What optics do you go with for your M4 AR15 16" barrel?

I went with an Eotech with Larue mount. Very happy. I don't shoot that often over 100 yards so no magnification needed for me, yet.

I have a cheap primary arms red dot on my with rear buis, front post sight. Works just fine for what I'm using it for.

I run an Eotech with Larue mount also, but honestly red dots are mainly CQB optics, so if you are shooting much past 50 yds., you are better off with a scope. You could also use a flip to the side magnifier with a red dot and it would be the best of both worlds for your intended range.

I run an Eotech with Larue mount also, but honestly red dots are mainly CQB optics, so if you are shooting much past 50 yds., you are better off with a scope. You could also use a flip to the side magnifier with a red dot and it would be the best of both worlds for your intended range.

Gotta disagree with you.

The aimpoint and eotech sights are very much useable optics past 50 yards.

A 2 MOA aimpoint zeroed for 300yards will be extremely effective.

I put the Aimpoint PRO on mine and I shoot it out to 200. Granted I would like some magnification if I were using it often shooting out to and past 200yds.

One of my prebans came with a Trijicon Reflex. I've been happy with it. I passed on them before but since it came on the rifle I didn't care. Yes, these can be used to shoot 100yds and longer. I've done it with this one and I've done it thousands of times with red dots in the Army. Will you have 3 inch groups at 200yds, prolly not but you'll hit your target and in real life that's what counts.

I'm not disagreeing with the other options already posted, just giving you another option to look at.

Aimpoint PRO. Like 5 years of continuos run time on one battery compared to 600-700 for an eotech if your lucky.

Big fan of Aimpoints. I find Eotechs hard to use in bright daylight , and Trijicon too rich for my wallet.

I'm not a big fan of precision bullseye shooting , I figure if I can hit a zombie's head at 100 then I can tell myself I am a high speed ninja Jedi , and call it good enough for fun.

I just re zeroed my 20 inch upper with an older Aimpoint ML3. It has a four MOA red dot. 9 rounds to dial it in at 25 yards , and then 2 full mags at 100 yards to verify and make noise. And yeah , 50 of the hits were well with 4 Moa with ten flyers that were well within minute of bad guy. ... Oh , I also ran it with a cheap magnifier on an expensive mount. My eyes are getting old.

My 16 inch upper has an Aimpoint PRO on it , which is even tighter , but on a shorter barrel.

I am a red dot guy (actually, green dot is my color preference). Have many, mostly cheapies. Still looking for a high quality red/green dot that I can justify buying.

Eotechs are awesome out to range as the dot is timy, especially when turned down. You can pick up a 512 for about 300 after discounts and the vortex 3x magnifier runs about 200.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

There was this one guy...Using an AimPoint Micro shooting out to 750m with a 300BLK.

I use an eotech. It was a little pricy but It's a great optic. Going to be adding a primary arms magnifier for short money.

How the heck can you shoot a red dot over 100 yards, lol. I'm very very very new to shooting rifles with a scope and red dot. You can barely see the tiny target at 100 yards with a scope set to 9x. Are people shooting bigger targets or shooting at a 1" black circle and hitting it? That's what I think about, and wonder how you guys do it.

How the heck can you shoot a red dot over 100 yards, lol. I'm very very very new to shooting rifles with a scope and red dot. You can barely see the tiny target at 100 yards with a scope set to 9x. Are people shooting bigger targets or shooting at a 1" black circle and hitting it? That's what I think about, and wonder how you guys do it.

Depending what you are zeroed at you just have to adjust your hold over.

The fancy stuff starts at around 7:15

Last edited by a moderator:
Eotech XPS2.x on my M4gery. Want to get a Primary Arms / Vortex magnifier for it, but for 100 yards it's perfectly fine. Have a 2" and 3" hanging AR500 swingers and can pop them all day long with it. Easily minute-of-bad guy at 200.

For the 18" AR10 I just built I put a Vortex 1-4x24mm MOA reticle on it, $399 new from CameraLandNY (lowest price I could find before I called was $479!). Haven't sighted it in as I just got the build done, but I had it at the range yesterday and damn it's nice and clear, illuminated reticle easily visible on target at 50 yards.

One has the Nikon P-223 3x32 with YHM qd buis, the plinker has a Vortex Striker Red/Green dot. I've not gotten to fire either at any distance greater than 20 yards as of yet to get a good MOA measurement. Both were under $200

In addition to aim Points and Eotechs, I have been using a leupold VXR Patrol variable 1X4 scope. At 1 you use it like a typical red dot but you can also crank it to 4 and you have a 4 power scope. The Eotechs reticle also can be used as a ranging reticle. I'm not going to explain it, but if you go to Eotechs website they have a section on it.

you're going to get as many different opinions as you do responses here, but I find that my 1x4 Burris MTAC is the best overall optic for an M4 variant I could have possibly gotten into for less than $500.

I get true 1x magnification at the lowest setting with awesome eye relief. and I have the option of up to 4x for up to and including 500 yard range (in the Marine Corps, I use a trijicon acog, and actually find the chevron reticle a little difficult to use at that range), but the MTACs illuminated reticle is easy to use and has multiple points of referance to use for kentucky windage at range. field of view is also awesome.

-Mike

I have an EOTech 2-0 (65MOA ring with 1MOA dot) on my 16" XCR. It works great at 100yds.

My two cents. If it's a range gun then there are allot of good sub $200 optics out there that work fine. A dot is not a precession instrument like a scope is. It needs to turn on, stay on and stay relatively un effected by hard knocks. It's good for rough shooting 2'-12" groups out to 150 yards, no more.
FWIW, This is the one that I have on my M4.
Ruggedly built, reliable, 2x mag, variable recital, lenses covers and $110. I mounted it on a quick disconnect lever mount . With this set up I can actually use my iron sights right through it or drop the dot in an instant.
There is no substitute for good iron sights on a rifle IMHO.

http://www.jgsales.com/truglo-2x42mm-sight-red-green-dot-4-reticle-matte-black-p-44265.html

Last edited:
Gotta disagree with you.

The aimpoint and eotech sights are very much useable optics past 50 yards.
A 2 MOA aimpoint zeroed for 300yards will be extremely effective.

Very true. A lot depends on the target size and the size of the dot. I like the smaller dot size.

Eotechs are awesome out to range as the dot is timy, especially when turned down. You can pick up a 512 for about 300 after discounts and the vortex 3x magnifier runs about 200.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I like the Eotechs for the same reason.

For bullseye type shooting, at a distance, I agree with you. If you're working on a larger target, a small dot will work just fine. At extreme distances you're going to be holding over anyway, so the red dot is not a hindrance. The dot-in-a-circle on the Millets and Eotechs are helpful in determining the amount of holdover.

There's no single answer to the OP's question. The type of shooting you're doing will determine the type/style of optic that will work best for you. I use traditional scopes, Millets, and Eotechs on different rifles, but I have to say my preference is for the Eotechs.

Back
Top Bottom