What was the best C&R deal - EVER ?

SalemCat

Banned
Just looking for a cool story.

Hoping some of the Old-Timers will chime in.

What was the BEST C&R DEAL - EVER.

Don't care if it was fifty years ago.

About 6 years ago a distributor had M38 Mosins for $39 during a Christmas sale. I grabbed one and it was mint.
Thinking back I should have bought 20 of them.

Haven't had a C&R for all that long but got my Chinese T53 for $35, and a couple practically new Yugo SKS's for $165 each.

Where?!!?!?!? PM me the info [smile]

I picked up my 91/30 mosin for $59.99 a few years back. No other good stories :(

For me, finding a 1917 M1911 in original unmodified condition save a WWII Colt replacement barrel, with two magazines for $700 two weeks ago. U.S. Property and U.S. Army marked. It only took about 20 years for me to find something at half retail.

MS

My first Enfield in 1997. No. 4 Longbranch all matching including stock.... $60. At the time I thought I overpaid.

Sweedish Mauser's M96, excellent all matching $70. 1996

I still have some of the ads from back then... I will have to scan some of them and post them.

I have also heard from old timers of the days in the early 60's when you could walk into a hardware store and pick up a Luger for $20. You got to pick which one you wanted from the barrel at the end of the counter.

I have also heard from old timers of the days in the early 60's when you could walk into a hardware store and pick up a Luger for $20. You got to pick which one you wanted from the barrel at the end of the counter.

I hear all the time about barrels full of Enfields, Mausers, etc at Woolworths back in the 70s.

OK... I think it is hard to get better than this one. When I first started shooting Bullseye 12 years ago there was an old guy who had a nice US Army 1911. I asked him one day where he got it and he told me that back in 1962 (or there abouts) he went to a DCM (precursor to the CMP) sponsored match. At the end of the match there was a US Army truck passing out 1911's for free. You just had to show proof that you shot in the Match and show your DCM membership card and you got a free 1911. He swore that was true.

Two perfect Czech Mausers for $89 each. Still have one.

Bought four Mossberg 44US for $75 each plus $20. One of them was a mint blued rifle. Replaced the trigger guards and bought magazines for the others and sold them over time.

Growing up, my Dad always had a Mauser in his gun cabinet. The story I always heard (probably from my brother) was that it belonged to my great uncle who brought it home from WWII.

Last year I was checking it out with my Dad, and he told me that he bought it at Montgomery Wards for $20 in 1963.

It's been in his basement gun cabinet for ~50 years, and it is sadly very rusty now.

Free, from Dad

Colt 1911 un-restored U.S. Government and U.S. Army Marked serial number puts it at 1917

colt1911.jpg colt1911b.jpg

Sadly, missing front sight. Need to get an original installed but am afraid to let this out of my sight. It's stunning

Last edited:
I got an M1 Carbine from the CMP for about under $500 before they ran out, I should have bought more than one :-(

My best deal was the 1903 Springfield rifle and Colt 1911 pistol passed down from my Grandfather, through my father.

I've been fortunate to be in the right place at the right time often in the past few years, and I've posted about them on this forum. The most recent, and the one that sticks out in my mind was the MAC 1950 pistol I talked about here:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...9554-my-holy-grail-m-c-model-1950-pistol.html

Just remember you new C&R collectors - there's no such thing as paying too much - just buying too early.....

Not a Mosin or Mauser, But Better Than the Mauser and Almost...

... as good as the Mosin!

Hello,

I got it in my head several months back that I wanted a Mauser. I went to a few gunstores and they all wanted around $400 to $600 for one. Nope. All had bent bolt handles, too, and I wanted a straight one, being a lefty and all.

So I saw this thing in my favorite gunstore. Said "Amberg 88" or some danged thing on it. It had been sitting there for the better part of the year.

The gunstore owner said he wanted to see it gone, and he'd make me a deal. It had rust in the bore but looked OK overall.

I called up a friend who knows some about these things, told me some of what to check for. I told the gunstore owner that I'd have to come back for it after doing some research as I didn't know if it would be a wall hanger or a shooter, though I do like a project.

He told me that I know how he dislikes old milsurps. I know... too much research to find their value. He also knows how I like a project and to make an offer. I told him I didn't feel right doing so because I'd likely insult him.

He said he was thinking 50 bucks.

Not to pass up a deal, I came back with "How about 25?"

"40."

"30."

"35."

"Sold!" says I. $37.50 out the door.

I got it home and pulled it apart. One dent, very little surface rust -- just one spot on what appeared to be a hood on the barrel. The barrel was pristine under that hood. I had been afraid maybe it was rusted through.

Happily, it was not.

I was pushing what looked like mud out of the barrel, and after liberal amounts of Fluid Film and bore brushes wrapped in steel wool, it started to shine.

Not the best bore I've ever seen, but far from the worst. I've seen worse bores on Mosin-Nagants shoot well.

Here are some pics:

DSC00129-1.jpg

DSC00137.jpg

DSC00132.jpg

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

DSC00139.jpg

DSC00138.jpg

DSC00146.jpg

DSC00145.jpg

DSC00144.jpg

DSC00143.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

DSC00136.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00130.jpg

DSC00127.jpg

DSC00125.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

DSC00123.jpg

DSC00122.jpg

With shooting, the bore is cleaned up. It shines now and there are only a couple dark spots in it that look like rust.

The bore slugs to 0.318", but it has the 0.323" throat, which makes it a squeeze bore. I load 45 grains Varget under 150 grain Hornady 0.323" bullets.

This is, in my opinion, almost the perfect rifle. The sights are precise and the barrel (mine is reenforced) is floated for all intents and purposes by using that sleeve.

I would really only change the bolt. The lugs are a bit weak, and really should have a third. It's already been modified to 88/05 standards.

It kicks hard, in prone. I'm not willing to put a recoil pad on it, though, as length-of-pull is OK for me.

The tall Mauser sight blank from Brownell's worked perfectly, and now it shoots POA.

So, you-all reckon I made out OK for $37.50? [devil]

Regards,

Josh

I should point out that I did get an SVW MB K98 for free several years ago. It was given to my father by an old WW2 vet who brought it back from Germany and he didn't want it. I've been offered $1500 for it and won't let it go.

I came to collecting too late for the $35 mosins. The way things keep going my $399 WASR may be my best milsurp! [laugh]

I have shown this multiple times before so my apologies. Since you asked, I was at the concord gun show about 2 years ago.This was advertised for $475. I asked if he would go lower and he dropped to $425. (he had me at $475). I knew i was doing well but so new to SKSs that i did not know how well. I knew it wasn't a Tula but only sorta knew how rare it was. (who says you can't find deals at the gun show?)

IMG_3474.jpg

IMG_3473.jpg

IMG_3472.jpg

How well did I do? Well coincidently this gunbroker auction just closed. IMO this one does not hold a candle to her. $1000 profit in 2 years? I am ok with it [wink]

SKS Russian Izhevsk RARE : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

I should point out that I did get an SVW MB K98 for free several years ago. It was given to my father by an old WW2 vet who brought it back from Germany and he didn't want it. I've been offered $1500 for it and won't let it go.

Pics ray pics!!! I have had you tell me about this puppy a lot!!! I am dying here!

[pics]

I picked up a SA marked M38 Mosin Nagant for $25 at a gun store that I work at cleaning guns. I picked it up because I like them and it was cheap. I didn't know what it was at the time. The cool thing is every time I open the gun cabinet it smells like a camp fire from that gun.

I came to collecting too late for the $35 mosins. The way things keep going my $399 WASR may be my best milsurp! [laugh]

I have shown this multiple times before so my apologies. Since you asked, I was at the concord gun show about 2 years ago.This was advertised for $475. I asked if he would go lower and he dropped to $425. (he had me at $475). I knew i was doing well but so new to SKSs that i did not know how well. I knew it wasn't a Tula but only sorta knew how rare it was. (who says you can't find deals at the gun show?)

IMG_3474.jpg

IMG_3473.jpg

IMG_3472.jpg

How well did I do? Well coincidently this gunbroker auction just closed. IMO this one does not hold a candle to her. $1000 profit in 2 years? I am ok with it [wink]

SKS Russian Izhevsk RARE : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

I REALLY HATE when the SKS pics start getting tossed around! Im a damn fool for passing so many times! very very nice!

Pics ray pics!!! I have had you tell me about this puppy a lot!!! I am dying here!

[pics]

OLD camera pics

Mvc-011f.jpg

Mvc-012f.jpg

bb38da41.jpg

a3134f48.jpg

It looks blued in this pic but its not. Its got the phosphate finish

k98.jpg

I had Juergen look at it when he visited last year and he said the rifle is definitely German

I hear all the time about barrels full of Enfields, Mausers, etc at Woolworths back in the 70s.

Yup, in the 1976-78 time-frame I was working Downtown and used to go into Woolworth's on Washington St and see bbls of M1 Carbines and other war relics for short money ((IIRC the M1 Carbines were $99). Sadly I had no interest in old guns and belonged to a club that restricted rifles to .22RF only on the outdoor range! I remember passing up Colt AR15s for ~$350 back in that day too due to nowhere to shoot it.

I didn't actually buy a C&R gun until 2000. Some of my best deals are probably:

- Carl Gustafs M96 for $150
- MN 44 for $50
- K31 for $115
- CZ52 for $85

Back
Top Bottom