• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's the best caliber for pigs?

9mm will drop a bear in it's tracks, so I'd go with that. Or .500 magnum. Either one really, all handgun cartridges are the same.

Seriously? I imagine if you got him directly and cleanly into the heart yes but otherwise I dont think that'll happen. Ive hit them with 30-06 220 gr and busted their shoulder to see them still try and get away until I lobbed another shot into them.

Sent from the blind

All right - that was funny

Shot placement is key, but I would want some thing like a 44 mag handgun and a 30-30 rifle. 12 ga. with slugs would probably do the trick too

Absolutely this. There aren't many problems you can't solve with a 12 gauge. Might want a .30 cal rifle instead, depending on a lot of factors. .30-30 is a classic choice for the thick woods of new england, a .300 win-mag guide gun is an awesome big game hunting gun, but damn, that hurts to shoot.

Last edited:
Seriously? I imagine if you got him directly and cleanly into the heart yes but otherwise I dont think that'll happen. Ive hit them with 30-06 220 gr and busted their shoulder to see them still try and get away until I lobbed another shot into them.

Sent from the blind

If there's one animal in North America that might take a second shot, it's the hog. Those things are as tough as they come. The way I see it, that's mother nature saying, "If you want bacon, you've got to work for it!".

Pussies. Get the drop on 'em from a tree with a knife. They arent called "pig-stickers" for nothing !!!! [wink]

(Rambo reference)

Pussies. Get the drop on 'em from a tree with a knife. They arent called "pig-stickers" for nothing !!!! [wink]

(Rambo reference)

Every single time I see blacktail wandering near where my friends and co-workers are drinking, I try to convince someone to try this. If I ever succeed, NES is the first place I'll post the video. (I'm learning why they say you can have MORE fun when you're the non-drinker in the group.)

Boar spear FTW
images

Back
Top Bottom