• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which .357 to get?

Brin747

NES Member
My wife and sons are going to get me a new toy for my 40th bday this week. I don't have a .357 in my collection yet and think that's what I want.

Specs:I'd like to keep it under $500, I'd like to be able to CCW it when hiking, and I want something durable and reliable. It seems that I have narrowed my choices down to the Ruger SP101 or LCR in .357.

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

I'm guessing you want a snubbie?

Don't overlook the S&W Model 66:

pix345084151.jpg

If you want something you can actually shoot a lot, in comfort, go with a short barrelled 686 or 686+ (2 1/2, 3, or 4 inch).

It's not a pocket gun, but it'll shoot .357 all day long without damaging your hand.

If you want something you can actually shoot a lot, in comfort, go with a short barrelled 686 or 686+ (2 1/2, 3, or 4 inch).

It's not a pocket gun, but it'll shoot .357 all day long without damaging your hand.

If your goal is to shoot the hot 125 grain .357 Magnums most of the time, the above advice is golden.

However, if you want to shave a few ounces and get something slicker that will handle a ton of 158 grain .357 a magnum K frame is what you want. There are four models in that series: the fixed sights 13 and 65 (blued and stainless) and the adjustable sights 19 and 66. None of them are in production any longer but there are truckloads of them in great to excellent condition still out there.

What Zappa and Jose said. I recently bought a 66 with a 2 1/2 inch barrel and it is da bomb.

I've had a S&W Model 28 4" barrel in my collection since the very early 80's. I bought it used myself. It is the finest wheel gun I've ever owned. I used it as my carry gun when I was on the Sheriff's Department and I've taken a deer with it while hunting in Maine. There are damn few firearms that I can honestly say that I will own until my death, but this is one.

Any of the S&W K, L or N frame guns and the Rugers will hold up well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one as long as the action is tight and the timing is good. The LCR with .357 loads would be a painful experience. If you're looking for lighter weight, consider the S&W .357 J-frames in steel. You're fortunate to be in NH, as you can shop Gunbroker, Auction Arms and the like and have something shipped to your local FFL if you can't find something locally.

I agree with Jose and Titan. If you really want to shoot .357, then get a K-frame or L-frame in the length of barrel that you choose. It won't be a pocket gun, but you can actually shoot it with .357.

Shooting .357s out of a steel-frame J-frame or SP101 is simply not fun, and airweight J-frames (aluminum or scandium frame) are not something you're going to want to shoot .357s out of.

Ditto on the S/W K frame. I have a mod.13 I bought new in the early '80s and it will be with me til the end.an awesome shooter with an exceptionally high giggle factor!!

A 4" Colt Python would be ideal but out of your price range. Next up in my book would be the S&W 19 or the 66.

I own both - well all three - but the Smiths are very nice.

I currently have a 686 with a 6" barrel and have had a Ruger SP101. They are both great shooters. I am sorry that I sold the SP101 but it is still on the heavy side for CCW so if CCW is your intent make sure that you have a good stiff belt.

Bob

+1 on this. No complaints from the Mrs. on a 3" 686+

SP101 is a good shooter and no problems CCW. Hogue grips are more comfortable for 357, not needed for 38spec.

Another vote for the K or L frame S&W. I own both and had a model 28. If the model 28 isn't too large for your purpose then it or the 27 would also be a great choice. I know the Python is a great gun but I'm not a fan of Colt's double action trigger pull.

Too bad you are limited by the $, if I was to consider a 4”revolver as a carry piece I’d like to have 8 shots like in the S&W 627. You can get one for about $800.00, it is a stretch from the original budget but maybe you can get a Happy Christmas Merry birthday gift. Hey you 40 man! You deserve it! Happy Birthday.[cheers]

Agree on the previous posts about the S&W Model 19, picked mine up from another NES member not too long ago. Shoots great and will not break the bank.

c0831223.jpg

I Do not know why theres no mention of Taurus ..........they are not SW's but there are some nice used ones out there.

I Do not know why theres no mention of Taurus ..........they are not SW's but there are some nice used ones out there.

1) not available new in MA.
2) rare to find used in MA.
3) checkered history.
4) why buy a Taurus when you can get a used S&W K-frame for short dollars?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom