.jpg

From top to bottom:
Colt HBAR
Larue 18" Stealth with LMT lower
WOA 16" with LMT Lower (just put an Accupoint 1x4 on this rifle)
Fulton Armory 16" with ACOG

Last edited:
No, No..Money IS and object. I dont want to get into building one, restoring one, etc. I just want a decent stock out the box one. Nothing all tricked out, or pieced together. My budget is $1,600 or so. TOPS. Can we keep this to Stock, out of the box AR's so I can compare. Thanks a lot

The SIG 556 with a decent scope will stay within your $1600.00 budget

Will the Sig 556 accept AR mags?

Yup, I bought the 30 round pre-ban mags with it at Four Seasons. The picatinny rails have attachments on all four sides and can take any AK accessories. The only thing you can't do with this (to my knowledge) is play around with the uppers. Because it is gas piston and not straight gas, it won't take a lot of AR uppers. One nice thing is Sig just came out with a 22LR upper for this so you can shoot it at indoor ranges and also save on ammo.

You can get a very nice S&W off the rack and save some coin for optics.
For a little more you can Order an LMT Lower $330.00 http://www.lewismachine.net/product.php?p=18&cid=4&session=a25ce961c6f760edad9a79da858adf81
Throw a Larue Stealth on top for $1,200 and you will have a kick ass rifle. http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=100 You will have to pick up a compensator/brake and have it pinned. The other option for a great upper is White Oak Armament they will do an upper with a Daniel Defense Quad Rail and a crowned (no suppressor) Designated Marksman Barrel for around the same price.
http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

View attachment 8463

From top to bottom:
Colt HBAR
Larue 18" Stealth with LMT lower
WOA 16" with LMT Lower (just put an Accupoint 1x4 on this rifle)
Fulton Armory 16" with ACOG

+1 for white oak

IF you want to wait. I just ordered a Service Rifle Upper and was told the wait is 10 to 14 weeks.

my "daily driver" is a DPMS carbine, purchased from an NES member with minimal modifications....

the "old school" build is in progress, Stag Lower, Model 1 Sales A2 butt stock and White Oak complete Upper, total cost will be below $1k, but i have to wait.... [laugh]

Will the Sig 556 accept AR mags?

allegidly.

i know the AR won't take the Sig 556 thirty rounders [wink] -can't comment on their 10 rounders.

tried a couple Sig 556, 30 round mags through my zombie killa and two other ARs. had FTF's every 4th or 5th round.

IMO - sig 556 mags should only be used in sig 556 rifles.

Yup, I bought the 30 round pre-ban mags with it at Four Seasons. The picatinny rails have attachments on all four sides and can take any AK accessories. The only thing you can't do with this (to my knowledge) is play around with the uppers. Because it is gas piston and not straight gas, it won't take a lot of AR uppers. One nice thing is Sig just came out with a 22LR upper for this so you can shoot it at indoor ranges and also save on ammo.

Pics?

If I wanted a new AR in Mass and I just wanted a reliable rifle at a decent price I would still be inundated with options. To keep it simple, take a look at the S&W rifles available in Mass, then talk to the folks at Remsport to see what they can do with features you like. Right now, you can get a very nice AR (excluding optics) for under $1000 easy. Spend the rest on pre-ban mags, and get a top notch optic and mount from LaRue Tactical.

I got a Bushmaster AR for probably what you're looking to spend, off the shelf, I like it, I like it better than my buddies S&W AR but what the heck do I know....

allegidly.

i know the AR won't take the Sig 556 thirty rounders [wink] -can't comment on their 10 rounders.

tried a couple Sig 556, 30 round mags through my zombie killa and two other ARs. had FTF's every 4th or 5th round.

After doing the minimum amount of research possible, (because I'm lazy) I found that they do take AR mags actually before SecondAmendment posted. It's actually on their website.

allegidly.

I can tell you without a doubt my SIG556 takes both 30 and 10 round AK mags

After doing the minimum amount of research possible, (because I'm lazy) I found that they do take AR mags actually before SecondAmendment posted. It's actually on their website.

The one thing that sucks (not too much) is that I have yet to see any of the double mags in pre-ban. However, someone once said there was a way to use two identical 30 round pre-ban mags and make the same double mag at home.

i got an off the shelf Stag model 2. No complaints so far. The nice thing about going 5.56 is you can use the .223 you already have, or use 5.56 if you run across a sweet surplus deal like the one MFL did not too long ago.

allegidly.

The SIG 556 does take STANAG mags but it may be less tolerant of certain ones and the same may be true of your AR.

I have a Robinson XCR which I like a lot. However, it has a feeding problem with a few of my 20 rounders and if I use those, it will actually push the bullet into the case and stop feeding. If I give it a mag it likes, it will feed anything. My M&P15FT is more tolerant of the kind of old crappy mags we're subjected to in MA.

DAMN YOU AWB! DAMN YOU TO HELLLLL!

*ahem*

Anyway, I like both the XCR and M&P15FT but if I could only keep one, it'd be the XCR. With the current SIG rebates, I'd be heavily tempted to get that over an AR also. Cleaning sucks.

Back
Top Bottom