Whats in your Bug Out Bag?

Lots of good ideas on here folks, I dig em'. Keep em' coming.

I've been car camping for years and enjoy the cushy amenities you can bring.
However, over the last year Mrs. SheepDog and I've been slowly buying more gear based on getting away from the anchor of the truck and having everything we need for a comfortable week or so hiked into the woods. We're looking at internal frame packs and I plan on using them as bug-out-bags or packs if you will when not in camping mode. It seems everyone is building dedicated bug out gear, is anyone using their current camping system or a hybrid of? My thought is I'll keep the pack loaded 80-95% with the typical camping gear and I'll be able to quickly top it off with last min needs and be able to GTFU quickly. I'm thinking a small bag with docs, passport and whatnot to throw in it (or carry) that wouldn't go camping. I live close enough to work where I can easily get home on foot. I have essentials and 1st aid in the truck.
I'm definitely going to pick up one of these, it's pricy but I like the way it appears to carry and the instant access to your side arm.
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Home/tabid/762/Default.aspx

Thoughts, what say you folks?

Upgraded my BOB to this:
http://www.majorsurplus.com/Mil-Pack-45-P13870C2352.aspx
What is a ideal weight for a full BOB? This is just info for my personal use, my starter bob was to small and wanted something bigger this bag rocks!! Bigger= more weight but what is a pratical weight for a bob for a guy like me @ 225 lbs is there a science to it?
What are your packs weighing in at?

Last edited:
My camping/backpacking pack is about 25 pounds depending on how much food I have. With 25 pounds I can do 10-15 miles a day for a few days at least. To make it a week, I think I would need closer to 35-40 pounds.

Want to keep my pack 25-35 pounds I have been keeping my pack with me on the road to work all week just to get into a routine of having stuff with me water, change of clothes, you know the basics It also lets me change items to fit my daily needs.

I carry ~ 25 items.. from clothes to ID to Pistol rounds..water treatment, passport (expired) meds, first aid, maps, gps, lights, batteries. 2x knives (1 survival, 1 combat) .
Book on local edibile palnts and berries. Amoxicillian, sutures, and Lidicane patches.

Thats just the easy stuff..
Here are some images of some of the gear..

Katadyn.jpg

TMSK-595blade.gif

Model1911SS.jpg

PeaceKeeper17blade.gif

This one does not fit in my bag...but goes on my shoulder when my bag is on my back..my beloved Bennelli M-4

M-4Benelli.jpg

B.R.A.S.S.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom