Whats the best gun shop in the western MA area and why?

R&R is ok--they don't specialize in modern customer service and Rich sits all day in his chair like Jabba the Hut, but all in all, they are decent folks. I bought a gun some time ago at Ware. The kid was ok, but then the grumpy old owner came in and started being an ahole. Won't go there again.

He's always on a roll. I was all excited about my Bubba-ized stainless SW1911 for $584, and then I find out how much he spent for a minty 3" Pro... [sad2]

[banana] I got lucky, was in there tonite... was looking at one of those 12ga saiga's or the semi from Turkey that looks like an AR... missed lunch today... was jammed at the shop..

Struck out at guns inc again today... I don't even know why I bother. First all they had was .70rd Tula for x54r and they bashed surplus ammo when I asked. Then I get the well I remember when they were practically giving it away at 1.50 a bag. Ok so it's .20rd now and it's cheap. Isn't that what a mosin is for?!?! More BS was spewed.

Then I inquired about a shield for the misses to try. I immediately get those are impossible to get. We have over 500 on order and when we do get one or two they are already spoken for. You're not getting one until mid next year at least.

Fadt forward to my visit at b&g and they have supposedly been getting in a steady few per week. Being I want a .40 they say it shouldn't be too hard. They take my info and say I'll hear from them within a few weeks when one comes in. No deposits, bullshit or anything. This is how it went with my m&p 45c and they did what they said they would do. No 54r ammo though which disappointed me.

You can't beat the selection at A&Js in Housatonic in the area, but I find you pay top dollar for that selection. I guess it is supply and demand!

Really? I picked up my M1A for a hundred bucks under retail. And that was last winter when every other shop seemed to be jacking up their prices.

Nicks in Palmer should be switching to the new owner in the next couple of weeks. From what I heard, the new guy isn't very gun savvy so that should be interesting. Dick was always happy to talk to you about anything and everything!

Nicks in Palmer should be switching to the new owner in the next couple of weeks. From what I heard, the new guy isn't very gun savvy so that should be interesting. Dick was always happy to talk to you about anything and everything!

Why would someone buy a gun shop who doesn't know much about guns?

Well, it's actually a Sports shop that sells guns. Nickssportshop.com

I'm familiar with the shop, and I would bet you that most of their money comes from the sale of firearms and firearms accessories, not other sportsman's gear.

- - - Updated - - -

That tends to be a common theme in Western Mass so why not try another? Hopefully he won't record all sales[thinking]

I hope the sale agreement includes coaching the new owner for awhile. Nick's has been pretty good to deal with and I'd like that to continue.

Guns and Gun Parts, no contest. I've gotten both my favorite revolvers there, and went there for my first gun purchase even.

As for why, Mike is straightforward and honest and doesn't talk your ear off about what he thinks you should by, but will help if asked. Store is small, but he almost always has a great selection.

Last edited:
Guns and Gun Parts, no contest. I've gotten both my favorite revolvers there, and went there for my first gun purchase even.

As for why, Mike is straightforward and honest and doesn't talk your ear off about what he thinks you should by, but will help if asked. Store is small, but he almost always has a great selection.

Nice guy but really won't venture from what he normally carries.

I've bought a couple from Pete's and thought they were pretty decent. They were willing to haggle a bit.

I've heard good things about Petes, never been.
I hope Nicks remains a good shop, bought my first gun, and last gun there as it turns out.
Still laughing at the R&R Jabba the hut comment.

I stopped by PDS in South Hadley last week, there were no less than 4 customers and 4 employees all sitting around doing nothing but chatting up gun scenarios as to what was better, what was best, etc, etc. Funny as hell.

Real nice guy!!

Just wish he didn't do FA10's on a stripped lower tho....

it was Mike that did that??? Glad he said no to doing a transfer for me then.

Yeah, I looked at the paperwork for the last stripped lower he did for me and he did do the FA10 on it...

That's why I went with another guy this time.... :)

I like the selection at A&Js in Housatonic. They have a lot of new guns, long guns, ARs, reloading supplies, etc. They have cases of guns we can't buy in this state. They must do a lot of out of state transfers.

I too like AJs. I was there back in June, great selection. Ammo was pricey, but this was when it was still scarce, and they at least had pretty much everything. Would be curious to see if their prices have come down any now. Owner of the store was very friendly, my girlfriend bought a Ruger Mark III there that day.

Guns and gear, no question. R&R isn't bad, if you get them on a good day. They can have some deals, but general treat customers like a-holes. Guns and gun parts I've just never found anything worth buying at, but he's a decent guy. The rest are useless.

Back
Top Bottom