• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where are people buying shotgun target loads these days?

Last I checked, a "case" was also called a "flat" and held (10) boxes. It makes the math easier, but less good, $-wise.

As for Trap shooters being cheap bastids that spend $$$$ on a gun, then complain about the price of ammo.....I shoot an old, $300 Browning A5 for registered targets! [laugh] Does that give me more, or less reason to whine?
My bad I though it was 16 boxes.....4 sleeves of 4 boxes.

Last I checked, a "case" was also called a "flat" and held (10) boxes. It makes the math easier, but less good, $-wise.

As for Trap shooters being cheap bastids that spend $$$$ on a gun, then complain about the price of ammo.....I shoot an old, $300 Browning A5 for registered targets! [laugh] Does that give me more, or less reason to whine?
its not just trap shooters, I see all sorts of shooters with multi thousand dollar guns shooting the cheapest ammo they can possibly find.

Dont bother reloading for 12 or 20. Its not worth your time unless your getting lead for cheap, say sub 35 a bag. I only reload 28 gauge now as its double the price.

I enjoy reloading, both shotshells and brass. I realize some don’t, but many do. I also happen to go in with a bunch of people and buy shot and wads in bulk.

Dont bother reloading for 12 or 20. Its not worth your time unless your getting lead for cheap, say sub 35 a bag. I only reload 28 gauge now as its double the price.

Shells can be had all day long at cabellas or most other places for less than 6 a box.
TS does not have a good selection of shotgun target ammo. Asked them to start carrying it.

Trap guys go toDicks cause they can get them around 5 dollars a box. Paintingwith abroad brush, Trap guys are the cheapest fxcks I know, they spend thousands on guns but if you raise the price of trap or their ammo they cry like babies

Seriously going there? I put 200 shells a week through my $2k Beretta SP. At $5/box I was deeper into ammo than I was on the gun before the first year was over. And check Cabelas. When they have anything in stock other than onsie-twosies it isn't GC's or Federals. It's Herters @ $6/box.

Sorry the gun doesn't your standards. But it doesn't have to. It's mine not your's.

Most people I shoot with reload.
I don’t have time for that so I buy mine one of three places:
1) Cabelas (There’s one local so I go in a couple times a month and check out their prices so I can buy when the selection/price is good)
2) KTP
3) During MA state shoots, my club typically has a vendor show up with a tractor trailer that sells good stuff at a good deal.

The trick I’ve done that has seemed to work well for me so far is to always buy more than I need for the foreseeable future and to always buy earlier than I need; that way I’m never in a pinch.
Good luck!
Trailer load is a good idea! Quantity discount.

I'm not a big shotgun guy but is $7 per box shipped, for Federal - Top Gun ammo 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 1 OZ #8 shot and #9 shot a decent price??
I only know of a couple vendors with this pricing that ship to MA.

I'm not a big shotgun guy but is $7 per box shipped, for Federal - Top Gun ammo 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 1 OZ #8 shot and #9 shot a decent price??
I only know of a couple vendors with this pricing that ship to MA.

That's basically standard price, and you can usually find it cheaper on sale somewhere.

Seriously going there? I put 200 shells a week through my $2k Beretta SP. At $5/box I was deeper into ammo than I was on the gun before the first year was over. And check Cabelas. When they have anything in stock other than onsie-twosies it isn't GC's or Federals. It's Herters @ $6/box.

Sorry the gun doesn't your standards. But it doesn't have to. It's mine not your's.

Obviously your missing my point. I have zero standards for someone elses guns. I could care less what you or anyone else shoots. I shoot a 100 dollar refinished 1956 20 gauge ithaca pump when pheasant hunting. My most expensive gun for skeet is a browning cxs, which probably cost less than your SP.

I was mainly poking fun at people who are shooting Perazzis, Ljutics and Krieghoffs, you know...30k dollar guns. who seem to bitch about
raising the price of trap from 3$ to 4$. I find it ironic how they all whine about the cost of shells, all have to get together and pinch pennies on reloading supplies.
Yet are shooting guns that cost the price of a pickup truck because they think it will make them better or they have to keep up with their little trap diva group.

Last edited:

And WTF is wrong with herters? I shoot it all the time and like it. Shells arent reloadable, but im not wasting my time reloading them for less than a dollar a box savings. My time is worth a little more than that.

I enjoy reloading, both shotshells and brass. I realize some don’t, but many do. I also happen to go in with a bunch of people and buy shot and wads in bulk.

Thats all great if you enjoy it.

For 12 and 20 the savings doesnt cover my time. I generally dont love it, I do it for savings.

Mettalic reloading is different as I custom tailor loads to my guns and stuff. And save double at a minimum on a box of ammo. Just reloaded high end 6.5 creedmore rounds for a savings of 20 a box. Im not going to waste my time reloading shotgun shells for less than a dollar savings a box.

Im shooting very non competitive skeet where most of us just are there to have fun. I really dont care if I shoot 20 or 25. Usually im somewhere in between.
28 gauge, yeah Im saving 5 a box by reloading, so Ill crank out a case (10 boxes) of it every 2 months or so.

Last edited:
And WTF is wrong with herters? I shoot it all the time and like it. Shells arent reloadable, but im not wasting my time reloading them for less than a dollar a box savings. My time is worth a little more than that.

I have seen Herters 20ga field loads jam up a pump or semi auto....basically the case seems to swell when it goes off and causes feed issues due to iffy extraction. Note: this was a franchi semi and an 870 pump. Both guns work fine with other brand and never have issues.

I have seen Herters 20ga field loads jam up a pump or semi auto....basically the case seems to swell when it goes off and causes feed issues due to iffy extraction. Note: this was a franchi semi and an 870 pump. Both guns work fine with other brand and never have issues.

Agreed

I've had Rios do that as well.

They work fine in my ithaca. I mostly use them in the Citiori.

Most bargain shells wont work in semi autos.

My bad I though it was 16 boxes.....4 sleeves of 4 boxes.
You're not alone. I also thought a flat was 4 bricks. I haven't shot trap is a while and I always used to buy by the brick (was fun going to the cashier at Walmart with 4 or more bricks at a time). Think I bought a flat only once.

Obviously your missing my point. I have zero standards for someone elses guns. I could care less what you or anyone else shoots. I shoot a 100 dollar refinished 1956 20 gauge ithaca pump when pheasant hunting. My most expensive gun for skeet is a browning cxs, which probably cost less than your SP.

I was mainly poking fun at people who are shooting Perazzis, Ljutics and Krieghoffs, you know...30k dollar guns. who seem to bitch about
raising the price of trap from 3$ to 4$. I find it ironic how they all whine about the cost of shells, all have to get together and pinch pennies on reloading supplies.
Yet are shooting guns that cost the price of a pickup truck because they think it will make them better or they have to keep up with their little trap diva group.
I’ve never heard anyone on any range say how great it was paying a lot for anything gun related. If they like something pricey they’ll pay for it. Otherwise everyone is looking for a good product at a value. The clays could care less what I’m sending at them-they still laugh at me.

Try different loads with different chokes, in your preferred gun. They're generally not as fussy as a .22 auto pistol can be, but some guns like some loads better than others. I once made some Frankenloads based on Federal paper hulls. No recoil in the A5. Absolutely crushed them. Unfortunately, the...vintage...components I used are all used up! [laugh]

My kid (Pullbang) can use 9 shot, no issues. Me? (Pull.....bang) larger pellets work better. [laugh]

I’ve never heard anyone on any range say how great it was paying a lot for anything gun related. If they like something pricey they’ll pay for it. Otherwise everyone is looking for a good product at a value. The clays could care less what I’m sending at them-they still laugh at me.

It was more the irony that they bitch most of any group about nickels......

Yet are shooting the most expensive guns, or they buy a gun and sink thousands into it customizing it. It always ends up getting traded for something else and they lose thousands in the process. They could buy shells for 10 years on the money they lost on these trades. Yet are whining about the cost of lead or a round of trap. Ironic.

b!tching about this stuff is part of the fun, along with arguing about which choke is best, and coming up with an excuse for why the straight-away on station 3, on a calm day landed in one piece. [rofl]

Oh, as noted above I run a cheap shottie. Having an old A5 wtih a GI sling makes it easy to find in the rack at an ATA shoot.

Back
Top Bottom