What's the smallest AR I can build in MA without it being an SBR?

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

I'm looking to build an M4 style AR and I'm wondering how small it can be before it is an SBR? Looking on Brownells I see they sell a 16" uppers but, also noticed I could build an upper with a shorter barrel.

I'm thinking of using an A1 fixed butt stock, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

StevensMarksman

16" will be your shortest overall length for your barrel. You can use a smaller barrel (14.5") if after adding your permanently attached muzzle device your total length is 16" or longer.

16" will be your shortest overall length for your barrel. You can use a smaller barrel (14.5") if after adding your permanently attached muzzle device your total length is 16" or longer.
I'm going through this right now and making an AR upper to bring into MASS when I go shooting there, how do they define the end of the barrel? Is it from the bolt closed to the max length of the muzzle device, or is it from the first opening of the muzzle device?

I'm going through this right now and making an AR upper to bring into MASS when I go shooting there, how do they define the end of the barrel? Is it from the bolt closed to the max length of the muzzle device, or is it from the first opening of the muzzle device?

To the very end of the muzzle device.

Same way as the Feds do.

From the bolt face closed .
14.5 federally muzzle brake welded to hit 16"
In mass muzzle brake needs to be welded pinned etc no matter what .

Also you say you want to come shooting here . According to lens you can't come to mass to shoot unless you have a non res ltc..

Same way as the Feds do.

From the bolt face closed .
14.5 federally muzzle brake welded to hit 16"
In mass muzzle brake needs to be welded pinned etc no matter what .

Also you say you want to come shooting here . According to lens you can't come to mass to shoot unless you have a non res ltc..

non-res LTC is "processing". I even got some pre-ban mags just for shooting in MA.

Overall length must also be more than 26" to not be an SBR, but that's generally not an issue with ARs since the receiver + stock adds plenty of length.

Depending on ones shooting style, an adjustable stock adjusted so your nose is on the charger and pinned, would make it the shortest. the LWRC UCIW stock is as small as i've seen them.

Or get a Bullpup, like a tavor or an AUG if you want the bare minimum length.

Depending on ones shooting style, an adjustable stock adjusted so your nose is on the charger and pinned, would make it the shortest. the LWRC UCIW stock is as small as i've seen them.

Or get a Bullpup, like a tavor or an AUG if you want the bare minimum length.
I would love a Tavor, just don't have the scratch atm. Building an M4 AR seems to be the next best thing, and goes along with my need to tinker with guns =).

StevensMarksman

this is a very small AR, I don't think that you can make smaller. It's not SBR. I hope it helps.

il_570xN.422135995_rmnh.jpg

Yea, I know that but I am going to have to pick out a muzzle device i really like as it's going to require quite the effort to remove it.

Back
Top Bottom