Where do I start?

I tried searching, so please forgive me if this is already a thread.

I am looking to get into competitive shooting, preferably shotgun and AR. Where do I begin on this "journey"?

I have done a few corporate shotgun shootouts at East Addieville, and we (teams of 4) have won the past two years. I shoot skeet and trap as often as possible, and would eventually like to take part in a competition with fellow shooters and not just desk jockeys. I would also like to join a competitive league and compete for prizes and money. (I am sure I will be humbled immediately by my competitors, but I do have the drive, desire, and dedication to improve my skills). How and where do I start?

Thanks!

What kind of competitive shooting with the AR? Service rifle or three-gun? They are very different and require different equipment.

If you want to go service rifle, then attend a service rifle clinic. Nashua Fish & Game and Reading Rifle are offering them. They may have loaner equipment as well.

I'm not up to speed on what ARs are competitive in service rifle these days. Some folks will be along to tell you. I think White Oak Precision may be one of the favored brands: http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/

For service rifle, you'll also need other gear including:

- spotting scope
- highpower scope stand (don't cheap out on this)
- shooting mat
- shooting log book
- 1/2 a dozen magazines
- elbow pads.
- shooting glove
- shooting cart
- rifle case
- military style sling (leather or cloth, I used a leather Turner sling)

And, finally, you'll need to get into reloading, which is an additional set of equipment. For reloading match rifle rounds, I suggest that you take EddieCoyle's class, as that isn't simple.

Last edited:
I'd have to say service rifle, but I know that usually consists of m1's, 14's, and 16's.. would that include a Colt M4 .223?

You won't want to use an M4. Service rifle shoots at 200, 300, and 600 yards. Most folks these days use AR15s. Since you are using iron sights, you really want the extra sight radius (and muzzle velocity) that you get from the 20" AR15, rather than an M4.

And you'll need a dedicated service rifle upper that was built to maximize accuracy. You'll also need a good trigger. Lots of guys like Geiselle, but there are a number of options.

Derek and others will be along shortly. I haven't shot service rifle in 10+ years and only shot it for a season or so. There's a number of folks here who are Distinguished and thus have forgotten more about service rifle than I ever knew.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on Service Rifle, appreciate it M1911, I will follow up with the info you provided.

I will say I am far more interested in shotgun competitions overall though, as I have been in a couple and have taken a few lessons at EAF in RI.

Last edited:
If you're interested in trying out service rifle, swing by Reading Rifle on sunday morning. It's one of the most active HP clubs in the northeast, and it'd give you some insight into what's involved. You dont need everything in the creedmoor catalogs to get started.

It's hard to beat a White Oak upper and a Geissele trigger (any old lower will work). That combo has won national championships.

If you're interested in trying out service rifle, swing by Reading Rifle on sunday morning. It's one of the most active HP clubs in the northeast, and it'd give you some insight into what's involved.

ByeBye, you should take Jasper up on this - there are good folks up at Reading. They really helped me out when I was shooting service rifle. And it is real hoot when you hit the 10 ring at 600 yards.

Where are you located ? Old colony sportsmans Assoc. in Pembroke has a very active clay program. Skeet,trap,and 5 stand. And affordable.

I would also like to shoot my AR competitively but dont know much about it. Was thinking of going to the Military Shoot in Marshfield this weekend. I have an AR 15 with iron sights. What kind of distance do they shoot AR's with iron sights? Any info on how it works or how to prepare would be great. I reload my own rounds but other than that not much experience in shooting altogether, thought the competitive thing would help me meet others with the same interest?

Service rifle shoots at 200, 300, and 600 yards with iron sights. The best way to get started is to attend a service rifle clinic.

LOL, 600 yds. I was practicing yesterday at 50 yds. Did well but I dont think I could see the target past 100 yds. Maybe I will go to watch the first time.

LOL, 600 yds. I was practicing yesterday at 50 yds. Did well but I dont think I could see the target past 100 yds. Maybe I will go to watch the first time.

It's a huge target. The aiming black at 600 is three feet wide and you shoot from prone with a sling. It's really not as hard as you might think. 200 yard offhand is much harder in my opinion.

(Well, unless the wind is switchy anyway...)

Last edited:
Where would I get more info on the Marshfield Shoot? Like how many shots, how mush $$. Website doesn't have much info.

Where would I get more info on the Marshfield Shoot? Like how many shots, how mush $$. Website doesn't have much info.

I don't know anything about the Marshfield shoot, but there is a CMP clinic in Nashua on 4/28. I wouldn't miss that if you want to get into service rifle.

Edit: I looked up the Marshfield shoot and it looks more like a fun shoot not a real match. I'm sure it would be fun but I don't think you'd learn much about service rifle competition there.

Last edited:

It is a very, very large, high contrast target - 67" x 72" with a 36" bull. My wife had never shot beyond 100 yards when she first attended a service rifle clinic at Reading. She got some 10s on the 600 yard line. You can do it too with a decent AR15, good ammunition, a proper sling and a coach.

Don't be intimidated. Go to a clinic. They are designed for beginners just like you.

Last edited:
What would be considerd a 'proper sling' and how does that help the shooter?

Sounds like fun. I will check out the clinics first. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
What would be considerd a 'proper sling' and how does that help the shooter?

Sounds like fun. I will check out the clinics first. Thanks for the info.

If you go to the Nashua clinic you'll have a chance to see (and probably try) lots of different slings. I would suggest doing that before you buy because they're not really cheap.

If you really want to buy one now, a good green GI sling is cheap and they come in handy. I always keep one in my kit as a backup.

I run Ron Brown leather slings for the most part but some guys prefer the GI sling or one of those synthetic ones. You might love the Ron Brown or hate it. Try before you buy is the way to go.

The cotton web sling is easier to use than a leather sling with keepers and is also cheaper. If you don't like it, you still didn't spend much on it.

It's a huge target. The aiming black at 600 is three feet wide and you shoot from prone with a sling. It's really not as hard as you might think. 200 yard offhand is much harder in my opinion.

(Well, unless the wind is switchy anyway...)

I wouldn't mind trying this, as well. Do mosins count as service rifles or would I need to get me a Garand or enfield?

neither a mosin, garand (unless you have a match-built garand) or enfield are particularly well suited to target work @ 600 yards.

If you want to try it, just shoot one of us a PM, let us know when you're coming, and SHOW UP

my offer is the same for everyone. pay the entry fee's....i'll get you set up with a rifle, ammo, and gear for your first match. (although ammo fund donations are much appreciated, especially since i've been outa work for 2 months now)

my offer is the same for everyone. pay the entry fee's....i'll get you set up with a rifle, ammo, and gear for your first match. (although ammo fund donations are much appreciated, especially since i've been outa work for 2 months now)

joeendris, take him up on this offer.

Back
Top Bottom