• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where to find .308 Garand Chow?

Mountain

NES Member
Admittedly, I don't know a lot about feeding a .308 Garand. Once I build up some brass, I'll likely load either 168 SMK's or 155 Palmas. My question is what ammo is available for a reasonable price that has excellent brass for reloading? I'm pretty happy with the HXP brass that came from my CMP orders. What's a similar path for having minute of SR 10-ring ammo, then good reloading brass after shooting it?

Side comment- I have PM'd and emailed CMP to fix my account so that I can post there. Couple weeks and no answer! I can PM but can't post. Seems backwards but at least I have found good parts for my .308 Garand build.

Prvi seems to be adequate for reloading. ZQI likewise. Both are about as bargain-priced as you can get. I don't know of any .308 Win/7.62x51mm brass that has been unworthy of reloading although the berdan-primed cases will probably not make your list.

Last edited:
PPU a slight step above HXP in consistent accuracy.
Then there are runs on the creedmoor stuff.
I have not seen anything but "NATO" stuff lately.

Last edited:
Thanks- I picked up some once fired Win brass at the range, ~ 50 pcs. Someone had put it back in the box then tossed. I'll probably collect some more of that for one 'batch' of ~100 pcs. I'll keep such size batches together for a little sighting in and practice, then have enough for a CMP match (usually 55 rounds).

Correct, no Berdans for me. [grin]

- - - Updated - - -

PPU a slight step above HXP in consistent accuracy.
Then there are runs on the creedmoor stuff.

PPU should be GTG then. I've been ok with HXP- it's no more random than I am [laugh].

Thanks- I picked up some once fired Win brass at the range, ~ 50 pcs. Someone had put it back in the box then tossed. I'll probably collect some more of that for one 'batch' of ~100 pcs. I'll keep such size batches together for a little sighting in and practice, then have enough for a CMP match (usually 55 rounds).

Correct, no Berdans for me. [grin]

- - - Updated - - -

PPU should be GTG then. I've been ok with HXP- it's no more random than I am [laugh].

You have not shot enough of it then.

You have not shot enough of it then.

No, my accuracy is random enough to account for the flyers, LOL. Seriously, I have really good days and really bad days. [smile] The HXP in sealed tins that I bought has been good.

I saw that Midway has a sale on Winchester .308 brass but yikes, many of the recent reviews are pretty bad. The positive reviews were the usual "I made bullets and they went bang!". The negs appeared to be from people who are more skilled reloaders- neck sizing, checking case weights, volume, etc. Inconsistent volume, out of round primer pockets, inconsistent necks.

Creedmoor is a good idea- a little expensive but damn fine brass. I have not had a failed piece of Lapua brass yet in either .30-06 or .223. I assume that someday I'll start seeing stress rings towards the base. A little off subject, but I liked working with the LC brass I saved from the CMP New England Games M16 match. Very consistent, easy to work. I've hated the .30-06 LC I've tried in the past.- inconsistent and brittle. Maybe I should try some LC in .308...

No, my accuracy is random enough to account for the flyers, LOL. Seriously, I have really good days and really bad days. [smile] The HXP in sealed tins that I bought has been good.

I saw that Midway has a sale on Winchester .308 brass but yikes, many of the recent reviews are pretty bad. The positive reviews were the usual "I made bullets and they went bang!". The negs appeared to be from people who are more skilled reloaders- neck sizing, checking case weights, volume, etc. Inconsistent volume, out of round primer pockets, inconsistent necks.

Creedmoor is a good idea- a little expensive but damn fine brass. I have not had a failed piece of Lapua brass yet in either .30-06 or .223. I assume that someday I'll start seeing stress rings towards the base. A little off subject, but I liked working with the LC brass I saved from the CMP New England Games M16 match. Very consistent, easy to work. I've hated the .30-06 LC I've tried in the past.- inconsistent and brittle. Maybe I should try some LC in .308...

If you look hard enough you can still find 308 match ammo from the days gone buy.
There's some M118 still out there. Last I seen it was 800$/500?
Wolf gold 308 did well by me also but that was years ago.

Of all places, I've been getting PPU .308 match complete ammunition from Cabela's for $17/box! The components alone cost almost that. I figure for match quality stuff, it's worth the extra couple bucks up front...shoot it, save it, reload it...rinse and repeat.

Is 7.62 NATO too powerful for the 308 Garand?

The difference is not so much in the ammo but in the difference in headspace from the 308 NATO chamber specs and SAMMI chamber specs.
The navy 308 M1 and the M14 had a slightly larger headspace specifications
M80/762 NATO is actually on the lower level of "powerful" or chamber pressure.
There is also less gas volume with 308 hence the need to enlarge the gas port on 308 M1. I'm sure there is a powder/bullet combo that would have the potential to harm your op rod from to much port pressure but un likely.
So when you run commercial brass that is not up to the 762 NATO spec of the thicker web and side walls in a 762 chamber head separation, neck and shoulder splits can be a problem with the "thinner" commercial brass.

SAMMI chamber specs
Go 1.630" Field 1.638"
NATO 762
Go 1.6355" Field 1.6445"

Military could care less about reloading so all they want is the brass to survive one shot and extract and eject with out issues.

I have not seen any cartridge drawings that show a difference in cartridge headspace.
Max 1.634" -.006"
You can run into COL problems with some bullet profiles and short throats on some barrels.

As you can see though the military cuts there chambers to make darn sure any ammunition that is at the max end of cartridge headspace specs will chamber with out issue.
Now a 308 win cartridge at max case HS will be .004"
Larger than the min SAMMI chamber specs... which tithe most part will chamber basically by the force of the action.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom