What should I do?

1903Collector

NES Member
So after about three weeks I finally got My M&P9 back from Smith, It was sent to them because it was ejecting the empties back into my face. So all happy I go to the range yesterday to check her out. I have three different types of ammo with me so I load up two mags and start shooting. the first few rounds go nicely off to the right and then it starts, right back in the face again with all three brands of ammo. Not every round comes back at you like that, probably about one out of three or so, the rest of them are all over the place (very erratic). Maybe I'm spoiled but all my other autos put my empties in the same place. Smith said they replaced the slide, I don't know why? why would you replace the slide for an ejection problem, but hey, what do I know they are the experts. When they test these things what do they do fire two or three f***ing rounds and say "looks good send it back?". I bought it at Northeast Trading and I am taking it back tommorow but I want either a new gun or my money back. It's too bad because I like all the other aspects of the pistol. I was going to use it for CCW, but not like this. What do you guys think I should do....[frown]

Thanks, Walter

Are you sure its the gun and not how you are holding it/responding to the recoil?

Yup, been thru this discussion already my friend. That's not the problem. I do however fire handguns right handed but aim with my left eye (right eye bad) but I don't think this makes a difference. It's never been an issue with any other auto I have owned.

Last edited:
1903- you are not alone. Mine still does it on occasion. Much more often with lighter loads like UMC ammo, not so much with other ammo anymore. I can tell you it's not my grip either like you. A slightly lighter recoil spring from Wolff seemed to help but you really need the stock spring so the slide will come back properly, lighter springs wouldn't bring the slide back reliably.

Last edited:
Why don't you find a good gunsmith (one that deals with M&P guns) to take a look at it. I'm sure the IDPA or IPSC guys can point you in a good direction.

B

Why don't you find a good gunsmith (one that deals with M&P guns) to take a look at it. I'm sure the IDPA or IPSC guys can point you in a good direction.

B

I don't know about M&Ps but IPSC gunsmiths use angles on the ejector to tune how the brass pops out. It is important when you have a scope hanging over the ejection port. If the ejector is easy to replace, it might be something to experiment with.
Ejection Perfection

I don't know about M&Ps but IPSC gunsmiths use angles on the ejector to tune how the brass pops out. It is important when you have a scope hanging over the ejection port. If the ejector is easy to replace, it might be something to experiment with.
Ejection Perfection

FWIW I have a M&P 9mm and a M&P .40. Both have the same part number for the ejector. I used my .40 ejector on my 9mm to see if it made a difference and it didn't at all. I doubt it's the ejector.

B

I thought about that, but I went thru that with my para. I'm not spending another dime on a pistol I have had not even two months.

Send it back. S&W has the best customer service in the industry. Include a detailed letter explaining the problem and list the ammo used.

Send it back. S&W has the best customer service in the industry. Include a detailed letter explaining the problem and list the ammo used.

So far I am not impressed,They sent the thing back doing the same thing they were supposed to fix in the first place. It's being sent back again so they have a chance to redeem themselves.[laugh]

14# recoil spring will probably make a difference. Gives you a little more slide action.

If you want to try one, I have one and a non captured guide rod you can try but I want them back [wink]

I run my 40 with the 14# and I like it. I am headed to RI tomorrow and could meet you somewhere. E mail me if interested.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom