• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's up with Blue Northern??

Anyone know? For the last couple of days, I drove by there after work. The place looked dark (usually the security lights are on inside) at about 5 PM.

Last night, same thing. Strange thing was too, that the big Yellow truck was in a different spot! That thing hasn't moved in years!

I had been going there since i was a kid. in the last 5 years they have been having a hard time it seems. i stopped going in about 2 years ago since they were always out of almost everything i was looking for... its a shame a gunshop that close to such a huge gun club (Harvard) is closing. i don't get why they didn't try selling it or at the least become a little bit more competitive that place could have been a cash cow. I'm going to be heading past there in a couple hours. i'll stop by and see if theres any signs on the door

Bought a bunch of fly fishing and spinning gear stuff from them as well as a handful of guns. They just couldn't get ammo and never had any when I stopped by so you kinda get in the habit of not stopping by because you expect failure.

Sad to see a local shop close.

I would stop in about once a month to look for powder but they never had anything I needed. It's a shame.

I used to work at the RFTA devens when I was still full time National Guard. Stopped in there a couple of times a week for 2 years! Great guys.......ok prices. Bought my sons 22 revolver and a henry lever action there.......both Christmas presents for him. During the 22lr drought post sandy hook he would set aside small amounts of 22lr for me because he knew I shot it a lot with my son with the 2 guns I purchased from him. Fun guys to shoot the shit with. I also bought ammo from them once a week or so when he had cals that I used.

FF to the last year......stopped in a couple of times in the last 6 months and the inventory is very thin. Just not the same happy atmosphere.......would suck if they had to close up they are good folks.

Sorry to see them go, if that's what happened. A little out of the way for me but I would stop in every once in a while. I too found some decent 22LR there during the drought. Also found some powder I needed when that was in short supply. Nice folks and I liked the combo hunting / fishing / guns aspect. Reminded me of places like that out west.

Always a great place for shooting or fishing... good guys, knew what a lindy worm blower was. If this is true it's a sad sign of the times. I did a transfer with an nes guy there a couple years back, and heard the woes of internet buyers wanting to do $35 transfers for firearms they had in stock and couldn't compete. Transfer rates increased after that. Hard to compete as a gun shop these past 8 years, hopefully things change.

I know they've been struggling. Seemed like they had trouble bringing in gun inventory of late. I expect Dick's sporting goods in Leominster then Cabelas in Berlin hurt. Too bad if they have shut down. Nice guys.

Hope not. They were one of the few places around that had a really good selection of fly tying materials.

I know they've been struggling. Seemed like they had trouble bringing in gun inventory of late. I expect Dick's sporting goods in Leominster then Cabelas in Berlin hurt. Too bad if they have shut down. Nice guys.

I think Dicks is irrelevant, BN has coexisted with them being around for years. Cabelas maybe, but I think the 7/20 bullshit has hit a lot of smaller dealers very hard- a lot of the panic stuff that people wanted to buy before the election was simply eliminated, along with other things. It's the type of economic calculus that is liable to beat up a lot of smaller shops.

-Mike

I don't think the 7/20 stuff hurt these guys much. Old style gun shop- long guns really hunting oriented and some handguns. Not much for AR's or AK's even pre Maura.

Low volume dealers like this really got hurt after Sandy Hook. I know for sure these guys had trouble getting guns and ammo when they were scarce. The high volume dealers got the inventory.

Back
Top Bottom