When in app process do restrictions get added to a class A?

A few days ago I went in for my interview, fingerprinting, photo, etc. for my class A application. My town uses the MIRCS system, so one of the last things they did was print out my application from MIRCS and have me sign it. On the MIRCS application that came out of the printer (and that I signed), the Reason field was "ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES".

Does this mean that if the rest of the process (all the paperwork being submitted to the MSP, any additional background checks, etc.) goes OK, I'll be getting an ALP LTC? Or are there still steps in the process where either the MSP or local issuing authority can tack on restrictions?

Thanks!

(edited because it's MIRCS and not MICRS)

Not sure but let's hope it stays this way.

I submitted my application Sept 20th. Called the PO the other day (3 week mark) and they said they haven't gotten it back yet. Should be another two weeks or so I suspect.

Re: When in app process do restrictions get added to a class

lagrangian said:
A few days ago I went in for my interview, fingerprinting, photo, etc. for my class A application. My town uses the MIRCS system, so one of the last things they did was print out my application from MIRCS and have me sign it. On the MIRCS application that came out of the printer (and that I signed), the Reason field was "ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES".

Does this mean that if the rest of the process (all the paperwork being submitted to the MSP, any additional background checks, etc.) goes OK, I'll be getting an ALP LTC? Or are there still steps in the process where either the MSP or local issuing authority can tack on restrictions?

Thanks!

If you're good to go on the back ground check, then you're good for large cap hand guns AND carrying loaded and concealed. (I know, I know, the law doesn't SAY concealed, but we all know better)

It's quite simple:

If your PD did not intend to issue you an LTC/A-ALP, it would not have entered "All Lawful Purposes" on the F 25/26.

And, while the only reference to "concealed carry" is in the paragraph of s. 131 describing an LTC/B, open carry in Mass is NOT practical, short of being in your own home, on a farm or in your own store - preferably a gun shop, pawn shop, liquor store or jewelry store, and you'd probably scare the customers at the last two. [wink]

MIRCS

The new licenses are printed by the state and delivered to the PD. Unless your PD goes to the trouble of contacing MIRCS to change the data that has already been entered, you'll end up with ALP. The state does not do review (other than computerized record checks) as to suitability, as the decision is made at the local level.

Re: MIRCS

Rob Boudrie said:
The new licenses are printed by the state and delivered to the PD. .
NO they are not. They are printed "in house"

And they (the restrictions) can be added up to the time of printing of the card, as deemed necessary by the issuing authority.

Remember, what you signed is your APPLICATION, and what you saw was your Reason for Wanting a Class-A LTC, that is not your approval or anything else.
Some depts make you fill out a hand-written app first, which is simply to speed up the MIRCS entry process. My PD shredded mine after the officer typed it into MIRCS, and the same is done at the PD i work for. My friend applied in a neighboring town and no hand-written app was necessary.

Re: MIRCS

Republic of Mass said:
Rob Boudrie said:
The new licenses are printed by the state and delivered to the PD. .
NO they are not. They are printed "in house"
Interesting info - thanks for the correction.

When I saw the new drivers license style LTC's (credit card sized, plastic, photo printed right on the plastic) I just assumed that this was done centrally since I couldn't imagine the PD's all getting new hardware to print these plastic cards up. I do not believe there was any pre-existing need for a plastic card printer in each local PD which would cause them to already have such equipment.

I am especially impressed by the fact that the state is able to place a plastic license printer in the local PDs, even though RMV has not managed to accomplish a similar feat with the driver's license offices (they issue a temporary and the plastic one is mailed from a central location).

Where are license printed

From http://lynnpolice.org/ma__instant_record_check.htm :

...Upon successful completion of the application process a new License to Carry will be issued by the state and will be similar to the driver’s licenses issued by the state. This photo ID will be mailed back to the issuing police department. The applicant will be contacted and at the time he/she arrives to pick up the license the individuals fingerprints will be checked again.

"Some depts make you fill out a hand-written app first, which is simply to speed up the MIRCS entry process..... My friend applied in a neighboring town and no hand-written app was necessary."

Regardless of what a PD does - or does NOT - claim is "necessary;" only a fool would go in unprepared. Prudent applicants have TWO copies of the completed F 25/26 with them when they go to apply; one to file and the other to have date-stamped for their records.

IF the town is on MIRCS, the officer can take the data off the completed app. Those who "wing" their applications by submitting to an interrogation at the station are inviting problems. [roll]

Scrivener said:
"IF the town is on MIRCS, the officer can take the data off the completed app. Those who "wing" their applications by submitting to an interrogation at the station are inviting problems. [roll]

Depends on the town in question. My 'interogation' from the Firearms officer was

Sgt. "You shoot with Bobby?'

Me. "Yes Sir, he is my instructor and got me into shooting"

Sgt. "Ok, screw the Class B Restricted, your going for Class A ALP."

Me. 'Umm, Ok Sir.'

Skald said:
Scrivener said:
"IF the town is on MIRCS, the officer can take the data off the completed app. Those who "wing" their applications by submitting to an interrogation at the station are inviting problems. [roll]

Depends on the town in question. My 'interogation' from the Firearms officer was

Me. 'Umm, Ok Sir.'

I can't help but smile when I hear abuot things like that. :D :D :D

Skald said:
Scrivener said:

Me. 'Umm, Ok Sir.'

That reminds me of my Wife's first LTC back ~1978-9. I asked the chief what to put in the "reason for issuance" and he said "just leave it blank, I'll take care of that". I asked him if she needed a letter from her employer (Pembroke Public Schools) and he said "nah, she didn't need any letters". Came back in about a week, LTC/Personal Protection! Man do I ever miss our late chief (he's been deceased since 1985)! I still get to see his Wife every year, when I deliver her Poinsettia from our Masonic Lodge (he was Master of the Lodge and the reason I'm a Mason).

Your town of Hanover also claimed to have "lost" a BAG full of guns from its Evidence Room when I went to retrieve them, then magically "found" them about 2 minutes after I left. The detective playing Lost And Found then told the owner of the guns that he wouldn't release them to me and he'd have to get someone else.

I got them 3 days later from Officer Lost And Found's superior.......

You'll excuse me if I don't wax ecstatic over your police department. [roll]

Scrivener said:
Your town of Hanover also claimed to have "lost" a BAG full of guns from its Evidence Room when I went to retrieve them, then magically "found" them about 2 minutes after I left. The detective playing Lost And Found then told the owner of the guns that he wouldn't release them to me and he'd have to get someone else.

I got them 3 days later from Officer Lost And Found's superior.......

You'll excuse me if I don't wax ecstatic over your police department. [roll]
Maybe Officer Lost and Found didn't like you.

"Maybe Officer Lost and Found didn't like you."

No "maybe" about it. But then, bullies get upset when you don't kowtow to their perceived power.....

Just played a similar scenario in a certain Norfolk county town known for its incompetent cops. They tried to play a shell game with some guns and got caught lying about it. [lol]

Scrivener said:
No "maybe" about it. But then, bullies get upset when you don't kowtow to their perceived power.....
Sounds like the Bullie got one on ya. You had to go there 2 times to get the property.

"Sounds like the Bullie got one on ya. You had to go there 2 times to get the property."

True. Then again, his superior heard about mendacity, interference with representation, tortious interference with contract.

I got the guns AND an apology. One win per trip.... [wink]

I'm sure the supervisor had the Bullie quakin' in his boots and that apology was from way down in his heart and truly sincere. I bet it made for a good locker room story.
That said, as long as you felt you won, that's all that really counts.
If you've been a criminal lawyer for any amount of time and are a realist, then even you will admit that it's all somewhat of "game".

And don't forget, if not for those "incompetent cops" you'd be stuck doing probate.

Scrivener said:
Just played a similar scenario in a certain Norfolk county town known for its incompetent cops. They tried to play a shell game with some guns and got caught lying about it. [lol]

Yes, but as long as there is no penalty (money out of personal pocket, jail time) for them losing property, lying about it, etc. they still win and get to jerk people around!

There is no accountability on the part of those in the legal/LE system for doing the wrong thing, especially involving guns and gun owners.

LenS said:
Scrivener said:

Yes, but as long as there is no penalty (money out of personal pocket, jail time) for them losing property, lying about it, etc. they still win and get to jerk people around!

There is no accountability on the part of those in the legal/LE system for doing the wrong thing, especially involving guns and gun owners.
Don't think they'll ever be a law for loosing something and believe it or not, stuff does get lost and yes, sometimes stolen. If it gets lost, $$$ get paid out, if it's stolen and the perp is found, there are laws for that.
As for jerking people around, some people just deserve to be jerked around a bit.
Some people should have listened to their mothers when they were children. The respect you give is equal to the respect you receive.

"The respect you give is equal to the respect you receive."

Correct. And I'm not required to put up with anything less.

Oh - and payback is a bitch.......

Back on the Application process...
I renewed a couple months back, and the Seargant entered "Personal Protection" (this is my third license in this town).
Mine came back ALP...

Skald said:
Scrivener said:

Me. 'Umm, Ok Sir.'

LenS said:
Skald said:
Scrivener said:

Me. 'Umm, Ok Sir.'

That reminds me of my Wife's first LTC back ~1978-9. I asked the chief what to put in the "reason for issuance" and he said "just leave it blank, I'll take care of that". I asked him if she needed a letter from her employer (Pembroke Public Schools) and he said "nah, she didn't need any letters". Came back in about a week, LTC/Personal Protection! Man do I ever miss our late chief (he's been deceased since 1985)! I still get to see his Wife every year, when I deliver her Poinsettia from our Masonic Lodge (he was Master of the Lodge and the reason I'm a Mason).

It seems the old boys club is alive and well. While it is nice for the folks on the "good side" of these guys, it isn't even across the state. Too bad it is still "who you know".

Coyote33 said:
It seems the old boys club is alive and well. While it is nice for the folks on the "good side" of these guys, it isn't even across the state. Too bad it is still "who you know".

Sorry, but this is "real life" . . . no matter what you do or where you go, friends (or friendly people) get better treatment than "Joe Nobody" does. Think of how you treat people in your job/business . . . it's human nature.

You don't have to have roots going back generations, just be a "somebody", get involved in your community so that folks know you (in a positive way) and you too can become one of the "privileged few".

I moved to a town, got involved with the Jaycees and town government, discovered a problem where the town mis-allocated a payment by the Jaycees that translated to an officer not getting paid for a detail, went to the chief for advice on how to resolve it properly, and we became good friends subsequently.

Everyone has the ability to get involved, few choose to do so, and most bitch about others getting preferential treatment. We just got back home from Town Meeting (day 2) with only 100 attending (of 12000 registered voters), got to speak in disagreement with the Selectmen [lol] on some articles and in favor of others. Does this make points, damn right! However, I decided to move to a town where I could make a difference some 31 years ago, before I ever got into shooting or knew anything about our gun laws. I don't do this for the brownie points, but they do accrue from what I (and some others) do in town.

Back
Top Bottom