What would happen with a change in Chief on renewal

I'm lucky to live in a green town and have a friendly Chief of Police. Since acquiring my A/ALP a year ago, I've bought a few handguns and a few long arms. What would happen if the Chief changed to someone who was anti RKBA when my renewal comes up?

Let's assume automatic denial. What are the typical red towns issuing?

LTC-B? Does that mean I have to get rid of my pre-ban high-cap mags for pistols & rifles? But can keep the pistols & long arms themselves?

FID-only? Does that mean I have to sell my handguns and my pre-ban high-cap mags for pistols & rifles?

I'm having a hard time getting my head around the fact that my ability to participate in this hobby is based on the discretion of a single individual. That person is friendly now but who knows what changes may happen.

Have some towns changed over the years? Would there be legal standing for an appeal in this scenario?

Last edited:
It's not normally a formal denial. It's a "you're getting a restricted A and you're going to like it" type of deal. B-rammers exist as well,
but they're pretty rare, overall. Even most of the red towns (like Boston) issue restricted-A's.

Have some towns changed over the years?

I am not sure about ones that have "gone red". I know of a few that have, gone green, though, for a variety of
reasons. Mostly new chiefs, or new policies, etc.

Would there be legal standing for an appeal in this scenario?

I've heard of people appealing an outright denial but never appealing a "restriction". I'm not sure if there is any avenue, for instance, that will
be able to be used against an IA that says "I only issue restricted-A's" or whatever, because it is not an outright denial as outlined in the
law... you're still getting a permit, just a crappier one.

-Mike

Last edited:
Worcester

D'oh... can't forget that one- by far that's been the most prominent example. For years Worcester was basically green, or yellowish green- and now they have that royal douche,
Gemme for a CLEO.

-Mike

If the chief does leave, see if you can't get on the panel to find the new chief and make it part of the criteria. In a small town getting on the committee isn't that hard. In a larger town or city, it can be.

And you can be assured I will 'assist' the next chief's search just as I did the last one. (^_^) (if I'm still in MA)

Another thing that helps is to go to town meeting and vote against all the Liberal crap that keeps appearing on the warrant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom