• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's the best caliber for pigs?

458 Socom. Been toying with the idea of building one in this cal.

.45acp if you get treed, 7.62x39 SP or HP for a rifle round

Last edited by a moderator:
9mm will drop a bear in it's tracks, so I'd go with that. Or .500 magnum. Either one really, all handgun cartridges are the same.

Just for clarification, my question was more than a little sarcastic. Everyone knows that .380 auto is the be all and end all pig round.

I've only shot one with a 7.62x54. It was a bit overkill. Nothing smaller than .357mag in a pistol round I think. Friend in Alaska who raises and slaughters his own pigs had a bad experience with .38 SPL ball not doing it. They had to go back in the house for a bigger gun. His daughter was crying for hours over it.

.50 cal is great if your are a bad shot. .22 LR is great if you are a greT shot. Everything in between will work depending on skill except .40. This round is not good for anything except a starter pistol.

9mm will drop a bear in it's tracks, so I'd go with that. Or .500 magnum. Either one really, all handgun cartridges are the same.

Where I grew up, there were many wild pigs, and one of my friends actually sold his 9mm Sig pistol after having to dump about 9 shots into a pig before it went down. The pig was about 200 lbs, and all of the bullets went into the head/neck/chest.

I've only shot one with a 7.62x54. It was a bit overkill. Nothing smaller than .357mag in a pistol round I think. Friend in Alaska who raises and slaughters his own pigs had a bad experience with .38 SPL ball not doing it. They had to go back in the house for a bigger gun. His daughter was crying for hours over it.

7.62x54 for all your needs

2012-01-07_19-32-42_911.jpg

300 Blackout with Barnes VorTex 110 grain projectiles... Carry it in a drop-leg holster and you're good to go. Or on a single point sling (out of the way when needed). Since you're in NH, you could opt for a subsonic round, maybe a 220 grain projectile, and put a can on it. The hog next to Wilbur won't know why he's sleeping during the day... [rofl2]

The damn Pig likely wanted to be fed, when I had pigs they would raise hell when I came tot he pen with slop or grain. That said my butcher popped them with a .22 to the head. Dropped like a sack of tatters.

Back
Top Bottom