Whats the best gun shop in the western MA area and why?

Oh and FYI, the owners of Nick's Sport Shop have been trying to sell the business since sometime last year IIRC. On their website they say that if they don't sell the shop by the end of this year that they are just going to close it and retire.

Phil is gone. He went to the post office from what I hear. I actually enjoyed working with that grumpy ****er. The trick was to treat him like a prick too and he was pretty decent.

I can deal with grumpy pricks it was the misinformation that he spewed both in shop and catering to the local news.

U guys r cooked. He asked about western mass. Springfield, ware, etc..... Is not western mass. Pittsfield, berkshire county. Western mass! Pete's is fantastic. Best honest people around.

Are you even serious? If Springfield area is not "Western MA", then please tell us what region it is part of then.[rolleyes]

Last edited:
It's been a while since we had a good Western MA vs Western MA discussion. I consider Western MA to include the entirety of the state west of (and including) Exit 2.5 on the Turnpike. Basically if it's more than 45 minutes from my house, it's Boston. I drive slow.

I like the selection at A&Js in Housatonic. They have a lot of new guns, long guns, ARs, reloading supplies, etc. They have cases of guns we can't buy in this state. They must do a lot of out of state transfers.

I bought some blackpowder stuff at Dave's in Pittsfield recently and they're real standup guys. I didn't know exactly what I needed and the guy got me all set up and even tossed a used ramrod my way (too short for a rifle, just right for my pistol). I've bought a few guns there, but the selection of non-hunting stuff is a little light.

I've bought a bunch of stuff from Pete's, but the selection is hit or miss. Lots of used stuff there, though. I bought my older 870 Wingmaster (not Express) there for a decent price.

They just let you walk out with that deadly assault shotgun??

[wink]

- - - Updated - - -

Also, exit 2.5? Is there some secret "cool guy" exit that nobody told me about?

A. With a 4+1 capacity, real wood furniture, a mile-long (sniper) barrel and a bead sight this thing is an operator's wet dream. I kind of made it less snipery by putting an 18.5" barrel on it.

B. Well, Exit 2 isn't far enough, but Exit 3 is too far. I do believe there is a secret service exit in there somewhere. It has a padlocked chain link gate so nobody could ever possibly use it.

They just let you walk out with that deadly assault shotgun??

[wink]

- - - Updated - - -

Also, exit 2.5? Is there some secret "cool guy" exit that nobody told me about?

There is a 'secret exit 2.5'. One of my relatives lived in Blandford, and since they have no stores in town they would go to the rest area for snacks and whatnot. I wouldn't want to get caught sneaking out of it just to save a couple bucks though.

Are you even serious? If Springfield area is not "Western MA", then please tell us what region it is part of then.[rolleyes]

Northern Hartford.

[smile]

SpringfieldWorthington
Population155,5751,277
Sq. Miles32.132.46
Pop Density4,84740

The only thing these towns might have in common is a dislike of Boston. If the Connecticut river valley wants to start referring to itself as "NotBoston" instead of Western Mass, that might reduce confusion.

Or sow more dissent.

[devil]

ETA: Guns & Gun Parts, Daves & Petes aren't perfect, but are good. Thread reminded me of some shops I need to try, or try again.

Last edited:
You've never been to The Gun Room, have you?

No, I have been to the Gun Room and the Ware gun shop is worse. Let's forget the fact you are in Ware Ma. or as the locals call it, "no-Ware". The staff are rude, they carry next to nothing for guns but instead make there money selling on line, the guns they do carry are things like a sh!ty old shotgun ( some of which have "brush" painted barrels! I'm not even kidding a barrel painted with a paint bush. I have not been in there in a year but I would bet that same P.O.S. rem. shotty with the brush painted barrel is still on the shelf). They don't do transfers, Their "gun permit coarse" is a joke and most people never handle a gun during the coarse, They have no ammo for anything, and they are almost never OPEN! (probably a good thing for the rest of us.)
I guess the thing you would take away from this little tie-raid is I don't like the Ware Gun Shop.

There is a 'secret exit 2.5'. One of my relatives lived in Blandford, and since they have no stores in town they would go to the rest area for snacks and whatnot. I wouldn't want to get caught sneaking out of it just to save a couple bucks though.

I'd really love to be able to get off the pike between Sturbridge and Palmer but the bastards have no exits between the two. [angry] I'm sure there are plenty of "secret" ones though.

-Mike

No, I have been to the Gun Room and the Ware gun shop is worse. Let's forget the fact you are in Ware Ma. or as the locals call it, "no-Ware". The staff are rude, they carry next to nothing for guns but instead make there money selling on line, the guns they do carry are things like a sh!ty old shotgun ( some of which have "brush" painted barrels! I'm not even kidding a barrel painted with a paint bush. I have not been in there in a year but I would bet that same P.O.S. rem. shotty with the brush painted barrel is still on the shelf). They don't do transfers, Their "gun permit coarse" is a joke and most people never handle a gun during the coarse, They have no ammo for anything, and they are almost never OPEN! (probably a good thing for the rest of us.)
I guess the thing you would take away from this little tie-raid is I don't like the Ware Gun Shop.

I find The Gun Room is worse. I feel like the staff is trying to hate me to death every time I walk in there, and last time I was there the place was almost entirely empty (This was even before Newtown). Then again, I bought my first gun from the Ware shop before I knew any better, so I guess nostalgia plays into it a bit for me.

As for "Western" MA shops, I've always had good luck with Guns And Gear whenever I deal with them at the Marlboro show, very friendly and accommodating people there. I've not yet had the chance to make it to their shop though.

I've never driven by at a time it might be open but anyone ever stop at apple valley gun shop in buckland on 116?

Never actually been, but as I understand it, the old man ran into some health problems and ratcheted back to occasional gunsmithing. Apparently his son had some involvement, but not enough to just take over and keep it all up.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I went to r&r in belcher town today. I was very impressed plenty of sigs, m&p a ton of ruger sr22. They had mostly semi autos, some wheel guns too. Prices seemed pretty good. I picked up a ruger sr1911 for 659. They have one more left, along with an e series and done Remington's. I did hear some minor bad advice while there but they were friendly and curtious. They had tons of rifles shotguns ars etc.

I called Apple Valley and when I asked if he had any handguns in stock he said no, when I asked about AR's he acted like it was the most stupid question he had ever heard. Apparently he has never stocked an AR and has no handguns.......What kind of gun shop is that? Why wouldn't you just stock a few guns if your really a gun shop? I don't get it!

Did you work with the younger guy with the long hair? He is the only Guns Inc employee that was actually friendly. Phil was pretty bad, the guys there now are not unfriendly but customer service with a smile is not their strength. Also they have a good selection but they never seem to have a good ammo supply. Guns and Gear always has ammo.

Bought a Sig P238 at Nicks in Palmer today. Nice guys. Not super talky at all but pleasant to deal with anyways, not like a lot of the other horror stories I hear from some shops. They seem to have a decent stock of everything: semi's, revolvers, AR's, hunting rifles.

Did you work with the younger guy with the long hair? He is the only Guns Inc employee that was actually friendly. Phil was pretty bad, the guys there now are not unfriendly but customer service with a smile is not their strength. Also they have a good selection but they never seem to have a good ammo supply. Guns and Gear always has ammo.

I've known Phil my whole life, that's just the way he is. Most people find him abrasive but he's actually nice and has a wealth of knowledge to share

Stopped in at Guns Inc this evening, looked pretty stocked up still. Prices I could see looked good. Saw a couple of MP-AR10's, prices looked good, had a bunch of the 9mm Beretta CX4 Storm carbines... I want one of those .... Tons of Shotguns.... I just can't go into a gun store these days without getting something... They had a S&W 1911 3" Pro Series by Lew Horton for an amazing price.... I already have one though................................ now I have 2 of them..

For anyone that went to or hung at the S&W Shooting Range and store..... Tim and Jason from S&W now work at Guns Inc... by the way.... the guys seemed friendly to me, no one bothered me until I bothered them... It took 10 minutes to do paperwork, pay and walk out the door with my 1911.. of course after I gave them my license, permit and CC along with a little bit of cash... Am I screwed now....[smile]

Stopped in at Guns Inc this evening, looked pretty stocked up still. Prices I could see looked good. Saw a couple of MP-AR10's, prices looked good, had a bunch of the 9mm Beretta CX4 Storm carbines... I want one of those .... Tons of Shotguns.... I just can't go into a gun store these days without getting something... They had a S&W 1911 3" Pro Series by Lew Horton for an amazing price.... I already have one though................................ now I have 2 of them..

For anyone that went to or hung at the S&W Shooting Range and store..... Tim and Jason from S&W now work at Guns Inc... by the way.... the guys seemed friendly to me, no one bothered me until I bothered them... It took 10 minutes to do paperwork, pay and walk out the door with my 1911.. of course after I gave them my license, permit and CC along with a little bit of cash... Am I screwed now....[smile]

Your on a roll!!!

Bought a Sig P238 at Nicks in Palmer today. Nice guys. Not super talky at all but pleasant to deal with anyways, not like a lot of the other horror stories I hear from some shops. They seem to have a decent stock of everything: semi's, revolvers, AR's, hunting rifles.

So when I was talking with the guys at Nicks, they said they had not seen any 380 in months. They were nice enough to sell me one super secret box since I bought the gun from them, but they had no more for me.

Has anyone in WMass seen any 380 in their recent travels anywhere? I'd like to put 500+ rounds through this thing.

Back
Top Bottom