What's the type of MA firearms permit...

that allows a person to keep a gun in the home, but it can never be taken from the premises?

There were some other restrictions as well that I don't recall at the moment.

No such permit any more. OLD FIDs (one's that were issued for "life" until the legistraitors revoked everyone's "life" by virtue of passing Ch. 180 in 1998) allowed storage of a handgun at home but did NOT allow transportation anywhere or purchase of pistol ammo.

Current FIDs (in case it isn't clear, ALL THE OLD ONES HAVE EXPIRED . . . gun clubs still get people walking in with old ones believing them to still be valid) do NOT allow possession of ANYTHING but OC/Mace, LOW-Capacity long arms and magazines/ammo for same. If you possess anything else with only an FID card, you are subject to criminal prosecution and loss of firearms rights for life.

Chris,

Are you absolutely certain? Unless they left that section in the law accidentally, I doubt that they still exist post-1998.

You wouldn't be able to "move" the gun from the home, even under the old "permit to purchase".

Even more MA gun law confusion...

From the MGL...

CHAPTER 140. LICENSES

SALE OF FIREARMS

Chapter 140: Section 131A. Permits to purchase, rent or lease firearms, or to purchase ammunition; fee; penalties

Section 131A. A licensing authority under section one hundred and thirty-one, upon the application of a person qualified to be granted a license thereunder by such authority, may grant to such a person, other than a minor, a permit to purchase, rent or lease a firearm if it appears that such purchase, rental or lease is for a proper purpose, and may revoke such permit at will. The colonel of the state police or a person authorized by him, upon the application of a person licensed under section one hundred and thirty-one F, may grant to such licensee, other than a minor, a permit to purchase, rent or lease a firearm, rifle or shotgun, or to purchase ammunition therefor, if it appears that such purchase, rental or lease is for a proper purpose, and may revoke such permit at will. Such permits shall be issued on forms furnished by the executive director of the criminal history systems board, shall be valid for not more than ten days after issue, and a copy of every such permit so issued shall within one week thereafter be sent to the said executive director. The licensing authority may impose such restrictions relative to the caliber and capacity of the firearm to be purchased, rented or leased as he deems proper. Whoever knowingly issues a permit in violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than five hundred nor more than one thousand dollars and by imprisonment for not less than six months nor more than two years in a jail or house of correction.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131a.htm

From the CHSB website...

Q: Do I need an FID Card or an LTC Firearms to possess a gun in my home?

A: Yes. At a minimum you need an FID Card for non-large capacity rifles and shotguns. For handguns you need either an LTC,, or an FID Card combined with a Permit to Purchase firearms for the particular handgun in question.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopster...&b=terminalcontent&f=chsb_frb_faqs&csid=Eeops

C 140 S 131A makes no mention of an FID card being necessary in order to posess a Permit to Purchase a handgun.

S 131F seems to relate more to nonresidents and aliens...

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131f.htm

C 140 S 131A states that the Permit to Purchse is valid for 10 days.

C 140 S 131F states that the permit is valid for 2 years.

FWIW, I had first been made aware of the Permit to Purchase thing during the safety instruction at MRA (yeah, I know... they're not lawyers [wink] ).

Back
Top Bottom