whats the best gun club in mass for long guns?

Ames Rifle and Pistol in North Easton has a 300 yard outdoor range with a heated enclosure for the winter months.

http://www.amesrpclub.com.

They also have a plinking range, a 100 yard range, an archery range, and an indoor pistol range that you have access to 24/7/365
It is about 35 minutes from Everett without traffic.

I have never been to the Harvard club but I hear good things about it.

It's probably a good 50 minutes from Everette without traffic. I've heard good things about the MRA in Woburn, but haven't checked it out yet. I'm hoping to take a tour tomorrow morning.

Reading is the local club for all the high power matches - their range goes out to 600 yards. However, I've been told they're selective with their membership.

It's probably a good 50 minutes from Everette without traffic. I've heard good things about the MRA in Woburn, but haven't checked it out yet. I'm hoping to take a tour tomorrow morning.

MRA is AWFUL for shooting rifle. They have a 100/200 yard range, but there is a 1 round capacity limitation.

I'm a member at MRA. If you're patient enough to make it through the loooooooong initiation process and then the silly six month waiting period before they'll let you use the outdoor rifle range it's OK. I'd give it about a C+.

MRA is AWFUL for shooting rifle. They have a 100/200 yard range, but there is a 1 round capacity limitation.

That's there so we don't piss off the neighbors with constant rapid fire. It is pretty lame but it's not MRA's fault.

I walked up to Ames, happened to catch the President, talked to him, wrote a check. He gave me my key to the gate and membership card right there. Application says you need a sponsor and I know a couple of members. I also thought it was affordable

I'm a member at MRA. If you're patient enough to make it through the loooooooong initiation process and then the silly six month waiting period before they'll let you use the outdoor rifle range it's OK. I'd give it about a C+.

Oh yeah, forgot about the six month waiting period.

That's there so we don't piss off the neighbors with constant rapid fire. It is pretty lame but it's not MRA's fault.

No, it's not - they have two other outdoor ranges with higher capacity limits, AND one of those ranges hosts "rapid fire" bowling pin matches every month over the summer. It's not because of the noise.

It's because the club has a visible minority of idiots who can't control their fire, and a board full of paranoid control freaks. Ifyou're one of the good ol' boys you can do whatever you want, but if you're not part of the inner circle you're stuck to one round at a time... Try keeping your NPOA with a mag change every shot...

A woman from the club said they can possibly waive the 6 month period if you can demonstrate good safety skills and proficiency

My girlfriend can shoot a Rifleman score with open sights, but they refused to even let her take the test until she was a member for 6 months. Again, I'm sure there's a 'good ol' boy' exception.

Last edited:
Ames Rifle and Pistol in North Easton has a 300 yard outdoor range with a heated enclosure for the winter months.

http://www.amesrpclub.com.

They also have a plinking range, a 100 yard range, an archery range, and an indoor pistol range that you have access to 24/7/365
It is about 35 minutes from Everett without traffic.

I have never been to the Harvard club but I hear good things about it.

i looked at them last spring/summer. i printed out the app, filled it out and took it in as instructed. i got there and there was no one to take it. 2 older gentleman told me just to leave it on the table, which i did. never heard a thing from them.

Well, I didn't know about the 1 round restriction. That kills it for me. How are you supposed to train "staying on target" if you can only do one round at a time? If they have people who can't control their weapon, perhaps they should be asked to leave?

No, it's not - they have two other outdoor ranges with higher capacity limits, AND one of those ranges hosts "rapid fire" bowling pin matches every month over the summer. It's not because of the noise.

That's how it was explained to me. I assumed that the 50 yard outdoor rifle range had the same capacity limit. (And Pope is just .22 and air pistol.) Anyway, the explanation made sense at the time but you're probably right. I'll bump my grade down to C-. [wink]

i looked at them last spring/summer. i printed out the app, filled it out and took it in as instructed. i got there and there was no one to take it. 2 older gentleman told me just to leave it on the table, which i did. never heard a thing from them.

If you are still looking at trying to join Ames your best bet is to contact one of the board members listed on the site and see if you can meet them at the club or something. Ira the president tends to be very accessible when it comes to this. Then when you renew you can just mail in your renewal with a prepaid envelope after that. I just got my new key and card today delivered to my door.

If you are still looking at trying to join Ames your best bet is to contact one of the board members listed on the site and see if you can meet them at the club or something. Ira the president tends to be very accessible when it comes to this. Then when you renew you can just mail in your renewal with a prepaid envelope after that. I just got my new key and card today delivered to my door.

actually i think they lost me because of it, maybe in the future but not right now. if they can't be bothered to make a simple phone call, neither can i. i got on the list at another small club that was supposed to take up to 2 years to get in, they raised the limit of members by 50 this year so i made the list and paid my $'s yesterday. now i just need to go to a meeting, the orientation and I'm good to go.

Check out their website and find the list of Board of Directors. Ira Siegal is the President and his phone number is listed. He is a great guy and a real old school operator. Former special forces officer, Robin Sage Instructor.

I get the impression that all of the staff are volunters so that may explain the poor follow up. Not making excuses, just saying.[thinking]

Facilities are awesome, check out the pictures. I took my son there recetly for his first range trip. We had the entire facility to ourselves. If you can skip out during normal business hours you will often find the place deserted. It's like having your own range during the week. In fact, I have never been there during a weekday when there were more than 4 other people.

On second thought... nevermind, I want to keep it all to myself![grin]

Just kidding. I'd be happy to meet you there sometime and you could check it out as my guest. Another thing that I really like about the club is that they do not limit the number of times you can bring a guest, but they limit the same guest to twice a year. After that they feel the guest should get a membership.

Send me a PM sometime it would be my pleasure to meet you there to check it out. I also think they have a big get together every Saturday with food and drink etc.

Harvard has no limit on the number of rounds you load or how fast you shoot them. You can even shoot machineguns as long they're registered with the ATF.

TonyDedo where do you shoot in Reading being Medford

Reading Rifle & Revolver:
http://readinghighpower.com/index_page.htm

I'm not a member, I just know their reputation among the high power shooters.

actually i think they lost me because of it, maybe in the future but not right now. if they can't be bothered to make a simple phone call, neither can i.

You have to be careful about where you set your expectations - these aren't for profit business, they're clubs staffed by volunteers. Besides, leaving your application sitting on a table and walking off is hardly a secure way of applying, regardless of what the old timers said.

Harvard has no limit on the number of rounds you load or how fast you shoot them. You can even shoot machineguns as long they're registered with the ATF.

Harvard seems to be the favorite among the most active shooters I know. I've been meaning to join, but I haven't been able to get out to the club during the right hours.

Check out their website and find the list of Board of Directors. Ira Siegal is the President and his phone number is listed. He is a great guy and a real old school operator. Former special forces officer, Robin Sage Instructor.

I get the impression that all of the staff are volunters so that may explain the poor follow up. Not making excuses, just saying.[thinking]

Facilities are awesome, check out the pictures. I took my son there recetly for his first range trip. We had the entire facility to ourselves. If you can skip out during normal business hours you will often find the place deserted. It's like having your own range during the week. In fact, I have never been there during a weekday when there were more than 4 other people.

On second thought... nevermind, I want to keep it all to myself![grin]

Just kidding. I'd be happy to meet you there sometime and you could check it out as my guest. Another thing that I really like about the club is that they do not limit the number of times you can bring a guest, but they limit the same guest to twice a year. After that they feel the guest should get a membership.

Send me a PM sometime it would be my pleasure to meet you there to check it out. I also think they have a big get together every Saturday with food and drink etc.

I have checked out the pics and the website and it was the rifle range that had me applying. i loved everything i read and saw about the place. it's just the lack of interest on their part i didn't like. the 2 gentlemen that where there were nice enough (it was during business hours) they just couldn't help me with the app. then the lack of followup......

the club i just paid for is a very small club which fits me better, but they only have a 100 yard range. during late summer and fall i was going there for the Sunday open trap which i had never tried before, so as a result i have since gotten to know some of the guys etc.. it seems like a good fit for me. just wish the rifle range was better. it is also closer to me than ames is. as for dinners and such, i was told yesterday i had just missed a veal, moose and bear dinner they ran, so they do those as well. next weekend they have a sportsman's show going on so i do think i will enjoy it there.

if at sometime in the future i want to add or change clubs I'll contact you, so thanks for the offer.

Last edited:
to join a FUDD club is like getting a neutured LTC. at first, it's like "cool" - i'm just happy to have guns and use the range.... but as time passes, you realize that you actually got punk'd and begin to wonder WTF.....

I have checked out the pics and the website and it was the rifle range that had me applying. i loved everything i read and saw about the place. it's just the lack of interest on their part i didn't like. the 2 gentlemen that where there were nice enough (it was during business hours) they just couldn't help me with the app. then the lack of followup......

the club i just paid for is a very small club which fits me better, but they only have a 100 yard range. during late summer and fall i was going there for the Sunday open trap which i had never tried before, so as a result i have since gotten to know some of the guys etc.. it seems like a good fit for me. just wish the rifle range was better. it is also closer to me than ames is. as for dinners and such, i was told yesterday i had just missed a veal, moose and bear dinner they ran, so they do those as well. next weekend they have a sportsman's show going on so i do think i will enjoy it there.

if at sometime in the future i want to add or change clubs I'll contact you, so thanks for the offer.

Hey.... that sounds like a decent club. What club is that? I want to eat moose too![grin]

chet in my case I'm not so sure. I am a very quiet laid back type of guy who doesn't like lots and lots of people around. i'm shy, a bit of an introvert and as such i don't know [STRIKE]very[/STRIKE] hardley any others who like shooting or could give me refferences that a lot of clubs seem to want. this club didn't ask for any and as i stated earlier i got a chance to meet some of the guys during the open trap shoot who would be my refs if needed.

also the club has everything i need in a club with the exception of a longer rifle range, who knows maybe in the future. the club now has trap, skeet, indoor and outdoor handgun ranges, indoor and outdoor archery ranges. this is not a club with a bar - which i don't want. it has special events like some of the other clubs i have read about etc so i like it.

another club i liked is Hanson and i took my classes there but it just seems a bit big for me and it also is a little farther than the one i joined.

which one did i join you ask? it's one i am not so sure goes over well here, since i received a message once that didn't seem to care for it. it's the Standish Sportsmen's Association

maybe, as you said, in the future i may change. but being the quiet guy that i am this may be the perfect fit.

Go to ZHA down the street. They took my application and gave me a membership on the spot.

Back
Top Bottom