when your life is on the line..........

The .38 special round, in various loadings was the police caliber of choice in the US for most of the 20th century. It's a proven round and I often carry a Model 442 for self defense when I don't want to carry my larger Smith 9mm.

The snub nose is designed for close in self defense, but you should be able to hit minute of torso at up to 7 yards. As with any self defense firearm practice is needed.

Its what I carry in the summer (for the most part). As with any gun, it takes practice to hit the target. And not, not as many rounds as an auto, but it IS better than nothing.

There are several sites dedicated to sub use. Very informative. There's even a yahoo group

Snubby

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out!!

S&W 442 is my gun of choice when doing undercover work. I would not consider anything else and I am allowed to carry whatever I want.

I was actually thinking about this question last night while doing my rounds at my part-time security job. I came to the conclusion that if your target is at a distance that is beyond what you feel confident in accurately engaging with a .38 snubby, you probably would be hard pressed to convince a jury that you were in imminent danger of grave bodily harm.

The .38 special round, in various loadings was the police caliber of choice in the US for most of the 20th century. It's a proven round and I often carry a Model 442 for self defense when I don't want to carry my larger Smith 9mm.

The snub nose is designed for close in self defense, but you should be able to hit minute of torso at up to 7 yards. As with any self defense firearm practice is needed.

I have a .38 S&W airlight, designed for one thing, close range. If they are about 1 -3 yards, as most attackers will be, a .38 to the torso, weapon hand/arm, or knee caps, is going to put you in a far better position to negotiate their surrender. If you need more than 5 shots to end a conflict of opinions, then, by the third shot, you need to be certain you are moving your ass in the opposite direction. Most attacks will be a lot closer than we would like, and the way I practice, is by the dimensions of the largest rooms in my house, 4-8 yards. This would be one room, and two rooms combined. If you can't hit any major area, you really need to practice hard. Also, any well made wheel gun of that size, will be enough to do what you need it to do, when you need it to do it.

I was actually thinking about this question last night while doing my rounds at my part-time security job. I came to the conclusion that if your target is at a distance that is beyond what you feel confident in accurately engaging with a .38 snubby, you probably would be hard pressed to convince a jury that you were in imminent danger of grave bodily harm.

Very well said.

S&W 442 ,5rounds 38 cal +p,inside coat pocket hand on never comes out shoot from pocket 5 shots in 2 secs never FTF.

S&W 442 ,5rounds 38 cal +p,inside coat pocket hand on never comes out shoot from pocket 5 shots in 2 secs never FTF.

Huh?

EDIT: Nevermind, I get it now. Dude, you have a full QWERTY keyboard, no need to type like you're using T9 [wink]. No worries, I'm just busting on ya.

Last edited:
pHD

pHD gun the only reason I have only one is that I think they will be these and shotguns will be the last to be taken from us. I love my snubie, but this is starting to sound like a fricken tampon commercial. You can wear them everywhere. [shocked]

Standard carry gun is my M&P 9mm. 10 rounds 147 grain +P one in the pipe and accurate. However, the .38 snubbie is ultra reliable, and 38 +p's are no joke.. Just hit waht your aiming at, up close and personal..

Firepower

I think that the J Frame is a great carry pistol.
I may be off base here, but I think if you need or than 5 or 6 rounds out of your CCW pistol your in a hurt locker.

Fall / Winter CCW pistol- No Lock 342 in special 38 13.5oz 5 rounds of 125HP.

Spring / Summer CCW pistol- Seecamp in 32ACP 13.5oz 6 rounds of 65HP.

I may be off base here, but I think if you need or than 5 or 6 rounds out of
your CCW pistol your in a hurt locker. THIS IS CCW PISTOL WE ARE TALKING ABOUT NOT THE WEAPON SYSTEM OF CHOICE WHEN KNOWING THAT THERE IS A FIGHT COMMING. I'd grab an AR, AK, or 12 gauge if I knew that there was a fight.

smitty

Last edited:
I think that the J Frame is a great carry pistol.
I may be off base here, but I think if you need or than 5 or 6 rounds out of your CCW pistol your in a hurt locker.

Fall / Winter CCW pistol- No Lock 342 in special 38 13.5oz 5 rounds of 125HP.

Spring / Summer CCW pistol- Seecamp in 32ACP 13.5oz 6 rounds of 65HP.
I just can't hit anything with my 642, so I carry my PM9 instead. But the PM9 is hard to find here behind enemy lines and plenty of folks can shoot airweights better than I can.

I may be off base here, but I think if you need or than 5 or 6 rounds out of
your CCW pistol your in a hurt locker. THIS IS CCW PISTOL WE ARE TALKING ABOUT NOT THE WEAPON SYSTEM OF CHOICE WHEN KNOWING THAT THERE IS A FIGHT COMMING. I'd grab an AR, AK, or 12 gauge if I knew that there was a fight.
Agreed. In such a situation, I'll also grab my car keys and try to get out of Dodge before the fight arrives. [laugh] IMHO, the best way to win a gunfight is to be somewhere else when it happens.

My 642 is my carry gun. I can shoot it accurately enough at closer ranges. I need to reload my .38's as practice ammo is not as easy to find right now.

I can put 3 out of 5 shots on a 9" steel plate at 35yds with my airlight J frame. These are good guns that shoot well. You need to practice with it if you want to get proficient.

My personal ccw is a glock 26 with a 10rd no pinky grip and a lasermax with a clipdraw. Dont get me wrong if you need more than 5 rounds your in a world of hurt but if you cant get out of where you are the extra 6 rounds and a quick reload is welcome. Bottom line whatever your most comfortable with and accurate with.

My .38 Sp101 was my second buy...the main reason I didn't consider it as a carry is the bulk (for me) I would not doubt its dependability nor its accuracy, and I have shot it with some pretty darn good accuracy at 25 feet.

My .38 is on my ankle or in my pocket 90% of the time. If i really think it's going to be a bad day and I'm going to need more that the 5 +p's that are in there or the 2 speed strips in my pocket, then I will carry my SW 9mm and conceal it accordingly.

As the reloading old timer to me at the range the last time I was there with the +p .38, "whatever you're shooting at will either be down or scared sh!tless with that thing" so I just hope I hit what I am aiming at if the need may arise.

Better the 5 that you carry than the 15 that you leave at home. My full-time carry piece is my G33, if it is too much, then I toss the S&W 642 in my pocket.

If I am only wearing a bathing suit, the Seecamp. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom