What's my best option for heating if the power goes out?

Japanese houses are made of paper walls! CO2 will bleed through the walls. [smile]

Anyone got a match?
Oh the humanity!
8791443_38a710c2e7_z.jpg

My gas forced hot air system is 110V and only draws about 150W to run the blower motor and control electronics. During the last extended power outage, I got it up and running off a small inverter running off my car. It was a jury-rigged hack job, but it was enough to warm the house back up. Cost less than $100 and now I have an inverter and a bigass extension cord that I can use for all kinds of things.
Yup. Definitely the way to go. Just make sure that you go with a true sine wave setup, or you're setting yourself up for shortening the lifespan of the blower and controls.
This. Go Kerosene. I grew up using them. They are a perfect fit for what you ware trying to accomplish and when used PROPERLY they do not make a house smell. Small storage for a high heat output.

Kerosene heaters are no more dangerous than guns in a house with children. Teach the kids to respect tools, not fear them.

Seriously guys. Saying "Don't use a kerosene heater because I know someone who died!" is like saying don't buy a gun or a car because they kill people. Stupid people get killed by lots of things. Don't be stupid, educate yourself and reap the rewards.
Agreed. If I had kids, I wouldn't be leaving loaded firearms OR lit kero heaters around when I wasn't watching them, though. There were opinions asked for and given...that's all.
Yeah... watch how fast an insurance claim gets denied if something DOES happen with one of those illegal heating units. And he survives to make a claim. Not to mention what the reaction of the condo association will be if a maintenance mammal comes in and happens to see one of those illegal units parked in Tony's condo.

Seriously, folks... recommending someone deliberately break the law?
jpshakehead.gif
It may or may not be an intelligent law... but you can still get in trouble anyway. If you're planning to make a stand about laws, at least make it about something you want to live or die for. And no one ever went over the top shouting "For the Kero-sun!"
1) Anything you do w/o a permit can earn you an insurance non-payment in this f*cking state. I'd CERTAINLY never fail to permit my work when I replace wiring on a one-for-one basis, replace or repair an exterior door or window, replace a gas stove, or fix a leaking sink.
2) Yet another reason not to live in a condo. Ever.
3) Breaking laws is practically an obligation in this state. The laws are a joke, so I see no issue with someone making a joke of them so long as you're not hurting anyone - I'd like to see them and their kids make it out of the situation alive, obviously.

Guy has a gas stove and you all are clamoring about not having space heaters.

Please get a grip on reality and stop acting like a bunch of anti-gun million mom nut bags, because that's exactly what you all sound like. People survived raising families with fires and open flames in there homes for the first 10,000 years of human existence. Calm the **** down with the captain OSHA safety bullshit.

There are people on this board with children who have it on winter nights using a propane Buddy heater. They didn't die and were happy to have the heat.

They also make these fancy new inventions called CO alarms. They run on batteries.

My non-government sanctioned advice is to ignore the law, get a kerosene heater and don't tell anyone. Like a lot of other laws, one must put personal survival above bureaucratic nonsense.

This. Know how they operate and act accordingly. Hard to believe how many here blather on about mass law for a way to keep your family warm when regular means are not available. Man up and do what you have to to keep your baby warm.

Unvented kerosene space heaters are dangerous and illegal in MA. (Ref 148 MGL 25A)
Propane space heater installations are regulated by 527 CMR 30. (Require permits, permanent gas line, oxygen depletion auto shutoff, CO detectors, etc etc)
The only viable option is to install a transfer switch that would allow your furnace to run from either line or generator.
The trustees may or may not allow usage of generator, so you would need to get an opinion prior to making any commitments.
My advice? Move to a single family house.

Hmm dangerous and illegal in MA, mine are in Maine, they must be just dangerous, now ya telle after 5 years!

Where can you even buy kerosene these days? I haven;t seen it for sale anywhere in a long time. I believe the Mr Heater Buddy can be used indoors.

Here's the Hess locator, centered on Concord (OP's 20), with the Kerosene Filter on.

Hess Express - Store Locator

IIRC it was ~3.50/gal in October, in Natick. Pump and go.

- - - Updated - - -

Where can you even buy kerosene these days? I haven;t seen it for sale anywhere in a long time. I believe the Mr Heater Buddy can be used indoors.

Here's the Hess locator, centered on Concord (OP's 20), with the Kerosene Filter on.

http://www.hessexpress.com/StoreLocator

IIRC it was ~3.50/gal in October, in Natick. Pump and go.

I grew up in NYC. My father was a bit crazy, and when times were difficult he would heat our apartment with a kerosene heater. This was highly illegal, and, more importantly, very irresponsible; we had 5 gallon containers of kerosene stored in a large apartment building (10+ floors) in Morningside Heights. My point is that even though the air quality in our little apartment was poor, we all survived.

We sometimes heat our job sites in the winter with large kerosene heaters, and I typically buy the kerosene from a local heating oil company. They usually have one pump for kerosene priced between $3-4/gallon. I believe the kerosene at Lowes or Homedepot is much more expensive.

I usually wait until the taunton dies of exposure. Then, I slash its belly open with a lightsaber, and hunker down inside until the temperature increases.

I am in almost the exact same situation as the OP. I have a town home/condo and I have forced hot air gas heat. Legal or not, most condo bylaws strictly forbid space heaters of ANY kind. Would I trust myself to safely run heater inside? Yes. Do I trust my dumbass neighbors whose homes are attached directly to mine to do the same? Hell no! I have considered a small inverter gen. Feeding power directly to the furnace (which has been isolated electrically). The bylaws where I live also forbid storage of combustibles, but not propane grills, so I have considered a smaller propane gen. as well. An inverter gen. running propane would be as close to ideal as possible for my situation. There is also a guy online that you'll find if you search, that has a small bank of sealed batteries that he can run his furnace off of for 3-5 days if I remember correctly, using an inverter.

Edit: found link.http://kissurvival.com/running-your-gas-furnace-from-a-generator-or-inverter/

Last edited:
gas heat, warm air, is 120v at 100w max, you're only running the fan & control circuit. A Honda 1000w or 2000w will run that thing all day on a miniscule amount of fuel. the big problem in condos is running wires concealed....the furnace can be setup with a switch to swap the feed to an inlet outside, so you don't have to leave the slider/door open. But you'll probably be introduced to the 'wonders of wiremold'!

gas heat, warm air, is 120v at 100w max, you're only running the fan & control circuit. A Honda 1000w or 2000w will run that thing all day on a miniscule amount of fuel. the big problem in condos is running wires concealed....the furnace can be setup with a switch to swap the feed to an inlet outside, so you don't have to leave the slider/door open. But you'll probably be introduced to the 'wonders of wiremold'!

Wiremold? Explain.

Look into a kerosene heater.

Remember the ice storm a few years back? It knocked out power at my dad's in northern Arkansas for a *month*. He had just converted from wood burning stove to central heating, so they were screwed on heat.

I sent them a kerosene heater and they ran that thing in their house that whole month to keep warm.

Last edited:
This thread is very telling. A lot of day ladies posting and whining. By quite a few folk's comments here, myself and my family should be dead. We've used Kero and propane heaters and stoves all of our lives. I still have one in the basement and 2 in our cabin up north. Not one instance of death, illness, or property damage...ever, in all these years. If you're too insecure or unable to care for your family without government intervention, then you deserve what you get.

Grew up using kerosene heaters in the house. Occasionally you would find the room coat with a light layer of soot. Good times!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Many condos will prohibit the use of generators.

Someone stated earlier that most furnaces require 220V. That is not true. I would be very surprised to find a 220V furnace in the vast majority of residential homes.

The OP stated that he doesn't have a problem with the cold and will use insulators such as more blankets clothing etc. I'm not sure how the addition of a wife and child suddenly changes it into a survival situation. If the OP can survive using blankets, so can't his wife and child. I know this is hard to believe, but even infants can survive in cold weather. People need to realize that there is a difference between comfort and survival. It sounds like the OP is unlikely to be confronted with a survival situation, but simply wants the comfort level. This is the difference between wants and needs.

I've lived in a condo (as a renter) I will never do it again. IMO the best bet for extended comfort would be the post about using sealed batteries and an inverter to power the furnace. If it were a house I would say to just get a generator.

They make safe ventless propane heaters for indoor use, I used them in a log cabin I built for years. If you follow space to btu ratio, and output you are fine .if you're still worried get a detector. I stand by my post. You should research the products before making blanket statements- nothing personal

Can you give an example of a product I can by today that could be powered by a 5 lb. or 20 lb. LP tank that's save for indoor use?

I got a Mr. Buddy propane heater that was marketed as "indoor safe" but then after reading the manual, it said that by "indoors" they meant a tent or bob house. Or a garage, with an open bay.

Just trying to get a free education, not pushing back. I ended up returning my Mr. Buddy propane heater and opted for an electric space heater (which I can power with a generator that's outside).

- - - Updated - - -

People need to realize that there is a difference between comfort and survival. It sounds like the OP is unlikely to be confronted with a survival situation, but simply wants the comfort level. This is the difference between wants and needs.

Right. You can have your heat set to 58* or even 56* during the winter months and be fine. You'll be miserable and uncomfortable, but you'll make it. Heck, you can probably get down the lower 50* range without worrying about plumbing issues.

...Right. You can have your heat set to 58* or even 56* during the winter months and be fine. You'll be miserable and uncomfortable, but you'll make it. Heck, you can probably get down the lower 50* range without worrying about plumbing issues.

All Winter, my thermostat is set to go to 59 every night at 9:00 PM. If I am up watching a movie or something, I just bump it up to 63 for an hour or two. No problem here.

If you use a HUMIDIFIER you'll be very comfortable at 70 degrees or less. They make a huge difference.

And your skin won't crack, nor will there be static electric sparks.

That's another nice thing about Forced Hot Air. As the ductwork is aleady in place, adding a Built-In Humidifier or Central Air is easy.

Last edited:
Wood boiler (indoor). My thermostats don't come off of 74 all winter.

I wish I could find a decent, affordable, STEAM wood boiler. Heck, I am almost thinking coal would be good, like in the olden days. I'd just replace my oil tank with a coal bin.

If you use a HUMIDIFIER you'll be very comfortable at 70 degrees or less. They make a huge difference.

And your skin won't crack, nor will there be static electric sparks.

That's another nice thing about Forced Hot Air. As the ductwork is aleady in place, adding a Built-In Humidifier or Central Air is easy.

Again, the steam humidifies on its own. It also "circulates" without any blowers or pumps. Heck, I bet I could run a coal boiler to heat my house without any electricity at all.

Might need to go back in time to around 1930 or so.

I don't live in MA, so it's perfectly legal for me to buy and use a kero heater. My point was that just because Mass says something is illegal doesn't make it dangerous. Kerosene heaters are used all over Japan for primary heat, and I'm not hearing of mass casualties due to CO poisoning or fires. And they are legal in 48 of our 57 states :)

As far as the OP using it in his condo, he's a big boy and can understand and deal with his state's laws, I'm sure.

That there tells you how stupid this nanny state is. Hell, we had towns that wouldn't allow you to pump your own gas for a while too. Marlboro was one of them. Now that was truly stupid.

I wish I could find a decent, affordable, STEAM wood boiler. Heck, I am almost thinking coal would be good, like in the olden days. I'd just replace my oil tank with a coal bin.

Again, the steam humidifies on its own. It also "circulates" without any blowers or pumps. Heck, I bet I could run a coal boiler to heat my house without any electricity at all.

If you ever do a search on "Automatic Fireman", "Robot Fireman", or such, you'll discover that in the early 20th Century many houses had very elaborate, mechanical devices in their basements. There were Mechanical Thermostats, and Handlers that dropped chunks of Coal into the Furnace as needed. There were bimetal strips, feeding chutes, etc, and they worked well. Or so I've read. I'm old but not OLD.

- - - Updated - - -

That there tells you how stupid this nanny state is. Hell, we had towns that wouldn't allow you to pump your own gas for a while too. Marlboro was one of them. Now that was truly stupid.

I think Stoneham still forbids it. Could be wrong.

Mines in the basement and runs through my baseboard heat. It does self circulate. We have bypass valves to do just that when the power is out.

No fireplace of any type, and cannot make modifications to the house structure to install one.

You can always look into a Honda Freewatt system. Generates electricty when the heat is running, so you can sell the electricty back to the grid. Can use it as a generator when the grid is down. You have to do the math, but with the installation rebates and money from selling back to the grid, it could be very cost effective.

http://www.freewatt.com/freewatt_plus.pdf

Haven't read the last few pages of this thread but I was in Lowes yesterday dick-docking around the propane area and I saw an "indoor safe" propane heater. Worth looking into I'd say.

Here you go:

Shop Mr. Heater 18000 BTU Portable Propane Heater at Lowes.com=

Those are great. I have one. It does, for the record shutoff, by itself when inadequately ventilated before you pass out or feel light headed and will not allow you to re-light until you do ventilate.

They also have adapters to use normal cylinders so you don't have to stock a million 1lb'ers.

I think one of the lessons learned after multiple major natural disasters is that availability of things like gasoline, kerosene, propane, even natural gas under the right circumstances is limited. For a short duration even you'll be more comfortable than your neighbors. After a while, though, you'll all be in the same boat.

The only thing that's going to keep you heated long run in an extended situation is wood. Only because you can procure wood yourself. I can generate a lot of cut wood from a few gallons of gas, which generates to a lot more heat than that gas would generate running any sort of heater or generator. It doesn't take a whole lot of gas to cut a whole winter's supply of wood, particularly if you skip the log splitter and split by hand.

Back
Top Bottom