What's up with the Uppers,Lowers stuff?

I've been on here for months and still can't figure out all the talk about AR15 uppers,lowers,stripped uppers and lowers,LPK's,etc.
Clue me in. Why do people buy all these different parts? Why not just buy the gun you want? And I know I have read it here many times but refresh my memory, is it the upper or lower that the ATF would consider the "gun"?

There are tens of threads about building your own AR. Saves money, lets you learn how to build one, and is truly adaptable to hundreds of parts. What was the question again?

The lower is the gun I believe.

Many people enjoy the satisfaction and personalization of building their own AR. You develop an intimate knowledge of the working parts and building also allows you to configure the gun just the way you want it and often times can cost less than buying a similar gun at retail.

The lower receiver is the "gun" for legal purposes.

Additionally, many people have multiple uppers and a single lower - in essence having multiple guns.
You could have a short barrelled 'entry' rifle. (16" barrel)
You could have a long barrelled target rifle
You could have a 9mm upper, or many other calibers (233, 6.8, 9mm, etc)
A 22 LR upper for cheap practice etc -

You can have all these with just 1 lower (evil 'gun' part)

Why do people buy all these different parts? Why not just buy the gun you want?
Because

A) It is fun

B) Sometimes the only way to get the AR that you want is to assemble it yourself.

And I know I have read it here many times but refresh my memory, is it the upper or lower that the ATF would consider the "gun"?

The lower receiver.

Don't knock it until you try it. If I could afford it I would build a couple every year plus if something breaks or you have an issue you know how to pull it apart to fix it.

it's like building a 32 ford or a AC Cobra replica...

make it to your spec's from this
KittyRifle.jpg

to this
100_2585.jpg

Last year, there was also buying craze where every EBR went through the roof and it became easier, faster and cheaper to build one.

Last year, there was also buying craze where every EBR went through the roof and it became easier, faster and cheaper to build one.

Till everyone and thier grandmother caught onto the same idea ...as did the dealers that carried the items.

I've been on here for months and still can't figure out all the talk about AR15 uppers,lowers,stripped uppers and lowers,LPK's,etc.
Clue me in. Why do people buy all these different parts? Why not just buy the gun you want? And I know I have read it here many times but refresh my memory, is it the upper or lower that the ATF would consider the "gun"?

There are three main reasons why I see people buying using the "AR in pieces" method:

- you can build exactly the rifle you want if you want to customize, without taking off and replacing a bunch of parts like you would on a complete rifle.

- cost, in some cases you can build a complete rifle for less than would pay for one already assembled

- gun bans. The lower is the registered part. Therefore if you were expecting another assault weapons ban to come down the pike you could stockpile a whole lot more pre-ban rifles for the same money buy buying just the lower - than you could if you had to buy completed rifles.

Since the uppers are pretty much unrestricted ( you can have many places ship them to you after ordering on the internet), you could buy a bunch of lowers pre weapons ban, - then assemble them later once you got more money. A typical lower these days from a quality mfgr - is $100 - $150.

A complete rifle is $750 - $1500 on the average.

In MA if you had a pre-ban lower in your posession now - you could build a rifle with a bayonet lug, flash hider, and a foldable or adjustable stock.

cost, in some cases you can build a complete rifle for less than would pay for one already assembled
[often times can cost less than buying a similar gun at retail/QUOTE]
Hard to believe since I've seen AR15's for $699.99
The rest of the replies seem to all lean towards "it's a hobby" sort of thing which I can understand even though I'm not that sort of guy.

often times can cost less than buying a similar gun at retail
Hard to believe since I've seen AR15's for $699.99
The rest of the replies seem to all lean towards "it's a hobby" sort of thing which I can understand even though I'm not that sort of guy.

You haven't caught the AR bug or you'd understand! Once you start you can't stop. I prefer custom over-off-the shelf any day. It leaves you in charge of quality control. Btw, you can build a complete rifle for around $500 if you don't care about quality.

Last edited:
Once you own and AR you will see why. There is so much you can do for customizing and like some have said you can have 1 lower that you use with as many uppers as you want. All different configurations for whatever your needs are. I have a pre ban and post ban rifle. In the end the difference is negligible. I like the collapsing stock most of all and then the flash hider on the pre ban. Bayonet lug isn't that important to me. If I could only have 1 more "evil" it would be collapseable stock.

Just look around online at all the parts for these guns and you will see why they are so popular. They are also fairly simple to assemble and work on.

I own 1 pre ban lower. I have been told that I can own as many pre ban uppers as I want even though I only own 1 pre ban lower. That would be good news if it were true. Does anyone know if that is the case?

You have just asked the question that will now cause the uncontrollable spiral into EBR addiction. maybe not right now or even this year but yes you are on a course of sleepless web searches, gotstogetsit-ism, ARitis has no cure just moments of lack-O-fund-is

think of it like pants and top. sometimes you buy a complete suit with matching pants and jacket. other times you buy jeans and a tee shirt. just makes life interesting

Back
Top Bottom