What's the best caliber / ammo for looters post-Florence?

Stuff like this always makes me look up the elevation of my town for no apparent reason. Norwood is 146ft above see level, I will forget this information within the next 10 minutes.

Good luck.

We've been on the phone the last day or two with our son. We're up north right now, he's in our house in Georgia. Questions like "Hey Dad - where are the tie-downs for the gazebo?" (Answer - In the 5 gallon bucket next to the generator).

It looks like South Carolina's going to get hit pretty hard. The other thing you need, especially if you have kids - is something to do when the power goes out. A deck of cards goes a long way, Monopoly is a nice way to kill a couple of hours. If it gets bad, you'll probably lose wifi and power, and you won't be telling the kids to go outside and play.

Deck of cards. Cribbage board. Rummikub. Cards Against Humanity. LOL

Books. Lots of books. Hit the local liberry.

And don't forget to make love. Candles and the sounds of pine trees splitting can be quite romantic. Leave the guns in the closet...

Stay safe and stay sexy,

~Matt

iu

Last edited:
Stuff like this always makes me look up the elevation of my town for no apparent reason. Norwood is 146ft above see level, I will forget this information within the next 10 minutes.

I just checked my GPS 1085ft - that’s about the extent of my GPS abilities / I did get the trail maps in it though.

#4 Buckshot with an IC choke (modified to stretch the range abit). High pellet count and good stopping power - if you have to engage at indoor distances - remember to have a mop.

Wishing you stay safe and well.

Carolinian NESers: Good luck and Godspeed.

11 miles from the nearest salt water (mouth of the Neponset).
29 miles from Marshfield, the great circle bearing to the Canaries.

Cumbre Vieja Megatsunami

Do you feel lucky?

Flood insurance is all federally underwritten.
I was paying over 2k per year (all in full only BTW) to FEMA. Then earlier this year I discovered you can get private flood insurance for half the cost! Come December I’m telling FEMA to F off and getting private insurance for $1200. Still sucks but saving $1000 a year is better than nothing. Wish I owned the house so I didn’t need to waste money on flood insurance...

I was paying over 2k per year (all in full only BTW) to FEMA. Then earlier this year I discovered you can get private flood insurance for half the cost! Come December I’m telling FEMA to F off and getting private insurance for $1200. Still sucks but saving $1000 a year is better than nothing. Wish I owned the house so I didn’t need to waste money on flood insurance...

Federal flood zones here in North Carolina are subsidized, yes. Then, there are what are called ‘Cobra’ zones. Those areas are not subsidized. So, for example, on North Topsail Island, it’s one long road. And you can drive through subsidized sections and cobra sections. In general, those in cobra zones bought the house for cash. Because last I checked, flood insurance in a Cobra zone is north of 20k a year. Which a bank will require that you purchase.

Keep in mind, it is inpossible for the island to flood. A flood is defined as slowly rising water. There will be plenty of floods inland. But on the island, the water doesn’t rise slowly, it’s call storm surge and it comes fast! Storm surge is covered by your home owner’s policy. So far as I know, through all the hurricanes North Topsail Beach has witnessed, not one homeowner has ever been paid off by a flood insurance policy.

Flood insurance for beach properties is a joke and a scam.

Yeah, they deserve thank you! Mine was built in 92 or 93. It’s pretty dated and my wife wants a new color scheme. So, yeah, thanks!

The insurance companies pay us, but, inevitably the government bails then out with our taxes.
My fiance works for electric insurance which is the insurance arm of GE for all the executive's winter homes in Florida. Government pays in the end for all flood insurance since no bank will cover it

Yeah, they deserve thank you! Mine was built in 92 or 93. It’s pretty dated and my wife wants a new color scheme. So, yeah, thanks!

The insurance companies pay us, but, inevitably the government bails then out with our taxes.

Ah gotcha..Well Godspeed to you and your family hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Good luck @StevieP

My wife’s sister has an ocean front house on Carolina Beach south of Wilmington. They have secured it and returned to their other house in Raleigh.

They real are not having the best of luck with that beach place, it has just been a few years since damage was repaired after a dude went on an arson/murder spree next door.
Carolina Beach arsonist, murderer gets 2 life sentences

:emoji_tiger:

Can’t believe people are recommending backfeeding circuits, Paladin is going to have you horsewhipped.

Storm surge prediction. Some areas are “Over 9’ above ground” so that’s going to be a mess. A co-worker had relatives go through that in Sandy, and the neighborhood was trashed, with some houses collapsed. Note that the estuaries often get very high water,

HURRICANE FLORENCE Storm Surge Inundation

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom