What was the best C&R deal - EVER ?

Wow !

All these stories give me regrets of what could have been.

Sigh.

They are right up there with my regrets of all the things I could have asked my girlfriends of those times to do, which I'm certain they would have done, if I had only asked.

Double sigh.

OK... I think it is hard to get better than this one. When I first started shooting Bullseye 12 years ago there was an old guy who had a nice US Army 1911. I asked him one day where he got it and he told me that back in 1962 (or there abouts) he went to a DCM (precursor to the CMP) sponsored match. At the end of the match there was a US Army truck passing out 1911's for free. You just had to show proof that you shot in the Match and show your DCM membership card and you got a free 1911. He swore that was true.

I'm a believer !!

I think we will look back on the $99 mosins with regret for not buying more
i also think the batch of china-albanian SKSs will look like a steal in another year

This, and dont for get service grade M1's for $650...... when the cmp is out of of M1's the garand will be a $1200-$1500 rifle

Wow !

All these stories give me regrets of what could have been.

Sigh.

They are right up there with my regrets of all the things I could have asked my girlfriends of those times to do, which I'm certain they would have done, if I had only asked.

Double sigh.

OP, todays values M44's for under 200, 91/30 for $109, spam cans of x54r for $80, 91/30 pu snipers for $600, ect ect WILL be tomorrows regret.... IMHO we are reaching the end of the golden age of Mil-Surp collecting. The SKS's, Masuer action, Nagants, ect are some of the last surplus you will see available as the linage from there takes you to full auto weapons that will never be able to be seen in a collectors surplus sense ( other than maybe parts kits )

IMHO I owe it to my kids to collect and preserve this history as they will most likely never be able to afford or even find some of the items 20 years from now that I have paid $100 or $200 for. Part of getting your C&R is finding what really interests you.... I buy C&R pistols occasionally, but they never stay long in the safe as they are just not my thing ( I still want a luger though! ) Battle rifles are my thing, battle rifles that wear their scares with proud!

DRB

nra1.jpg

$17 in 1962.

Of course, in 1962 I wasn't born yet, but I've got the pistol and paperwork.

The deal I always regret is the gun show table full of SKS's for $69 back in the mid 1990's.

OP, todays values M44's for under 200, 91/30 for $109, spam cans of x54r for $80, 91/30 pu snipers for $600, ect ect WILL be tomorrows regret.... IMHO we are reaching the end of the golden age of Mil-Surp collecting. The SKS's, Masuer action, Nagants, ect are some of the last surplus you will see available as the linage from there takes you to full auto weapons that will never be able to be seen in a collectors surplus sense ( other than maybe parts kits )

IMHO I owe it to my kids to collect and preserve this history as they will most likely never be able to afford or even find some of the items 20 years from now that I have paid $100 or $200 for. Part of getting your C&R is finding what really interests you.... I buy C&R pistols occasionally, but they never stay long in the safe as they are just not my thing ( I still want a luger though! ) Battle rifles are my thing, battle rifles that wear their scares with proud!

DRB

Wow, makes me want to run out and buy one of every one you mentioned!

Wow, makes me want to run out and buy one of every one you mentioned!

Ok, but I need to order another safe if you are going to keep tempting me with stuff from yours!

In all seriousness, think about it..... M1 carbines 1903, m1917 are gone, M1 garands have a few years left, SKS's have not been available in any large volume in 4 or 5 years, Mauser action rifles have doubled or tripled in price in the 3 years I have had my C&R and are no longer available in any great quantity , most or all of the Swiss rifles are gone..... We are now to the point where a online retailer gets 91/30 round receiver rifles in stock and there gone in less than 24 hours ( nearly crashing their website ) Anything produced in China cannot come it..... Maybe some beat up import marked M1 garands from S Korea???

So you tell me, whats left from WW2 era production in mass quantity? Whats left of cold war era production thats left in any quantity and allowed to be imported?

Last edited:
My father bought an M1 carbine from the NRA in 1966, for $17.50 + $2.50 shipping. I have the gun and orig paperwork. 1943 Inland, all matching. [smile]

I should point out that I did get an SVW MB K98 for free several years ago. It was given to my father by an old WW2 vet who brought it back from Germany and he didn't want it. I've been offered $1500 for it and won't let it go.

Ray I am SHOCKED! But I forgive you . what about the turk and argi Mausers I karma'ed to you! LOL.. (they where kind of turds.)

Im so jealous of this entire post. I just got my C&R and every website I go to says will not ship to mass :(

This is why I used the rest of my copies to line the cat litter box. Also why I delete/edit posts from people that list distributors that do ship to MA. Everyone used to laugh at the idea of doing so but now that there are at least 4 more major distributors that I know of who in the last year have stopped shipping to MA C&R holders after getting threats from the MA AG's office, I'm guessing people are regretting running their mouths now.

My father bought an M1 carbine from the NRA in 1966, for $17.50 + $2.50 shipping. I have the gun and orig paperwork. 1943 Inland, all matching. [smile]

The first major "Gun Safety" legislation was passed after the JFK assassination.

As we all know, that legislation worked perfectly, and it has been decades since any criminal has killed a law abidng citizen with a firearm.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, but I need to order another safe if you are going to keep tempting me with stuff from yours!

In all seriousness, think about it..... M1 carbines 1903, m1917 are gone, M1 garands have a few years left, SKS's have not been available in any large volume in 4 or 5 years, Mauser action rifles have doubled or tripled in price in the 3 years I have had my C&R and are no longer available in any great quantity , most or all of the Swiss rifles are gone..... We are now to the point where a online retailer gets 91/30 round receiver rifles in stock and there gone in less than 24 hours ( nearly crashing their website ) Anything produced in China cannot come it..... Maybe some beat up import marked M1 garands from S Korea???

So you tell me, whats left from WW2 era production in mass quantity? Whats left of cold war era production thats left in any quantity and allowed to be imported?

Maybe when North Korea or Iran collapses their piss-poor crap will be C&R ?

I remember back in the 80s when I started buying my own guns there would always be a milsurp rack filled with things I just didn't find sexy enough at the time, but I do remember thinking how cheap they were. When I'd walk out the door with a Winchester shotgun there was always a voice in the back of my head telling me I could by four or five milsurps for the same price, but I never followed through. Wish I had now, for sure.

That's ridiculous. I guess it pays to be the man standing behind the counter at gun shows huh? ;)

Yes it does, but the really sad part is it sat at the guys table until 11 o'clock before anybody saw it. he had it marked as a Hakim, DUH.
I picked up a Springfield 1903 at the Marlboro show that a guy had and he walked around the show from 10 o'clock and at 4 p.m. asked me if I would give him $600. I said $500 and it came home with me. All matching with a pristine stock. It just takes patients, and a sharp eye. But then you know that buddy.

Yes it does, but the really sad part is it sat at the guys table until 11 o'clock before anybody saw it. he had it marked as a Hakim, DUH.

You're kidding me. See, I tell myself the days of miracle finds at gun shows are gone, and then you spring that little story on me. [laugh]

The last gun show I went to was the Plymouth show in October.

$99 ea. Was a good deal. Here they are still with hang tags. Emaculate bores and actions so clean and crisp I can't think of any adjectives to describe or the triggers that snap like like a 3/32" glass rod .

k310002_zpsca2356bc.jpg

First cleaning with clean rag and spry lube only.

k310010_zpse717a584.jpg

First target 100Y with GP-11

75953293.jpg

First hand loads 100Y

DSCF9026copy_zpsb19721fd.jpg

Pura Vida

DSCF9075_zps7b1ced56.jpg

k310002_zpsca2356bc.jpg

I particularly like the finish on the orange one.

Is it an opaque finish ? I'm not sure what to call it, or how to achieve it.

Some people would call the color Maple.

But I don't believe many firearms ever used actual Maple. Too hard of a wood. Walnut is a preferred species. What wood do you think the stock is ?

It's real pretty.

On second thought, Kentucky Rifles often used Tiger Maple. So maybe it is ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom