What's more important: Concealability or Ease of Draw?

Situation dependent.
Working out in the woods at my old job, ease of draw. Trucking a generator and load of gas down to my family in Jersey after Sandy, concealability.

I treat this as a constraint optimization problem. Concealability just needs to be adequate, and I try to optimize draw speed while satisfying that adequacy threshold.

The threshold for adequate concealment is lower than you probably think it is, because people are amazingly oblivious. A few months ago I took a friend hiking. When we got to the trailhead, with him in the passenger seat, I pulled my holstered P938 out of my pocket (I was pocket carrying that day because I wasn't dressed for waistband carry) and stuck it in the lockbox at his feet. When we got back after the hike, I did the reverse and returned it to my pocket. A few moments later, he looked down at the lockbox and said, "oh, that's a good way to store a wallet!".

People see what they expect to see.

For me simplicity and ease of carry are first, comfort second, and concealment is last. Not because I don’t value invisibility, but because as mentioned most people are completely oblivious. I was always worrried in the early days of “getting made”, but the reality is that even my own wife doesn’t know or notice unless she happens to rub her hand near my waist and feels it, in which case she usually just pulls her hand away, but never mentions it. I like the simplicity of my LC9s Pro in a Remora sticky holster because it is super quick to tuck and go no matter what I’m wearing, and is as natural as grabbing my wallet to leave for the day. Actually many days I leave without my wallet, but never without my gun! It also helps to retain my pants since they are sized to accommodate the gun, as is my belt. Like others have said situational awareness is key in allowing draw time, but if someone were to get a drop on you, it wouldn’t matter how fast you were anyway...

Back
Top Bottom