What to look for when buying a AR15 lower

I'm looking to build an AR from a pre-ban lower. My question is what should I be looking out for when cruising the local gunshows for one? Not referring to price, but rather quality/abuse, etc... There are so many different manufacturers, types, stamped vs. milled, etc. I'm looking to build one with a 14.5" (with 1.5" flash hider) upper from Noveske or LMT.

Thanks for the info!

Stamped vs milled is more of an AK receiver issue - ARs, it's whether the receiver blank was cast or forged before machining started. Forged is tougher than cast, but there isn't a lot of stress on the lower of an AR. If I had two identical condition prebans in front of me, one cast and one forged, I'd pick the forged one, but otherwise I'd buy on overall condition first. Olympic has a page up on identifying cast or forged that's worth looking at.

Oval holes instead of round, cracks around the buffer tube or pivot pins, or serious dent's & gouges are the sort of thing to look for, but all are uncommon. If it's a full rifle, you can at least do a function check to make sure all the controls are working properly. Make sure a mag will seat, and no one parked a truck on the mag well. Finish condition will be an indication of how the rifle was treated, but the receiver can be refinished if you pick one up that's tired looking. If there's signs of amateur gunsmithing being done on the lower, I'd walk away fast.

Good luck on the hunt - I bought a preban cast EA a while back, which had bad finish and damage to the hole for the front pivot plunger. Repaired it, runs well, just not pretty (yet). I still look for others, of course. [smile]

You can look around online and get a feel for which rifles were decent quality back then. There were some manufacturers that were rather inconsistent. Keep in mind that you're looking for defects that can be traced to bad receivers - if the company in question had a rep for using crappy BCGs, that's not the lowers problem.

Olympic has a page up on identifying cast or forged that's worth looking at.

Many of the tells Olympic describes are based on their design history and do not necessarily provide the tools to determine if another manufacturer's lower is cast or forged.

There is also the third kind - machined from bar stock.

Make sure a mag will seat,

Bring some mags that you know are in good shape and make sure they drop free. If you are checking out a stripped lower, make sure the mag goes in without resistance and you can hold the lower horizontally without the receiver falling out. The test mag needs to be checked on a known good gun first and some mags that look like they are in good shape can actually be too fat to drop free from a properly dimensioned lower.

Last edited:
Chances of finding a preban lower solo at a gun show is slim. You should check gunbroker and the EE at AR15.com, you may have a better chance. Typical preban at a show will be a shot out upper on a scratched up lower that someone is trying to get $1500 for. As for a lower, if totally stripped you can use a trigger pin to check the holes to see if there is excess play or egging. Check the reciever extension threads for damage if it is stripped also. Unless you REALLY want a flash hider instead of a comp or crowned muzzle or have to have an adjustable stock I would just buy a $100 lower and DIY the lower. They are a nice project and easy enough to do if you read about it first. Plus you can get an entry stock or some other specialized stock if so inclined.

Many cast lowers will have either raised letters or a casting line around the area that has the logo and serial number.

Remember that the lower needed to be part of an assembled pre-ban rifle when the ban started. Something to consider if some guy at a gunshow is selling a "NIB stripped pre-ban lower".

55_grain

Back
Top Bottom