What's the best caliber for pigs?

458 Socom. Been toying with the idea of building one in this cal.

.45acp if you get treed, 7.62x39 SP or HP for a rifle round

Last edited by a moderator:
9mm will drop a bear in it's tracks, so I'd go with that. Or .500 magnum. Either one really, all handgun cartridges are the same.

Just for clarification, my question was more than a little sarcastic. Everyone knows that .380 auto is the be all and end all pig round.

I've only shot one with a 7.62x54. It was a bit overkill. Nothing smaller than .357mag in a pistol round I think. Friend in Alaska who raises and slaughters his own pigs had a bad experience with .38 SPL ball not doing it. They had to go back in the house for a bigger gun. His daughter was crying for hours over it.

.50 cal is great if your are a bad shot. .22 LR is great if you are a greT shot. Everything in between will work depending on skill except .40. This round is not good for anything except a starter pistol.

9mm will drop a bear in it's tracks, so I'd go with that. Or .500 magnum. Either one really, all handgun cartridges are the same.

Where I grew up, there were many wild pigs, and one of my friends actually sold his 9mm Sig pistol after having to dump about 9 shots into a pig before it went down. The pig was about 200 lbs, and all of the bullets went into the head/neck/chest.

I've only shot one with a 7.62x54. It was a bit overkill. Nothing smaller than .357mag in a pistol round I think. Friend in Alaska who raises and slaughters his own pigs had a bad experience with .38 SPL ball not doing it. They had to go back in the house for a bigger gun. His daughter was crying for hours over it.

7.62x54 for all your needs

2012-01-07_19-32-42_911.jpg

300 Blackout with Barnes VorTex 110 grain projectiles... Carry it in a drop-leg holster and you're good to go. Or on a single point sling (out of the way when needed). Since you're in NH, you could opt for a subsonic round, maybe a 220 grain projectile, and put a can on it. The hog next to Wilbur won't know why he's sleeping during the day... [rofl2]

The damn Pig likely wanted to be fed, when I had pigs they would raise hell when I came tot he pen with slop or grain. That said my butcher popped them with a .22 to the head. Dropped like a sack of tatters.

Back
Top Bottom