Where's S&W, Savage Arms, Kahr's response to the AG's decree?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I've been doing a little research and either my google-fu is very weak or our state's firearms and gun parts manufacturers have been strangely silent on yesterday's event's. Has anyone seen a response from them? I'd think S&W especially would have something to say seeing they've got the most to loose sales wise with this ban.

Strange at the very minimum.

Ya I was wondering this too. Maybe they don't want to show the AG their hand as they scheme with their lawyers? Or maybe they just said "**** it, MA isn't worth it anymore, let's focus on the other 40+ free states."

Hopefully its the former....

Lawsuits are best prepared carefully. Rushing forward with a half-baked idea can result creating a bad precedent that is impossible to over-turn. See the first lawsuit against the AG's consumer protection regulations.

Lawsuits are best prepared carefully. Rushing forward with a half-baked idea can result creating a bad precedent that is impossible to over-turn. See the first lawsuit against the AG's consumer protection regulations.

Very true, but was thinking they would have had a statement to their customers even if it was short and brief. If anything their lawyers should all circle together, as Comm2A to join and do a unified front against the AG.

My question is which number is bigger, the sales of guns to gun owners and LEOs outside Ma or the sales to just gun owners of the ARs in Ma. What, you don't think this vindictive bitch wouldn't regulate the shit out of them from not just the firearms so and point but also from an environmental standpoint and make their life miserable? She can say that the M+P series pistol is unsafe...even for law enforcement?

i am not sticking up for them, **** them they should have moved, and I don't condone their behavior; but I do understand what is at stake.

Agree with OP.
The weight of Smith and Wesson Holding Corp = the weight of about 30,000 of us regular citizens.

I hope you guys are right, but right now Smith is trying to get the government contract to replace th M9. Their profitability directly correlates with LE contracts as it is; civilian AR15 sales, espescially in MA, are probably inconsequential to them. Have they gone to bat for you before?

I'll give them a chance, but I'll be watching...

Civilian AR15 sales in MA may not be a huge number, but ARs have been a BIG part of S&Ws financial growth over the last few years (the other being M&P handguns). Reading their financial statements makes this abundantly clear.

While a military contract would probably be great for the top line, it could well end up overall margin dilutive.

They are not going to rush out and make a statement until the lawyers get a chance to look over everything.

They are not going to [STRIKE=strike]rush out and[/STRIKE] make a statement[STRIKE=strike] until the lawyers get a chance to look over everything[/STRIKE].

FIFY. If they had anything to say on this they would have moved production out of the PRM long ago.

S&W has always taken the side of the .gov. You will remember how the cozied up to the Clinton Administration. They also want the new DOD pistol contract badly, that's their focus.

The only reason that they were so civilian consumer friendly the last 10-15 years was because they lost their LE business to Glock in the 1980's and 90's. With the success of the M&P line, in institutional sales, they are less dependent on the civilian market and their thrust is now diversification into the lucrative accessories market. Retail sales in Mass are minuscule compared to their world wide market anyway.

Kahn has a new production facility in PA and could move their Worcester operation there if they wanted to.

Why all the hate on S&W? I guess they could move, but is that the smart thing to do in the middle of a federal contract bid that will significantly add to company profit. For us, this is emotional. For them, it is busines.

But over the long haul I would be looking at relocation just for the practical aspects of it. Obviously, Beretta to TN and Remington to AL were smart decisions.

The MA. market is very small compared to the global market these manufactures deal in. Loosing MA. AR sales will not even scratch the bottom line as much as a protracted legal fight would just to be able to sell this style firearm in MA. Also in the current anti AR style rifle feeling currently in this country they may not want to come out politically on the wrong side of the media at this time. This most likely will be the upper management thinking not only for S&W but most major firearms manufactures. Whatever there response will be, it will be well thought out before it is made.

Might be even be more profitable not making all of these state-compliant version of their rifles.

Nah. It's literally as easy as changing out the program in the CNC lathe that turns the barrel or mills the upper. I can go from making free state barrels too MA barrels in a few minutes ( I don't need to change a single tool or insert). I imagine it's the same for the guys milling the uppers. The engineering work/ prototyping and Marketing are what cost money.

Back
Top Bottom