• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's in your medical kit?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I have a fairly good sized medical kit in my BOB, which has the basics and then some. What I'm looking for in this post is what you keep in your personal medical kit you use with your vest or plate carrier. I'm assuming it's a paired down version of your larger kit and most likely contains the basic essentials. Question is, what are those basic essentials for this kind of kit?

So as the title asks, what in your medical kit for this kind of application?

A CAT Tourniquet, Swat Tourniquet, Quikclot Gauze, Emergency bandage and a HALO chest seal. The CAT goes on the vest where it is very easy to grab, the others in a pouch. Look at the class taught by Bill Lewitt at Down Range Firearms Training. It is a good course on trauma and how to use that stuff.

A CAT and an Israeli bandage. I also have assorted gauze, bandages, tapes, etc for normal scrapes and bruises. The chest seal seems like overkill.

I started with an Adventure Medical Kit Mountain Series (1-8 people 14 day) bag and then augmented it.

Would take quite a while to catalog everything in it. I dumped most of the cheap stuff like tools and budget bandages and replaced with real tools and quality bandages. Added Quick Clot sponges, better gauze, more 4x4 pads, and beefed up the medications.

The real thing to upgrade is you. None of the gear will help much if you have no idea how to properly use it. For example, I carry a sterile medical stapler, but knowing when to and how to seal a wound is just as critical as being able to.

LL Bean does a really good weekend Wilderness First Aid course up in Maine for only $200. You can also find week long Wilderness First Responder courses around.

Another helpful thing is to get a GOOD book on wilderness medicine and actually read it. Not just keep as reference. Notice I keep mentioning wilderness medicine. Far too much of the common first aid and training is geared to having a 911 response on its way. In a SHTF, or when you are out in the wilds of Maine, medical help isn't going to be as easy and knowing the timeline for things is important.

At very minimum I carry a Belt trauma kit by z-medica

TK149_500_1.JPG

QuickClot Belt Trauma Kit- BTK

Quick clot, swat T, cpr mask and gloves. Fits right on a belt or behind a trauma plate.

Last edited:
A CAT Tourniquet, Swat Tourniquet, Quikclot Gauze, Emergency bandage and a HALO chest seal.

This is a good baseline. If you're wearing a carrier the only things in there should be severe wound treatment. You don't want to be digging through an EMT bag trying to find shit when you or your buddy are bleeding out. KISS.

I'd add smelling salts are a good addition.

I have a military ific kit. I agree with first post on everything besides quick clot. I feel this is more of a personal choiice because I learned that stuff has to be scrubbed out of the wound before it can be worked on. I watched a doc scrub it out of a bullet wound once and swore that I would never do that to anybody agian. Agian its my personal preference not to carry it but on everything else I agree.

I have a military ific kit. I agree with first post on everything besides quick clot. I feel this is more of a personal choiice because I learned that stuff has to be scrubbed out of the wound before it can be worked on. I watched a doc scrub it out of a bullet wound once and swore that I would never do that to anybody agian. Agian its my personal preference not to carry it but on everything else I agree.

To the best of my knowledge the new combat gauze does not need to be scrubbed out. It stays in one piece and can be removed just as gauze.
th
The blue strip will also come up on an x-ray incase any breaks off.

The powder form is what had to be scrubbed out. Quick clot has gone on record that the old powder form should be thrown away.

The old powder would also heat up to about 200 degrees and was burning badly in usage. The new quick clot heats up to about 98 degrees (body Temp)

In high wind the old shit would also blow around and could cause eye injuries. Its not an issue with the gauze.

th

That being said I am not a Doctor and if your real world usage suggests other wise please comment below. I want everyone to stay safe.

Last edited:
Yea, when you buy the Quick Clot, look for the term "sponge" on the description. Much better than the old powder.

Also, the hands down best book I've ever read is this: Wilderness Medicine

It is 2300+ pages. It is expensive. It is written by a doctor that has been there and done that. I encourage you to get the sample from the Kindle version and read the introduction. The rest of the book is just as informative. It can be used for reference, but I really encourage you to read it and take notes so that you can use the notes to help create your supply list. It is written for a medical professional and as such, the terms used are generally assumed to be known. Another reason to read first.

The Wilderness First Responder textbook is here: Wilderness First Responder

It is good, and worth having. I still recommend the course itself.

An OK book, but not nearly as extensive is: Medicine for the Outdoors

This is 500+ pages by the same author as the first, but is much more a pocket guide version. Some good planning information, but sticks more with the how-to of getting on with business. Sadly, it also falls into the "seek professional medical help" too often. However, if you are just looking for a guide with planning and procedures that don't require heroic actions, this might be the best for most people.

I think the best two books on dealing with medical issues when you are truly on your own are:

Improvised Medicine
Where there is no Doctor

Both of these really go into the details of what to do and only recommend true medical facilities when things are dire. However, you should have a good working knowledge of basic first aid and an understanding of anatomy before these really help. Not like you can Google terms. (^_^) Short of a Wilderness EMT course and some years in the backcountry, this is probably the best reference you can find for reasonable money.

Keep in mind that regardless of the book, nothing beats a good course. I took the WFR course on Thompson Island out in Boston Harbor in like '94. I'll never forget the field exercises. Especially the one were we had to deal with a neck injury in the pouring rain. And the 'victim' was playing the part of a difficult person. I swear to this day if I hear someone say "I can't feel my legs", I'll smack them. (^_^)

And none of these books really discuss the bedside manner that can be so important. Keeping a patient in a positive state of mind goes a long way to their survival. Back in the early 1990's I was part of a team that carried a hiker down off Mt. Lafayette in N.H. He had broken his ankle slipping off a rock near the summit. I was having lunch by the hut at the time someone called for help. I wasn't part of the party, or with the guy who 'took charge', but it is what made me look into getting trained. We 2-man carried the guy from the upper mountain, but the terrain is very rough and it was extremely exhausting. So, the 'leader' directed us in the construction of a litter which we strapped the guy into and immobilized his injured limb. It was long enough for 8 of us to carry which made the whole deal far easier. The entire way down, the 'leader' kept cracking jokes and otherwise had us all laughing. The hike down didn't seem to take long and when we arrived, the guy was in some pain, the ankle was really swelling, but he was in good spirits. Another guy had gone down ahead of us to get an ambulance, so it was there waiting for us. I never did get the guy's name that took charge, but he knew what he was doing and kept everyone engaged and in good spirits.

In any case, the point of the post is to get ye some schoolin'.

Wilderness First Aid in Freeport, ME : Wilderness First Aid

Last edited:
Thanks Chris. Great write up. I'm seriously considering taking that course. Plus it will give the wife time by herself around Freeport. Um, wait. Maybe that's not such a good idea....[thinking]

+1 on Bill Lewitt, he knows his stuff and is a pretty effective instructor.

I 2nd that...taken his classes and they are valuable and up-to-date.

Here's the listing from my kit (prices are from 8/2010 and may have increased):

Product Code Description Qty Unit Price Total Price
20-0080 NAR Combat Application Tourniquet 1 $34.95 $34.95
20-0110 SWAT-T Tourniquet 1 $9.29 $9.29
20-0020 Celox-35 Gram Pouch 1 $23.49 $23.49
20-0070 Celox Trauma Gauze 1 $39.99 $39.99
50-0100 Bolin Chest Seal 1 $19.95 $19.95
50-0320 NAR HyFin Chest Seal 1 $14.60 $14.60
30-1490 Nasopharyngeal Airway (28 Fr., 9.3mm) with lube 1 $4.85 $4.85
40-1050 NAR Emergency Trauma Dressing 6″ 1 $5.45 $5.45
40-1030 NAR Emergency Trauma Dressing (ETD) Abdominal/Stump 12″ x 12″ 1 $14.00 $14.00
30-0142 NAR S-Rolled Gauze 4.5″ x 4.1 yds (2 rolls) 2 $2.50 $5.00
30-1700 12 hour Light Stick (Red) (2 ea.) 1 $2.60 $2.60
50-0670 EMT Shears 7.5″ 1 $2.95 $2.95
70-0422 Maxpedition F.I.G.H.T. Medical Pack (black) 1 $46.99 $46.99
TOTAL $224.11

Tactical Development Group Trauma Kit

Yea, when you buy the Quick Clot, look for the term "sponge" on the description. Much better than the old powder.

Also, the hands down best book I've ever read is this: Wilderness Medicine

It is 2300+ pages. It is expensive. It is written by a doctor that has been there and done that. I encourage you to get the sample from the Kindle version and read the introduction. The rest of the book is just as informative. It can be used for reference, but I really encourage you to read it and take notes so that you can use the notes to help create your supply list. It is written for a medical professional and as such, the terms used are generally assumed to be known. Another reason to read first.

The Wilderness First Responder textbook is here: Wilderness First Responder

It is good, and worth having. I still recommend the course itself.

An OK book, but not nearly as extensive is: Medicine for the Outdoors

This is 500+ pages by the same author as the first, but is much more a pocket guide version. Some good planning information, but sticks more with the how-to of getting on with business. Sadly, it also falls into the "seek professional medical help" too often. However, if you are just looking for a guide with planning and procedures that don't require heroic actions, this might be the best for most people.

I think the best two books on dealing with medical issues when you are truly on your own are:

Improvised Medicine
Where there is no Doctor

Both of these really go into the details of what to do and only recommend true medical facilities when things are dire. However, you should have a good working knowledge of basic first aid and an understanding of anatomy before these really help. Not like you can Google terms. (^_^) Short of a Wilderness EMT course and some years in the backcountry, this is probably the best reference you can find for reasonable money.

Keep in mind that regardless of the book, nothing beats a good course. I took the WFR course on Thompson Island out in Boston Harbor in like '94. I'll never forget the field exercises. Especially the one were we had to deal with a neck injury in the pouring rain. And the 'victim' was playing the part of a difficult person. I swear to this day if I hear someone say "I can't feel my legs", I'll smack them. (^_^)

And none of these books really discuss the bedside manner that can be so important. Keeping a patient in a positive state of mind goes a long way to their survival. Back in the early 1990's I was part of a team that carried a hiker down off Mt. Lafayette in N.H. He had broken his ankle slipping off a rock near the summit. I was having lunch by the hut at the time someone called for help. I wasn't part of the party, or with the guy who 'took charge', but it is what made me look into getting trained. We 2-man carried the guy from the upper mountain, but the terrain is very rough and it was extremely exhausting. So, the 'leader' directed us in the construction of a litter which we strapped the guy into and immobilized his injured limb. It was long enough for 8 of us to carry which made the whole deal far easier. The entire way down, the 'leader' kept cracking jokes and otherwise had us all laughing. The hike down didn't seem to take long and when we arrived, the guy was in some pain, the ankle was really swelling, but he was in good spirits. Another guy had gone down ahead of us to get an ambulance, so it was there waiting for us. I never did get the guy's name that took charge, but he knew what he was doing and kept everyone engaged and in good spirits.

In any case, the point of the post is to get ye some schoolin'.

Wilderness First Aid in Freeport, ME : Wilderness First Aid

For those not wanting to trek to ME, is this a comparable substitute?

Wilderness First Aid with WMI and REI - REI Outdoor School classes

For those not wanting to trek to ME, is this a comparable substitute?

Wilderness First Aid with WMI and REI - REI Outdoor School classes

NewGuyRay and those interested in wilderness medicine education, the three most well established schools in the U.S. are:

1) Wilderness Medical Associates (WMA) which is the one providing the course in Maine that Chris referenced. They are based in Maine but have courses running throughout the U.S.

2) Wilderness Medicine Institute (WMI) which is a part of The National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS). WMI/NOLS has it's HQ in Lander, WY and, aside from the the REI sponsored Wilderness First Aid Courses, rarely provides training in the Northeast.

3) Stonehearth Open Learning Opportunities (SOLO). SOLO has it's main teaching facility in Conway, NH, and provides courses there and primarily in the Northeast, but like the other providers, they have the ability to provide training nationwide as well as globally. All three in fact are known worldwide and run courses internationally.

There are other good wilderness medical training providers, but those are the big three in terms of how long they've been around providing high quality wilderness medical instruction. You can't go wrong any of the three. I have had great experiences with NOLS and WMA, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend SOLO either, check them all out and find a class that fits your schedule and location. That said, they all have their own way of doing things, and all will make the course fun. Wilderness First Aid Courses won't be much different from one to another, but if you decide to move up to a 70-80 hour Wilderness First Responder Course, the differences definitely become worth considering. The main thing though is to get out and get it done, whatever level of training you choose. Training you are "Planning on doing" doesn't help anyone ;)

I took my skills and knowledge as an EMT and in my "prep-per group" I am the medical guy..as well as the armoror and stuff but when it comes to what to have in your SHTF BOB medical kit, bandaides and neosporin wont do much. My group is planned on bugging in and fortifying my house like Fort Knox, but I have a US Army 3 day assault pack as my GHB with a small medical kit in it. My vehicle has a large First Responder pack in it all the time and then I have two pre-packed medic kits in my home as well as over 35 boxes of first aid and medical supplies.
I can't get the photos to upload from my Google acct so heres the link to the album they are in.
https://plus.google.com/photos/1102...s/5863487975958844529?authkey=CPqwiMLWoMPklwE

The small green kit is what is in my GHB. I bought it in eBay with stuff in it, but took it all out. I believe the box was found in a fallout shelter in Georga or something. Heres what I have in it:
-3 large wound dressings
-2 medium rolls of sterile gauze
-20 butterfly bandages
-3 small gauze pads
-10 small "papercut" bandages
-2 rolls of medical tape, one fabric, one plastic
-2 pairs of tweezers
-1 medical shears
-25 alcohol prep pads
-1 triangle bandage
-2 elastic wrap-bandages
-2 pairs of nitrile gloves.

the other two are much larger. The orange Plano one is a Field/home surgery kit as well as advanced first aid. The green Plano one is a general first aid & wound treatment kit with items for stopping heavy bleeding, putting pressure on wounds, GSW, puncture and fracture kits as well are in it.

-Dave

I'm a Nurse and I was a Surgical Tech. for almost 3 years. Off the top of my head I have:
Snaps (curved and straight)
Bandage scissors
ABD pads
4x4s
2x2s
NG tubes
Ambu bag
artificial airways
neck brace
epipen
IV start kits
IV solutions (NS, LR, D5W)
Tourniquets
Sutures (Both absorbable and non-asorbable, different needle styles)
Iodine/Betadine
Clorhexidine/hibiclens (For those allergic to shellfish)
Alcohol pads (I must bring home at least 10 of these by accident at the end of a shift)
Skin staplers
Dermabond (skin glue - Though in a pinch superglue works)
Gloves (latex/non-latex)
Medical tape (regular/micropore)
Skin prep
Surgical masks
Surgical gowns

I also have a healthy stockpile of antibiotics (Bactrim DS, Amoxicillin, Clindamycin, Pen VK)

Are those in your BOB? Or do you have a dedicated medical pack?

I'm a Nurse and I was a Surgical Tech. for almost 3 years. Off the top of my head I have:
Snaps (curved and straight)
Bandage scissors
ABD pads
4x4s
2x2s
NG tubes
Ambu bag
artificial airways
neck brace
epipen
IV start kits
IV solutions (NS, LR, D5W)
Tourniquets
Sutures (Both absorbable and non-asorbable, different needle styles)
Iodine/Betadine
Clorhexidine/hibiclens (For those allergic to shellfish)
Alcohol pads (I must bring home at least 10 of these by accident at the end of a shift)
Skin staplers
Dermabond (skin glue - Though in a pinch superglue works)
Gloves (latex/non-latex)
Medical tape (regular/micropore)
Skin prep
Surgical masks
Surgical gowns

I also have a healthy stockpile of antibiotics (Bactrim DS, Amoxicillin, Clindamycin, Pen VK)

Immodium AD tablets. Enough for 2 people for 14 days. If you get diarrhea during a SHTF situation, you are dead.

Back
Top Bottom