What, no IDPA this weekend?

IDPA Bass River on Beautiful Cape cod 08-19. Plan early. 4 stages that will be short and sweet. We start at 10AM and depending on the turn out should be done by Noon

Bring your family, send them off to the beach and have a good time [wink]

Gary,
It was nice to see you and the guys down at Bass River this moring. The match was a lot of fun although the off hand supported was a bit harsh (Steve thought so too!).

Respectfully,

jkelly

Westfield is running a 200 round match using "custom" rules on Sunday. Targets and scoring will be IDPA style. Courses of fire will be more IPSC style. They plan to run two stages in each pit for a nice high round count.

Westfield is running a 200 round match using "custom" rules on Sunday. Targets and scoring will be IDPA style. Courses of fire will be more IPSC style. They plan to run two stages in each pit for a nice high round count.

Anybody attend?

How did that go??

Anybody attend?

How did that go??

Didn't make that one but I did go up to Pioneer Sportsmens in Dunbarton NH for the IDPA style rifle match. Shot with RGS and some friends. Had a great time.

I realized that I like USPSA rule matches better because of the "freestyle" approach the shooter has to working the stages. I prefer to not be told how to shoot every stage from beginning to end. I also prefer to not have the RO (SO) tell me every time I have made a mistake while in the middle of shooting the stage. I was not used to that. I just do not shoot a lot of IDPA.

All in all Pioneer did a great job with the match and I shot pretty well. They had some challenging stages.

I also prefer to not have the RO (SO) tell me every time I have made a mistake while in the middle of shooting the stage. I was not used to that. I just do not shoot a lot of IDPA.

I must say that seems a little strange. Unless it was some kind of safety violation the SOs shouldn't really say anything from my experience. Be safe and shoot as you wish.. procedurals happen at the end.

I must say that seems a little strange. Unless it was some kind of safety violation the SOs shouldn't really say anything from my experience. Be safe and shoot as you wish.. procedurals happen at the end.

The only time ROs have ever been talking to me in the middle of a stage was for safety related issues.

No safety violation on the squad I was shoting with... Everyone had pretty clean handling skills.

If shooters were not moving and shooting when they were "supposed to be" the ro's were instructing "move, move" and if the shootes were not reloading in the boxes designated for reloading they were instucted to "reload!" If a target was passed the shooter was told "you can't go back."

Perhaps it was just the style of the ro's? Maybe just helping out those inexperienced with IDPA? I don't know. But we did have a good time.

No safety violation on the squad I was shoting with... Everyone had pretty clean handling skills.

If shooters were not moving and shooting when they were "supposed to be" the ro's were instructing "move, move" and if the shootes were not reloading in the boxes designated for reloading they were instucted to "reload!" If a target was passed the shooter was told "you can't go back."

Perhaps it was just the style of the ro's? Maybe just helping out those inexperienced with IDPA? I don't know. But we did have a good time.

Ok. Well if the COF tells you to shoot on the move and the shooter doesn't the SO can "warn" you so you don't get a procedural. I think that's better that having the SO say nothing at then dinging you 3 secs after.

Same thing for the reloads. If the COF requires a reload and you don't you will get a procedural.

I'm not so sure about not being able to go back to reengage on a target. It's usually not an issue. Matter of fact if you intentionally "forget" a round in a target to avoid a reload you get a get a major ding! So you might want to go back and reengage. Like if you need 12 total shots, but only use 11 to avoid a reload. Ask me how I know? [wink]

Since it was "Open squadding", no Safety Officer knew that ahead of time so they are cautious. Not a bad thing.
If shooters were not moving and shooting when they were "supposed to be" the ro's were instructing "move, move" and if the shootes were not reloading in the boxes designated for reloading they were instucted to "reload!"

Again, they are not sure of the experience level and they are also required to warn of an infraction prior to giving a Procedural. One warning then the PE

If a target was passed the shooter was told "you can't go back."

Again, no idea of the skill level of the shooter so retreating could become a hazard in a rifle match with close quarters.

Some things to think about:

IDPA has no rules directly relating to a rifle competition.

IDPA has rules much different from USPSA where the SO (Not RO) is there to help the shooter along. Some take that a little too literally, and some of us that are USPSA ROs and IDPA SOs may not do a proper job because of the cross over.

IDPA States:
B. Safety Officer.
Certified Safety Officers are the people whose purpose and goal is
for all the shooters at the match to have a safe and enjoyable day at
the range by directing the shooter through the course of fire.

I think the differences between USPSA and IDPA are a source of confusion for many that shoot one discipline and then try another.

The biggest thing to remember is these people are all volunteers. Some new, some experienced. Some regular competitors at one club, some travel to others. Either way, like the shooter, there is a learning curve for the SO.

Again, there are no rifle rules for IDPA. Since this is a rifle match using IDPA Style courses of fire the rules are adapted to the situation.
EDIT TO ADD FOR LUGNUT: PE in this match was 10 seconds rather than the normal IDPA 3 second.

As always, WHITEY627 (got the numbers right this time [wink]) It was a real good time shooting with you guys. Hope to see you at their three gun (Have a sling for your boom tube there may be transitions)

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. It was really a learning experience for me. Of the two diciplines, IDPA and USPSA, and me only having experience in USPSA, it just came naturally to compare the differences between them. That was the first time I have ever shot a match with IDPA (or some version there of) rules.

I would actually like to give it a try at an official pistol match one of these days. It would give me a reason to pull out my Glock or Beretta again. Plus I could really experience it the way it is intended.

One thing I did notice... it is REAL hard to change the routine I have developed shooting only one of the two diciplines (like planning the stage, looking for the most efficient way to shoot it, not retaining magazines when reloading ect...)

It is necessary to approach IDPA stages with a different mind set. But that is what makes it an even better challenge me. Hey... variety is the spice of life right?

Back
Top Bottom