What would you do in this scenario?

Back in the day when I was younger and lived in Boston, way before I could get my LTC I was riding my bike home. When I was approaching my house I rode past 3 teenagers, all black. I kept going and took a left up my street, which was a steep hill, so I got off my bike and began to walk it up.

While I was walking my bike up my street, I hear one of the teenagers calling me to come over to him, I looked back and just kept walking my bike up to my house. One of the black teenagers ran up to me when the other 2 were across the street, he said, "come here, I have something to ask you" he then came right up to me grabed me by my neck and said, "give me your bike or you going to get hurt." Now I gave up the bike because I wasnt in the position to fight with this kid, he was older and bigger than me. He took the bike and ran off with his friends.

Now I was thinking today about this, if it had happened now when I have my LTC and I had my gun on me. I would have probably pulled my gun and drawn on him, if he didnt leave and approached me again I would have shot him.

What would you have done?

By the way, I did get the bike back about a week later thanks to a friend who was working for the city and were cleaning up some streets. He spotted the bike in this kids yard and called me and we called the cops. The cops never did anything to the kid though. [angry]

have you read Massad Ayoobs book " In The Gravest Extreme"

Anytime you pull a gun you are going to be "the bad guy" in the eyes of the law and the press, and it's a long process to get out of the hole you dig by brandishing a weapon.

Walk softly, be aware of your surroundings, carry extra magazines.

I would have been in fear of my life if my guard had somehow been dropped and he'd gotten his hand on my neck and I'd have no other choice than to drive his nose into his cranial cavity with the palm of my hand.

disparity of force comes to mind: 3 guys against 1 and one grabs me by the neck in a potential attempt to choke me). At the very least, my hand would have been ready to pull up my shirt.

I am with you italianbostonian.

I would have been in fear of my life if my guard had somehow been dropped and he'd gotten his hand on my neck and I'd have no other choice than to drive his nose into his cranial cavity with the palm of my hand.

and then when his other two friends come at you the same time, you better have another plan. IMHO, a snubby revolver isnt a bad backup to the palm to the nose.

Similiar situation happened when I was 17 or so. I had the reaction to flip open the knife I had in my pocket...but, I also had the presence of mind to realize if I stabbed the kid, I'd be the one going to jail. I folded it back up.

caught up with him a year later & slammed a 2x4 across his back...I felt better. [wink]

Most likely the man who had you by the neck was disadvantaged and he was crying for help. I hope you gave him some kind words to help him deal with his troubled life. By pulling a gun you would have cemented into him that violence is the way to go. I suspect he left the bike in his yard for you to take as a sign of thanks. .38 snubby and a composed attitude would also work well.[laugh2]

I'm not sure what i would've done in the situation. The best thing to do was what you did,roll over and give up the goods. After all we do live in Mass and many people on a jury would have seen you as the agressor and the other youth as a defenseless person. Any violent action on your part would have landded you in jail fighting to prove you felt your life was in danger.

I'm not sure what i would've done in the situation. The best thing to do was what you did,roll over and give up the goods. After all we do live in Mass and many people on a jury would have seen you as the agressor and the other youth as a defenseless person. Any violent action on your part would have landded you in jail fighting to prove you felt your life was in danger.

Hate to say it, but I think I agree here. Now, if he had pulled a knife or if his homey's displayed bats as they approached...very different story.

The whole situation would be different if weapons were used. Although it's a tough call as to how th jury would view the case.

If I were carrying, I would throw the bike, wallet, whatever his way and run the other, while getting my handgun ready.

3 guys--do not know what they have. What if all 3 are packing? Is that worth the $200 to find out?

Also, this guy was pretty close to you. Could you draw the gun before he could grab you and disarm you, or knife you, or whatever? A risk to be factored in.

If you actually shot this guy, you would probably be going to the klinker for a long while!

The correct way it to be more situationally aware, and not get into such situations (3:1, bad guy so close, etc). Sometimes just unbuttoning your coat and placing your hand inside is going to get the perp to think twice and walk away. But only if he is still 30' away.

Unfortunately, the situation today could be even worse..

Given the same situation, with or without even the slightest provocation on the victim's part. These kids (today) may well have just killed or severely beaten the victim for the sheer enjoyment of it.
Compound the angle/ issue of a white victim/ african perps.

All of a sudden the story unfolds as perp #1, heard victim call him the "N" word and that is why perp#1 went over to victim. victim is combative and hurling racial slurs all over, perp 2+3 go to "assist" perp #1....

Perps found not guilty., Victim charged with a "hate crime". Victim's family is sued by perps family. makes natl news. Victim's family branded as racists. Nobody in family is able to keep job due to press coverage. Forced to sell house, move, take lesser jobs..
Perp is given the bike by judge as part of the settlement..

Last edited:
While I would like to think that disparity of force SHOULD come into play, who knows because this is Mass.

I'm going to take a couple of tactical gun courses. I think that it is the responsibility of a gun owner who is going to carry to be VERY familiar with when/how to use a gun.

It is actually surprising to me (as a recent gun owner) that this state makes you jump through ridiculous paperwork hurdles to get the license, but little/no attention is really put on handling a gun, the legal implications of using a gun, etc.

Think back to your gun safety course. Watch a dumb video, load/unload a couple of dummy rounds, take a multiple choice test a gorilla could pass... did you really walk out feeling confident in your "gun knowledge"?

you let them run up on you?

he would have had to whip my ass or worse to take my bike! i delivered a lot of newspapers to buy it and no punk is going to take it. i've been there done that.

revenge is sweet!

i don't carry when i ride my mountain bike nowdays, but then again, i ride fast... same rules apply.

i was raised to hit back if hit...

and now

[popcorn]

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had a gun on me, I would definetely shoot, trying to get all of them. Such a typical story: a midsize helpless-looking female was violently attacked by three larger males who threated to rape and kill her.

This has been bothering me for the last day. The Stoneham Savings Bank was robbed on Monday.
http://wbztv.com/local/stoneham.crime.police.2.949669.html

I live in Melrose and occasionally use the ATM there. What would you do if you are carrying in a bank and someone walks in and attempts to rob it. My first instinct is to do nothing and let it happen. It's not my money, my money is insured by the FDIC, but the more I think about it, the more angry I get.

This has been bothering me for the last day. The Stoneham Savings Bank was robbed on Monday.
http://wbztv.com/local/stoneham.crime.police.2.949669.html

I live in Melrose and occasionally use the ATM there. What would you do if you are carrying in a bank and someone walks in and attempts to rob it. My first instinct is to do nothing and let it happen. It's not my money, my money is insured by the FDIC, but the more I think about it, the more angry I get.

Your first instinct is correct.

Gun or no gun, if the black kid got the drop on you, pulling your black gun would not have helped you if he decided to put you on the black asphalt and you...blacked out. :p

(Its all about awareness and having an escape plan))

Which, while a damn good idea, is a myth. The nasal bridge and septum will break and possibly shatter, but the old wive's tale of "You can kill someone by palm heeling their nose up into their brain" is total bunk.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% for disabling and/or seriously injuring an attacker in this situation, but there's better ways to do it. The appropriate response would be dictated by the incident specifics.

italianbostonian: You should move out of that hell-hole of a city and become the countryitalian. We don't steal bikes out here.

Back
Top Bottom