What muzzle loader or black powder legal in MA deer season?

Just wondering what is allowed, and maybe recommended here.

I know there are cheap ones and then the T/C Omega which seems very popular, but expensive.

Then, there is the whole thing of "going traditional" and using a gun with the flash pan, etc.

Help.

Basically anything that loads from the muzzle. You can use the new inline models with the pyrodex pellets and a sabot with a bullet. Or I use a sidelock model that takes a #11 percussion cap with a patch and lead ball.

Adam

I thought that the ones with the easily removeable breech (for cleaning) were not allowed. At least that is what the SALES guy at Dick's sporting goods said. And you'd think he would like to make the sale!

Quote from the current 2005 Hunting Abstracts.

"During the shotgun season hunters may use shotguns not larger than 10 gauge, bows and arrows, or muzzleloadders, including modern muzzleloader, muzzleloaders with telescopic sights, and sabot rounds in muzzleloaders, including hinge action muzzleloaders."

Now here's where it gets tricky.

"Muzzleloader season - Limited to shoulder-fired muzzleloaders .44 to .775 caliber; barrel length 18" or more with only one barrel operative. In-line ignition systems permitted, providing the rifle loads from the muzzle. Hinge action muzzleloaders are not legal. Single projectile only (no buckshot). Sabot rounds, 209 primers and scopes are legal. Powder limited to black powder or approved substitutes. Firearm is considered unloaded when cap or pan powder is removed.......

So, from this it looks as though during shotgun season, you are free to use any style of muzzleloader, but during muzzleloader season, you are prohibited from using "hinge action".

Man this shit is confusing..

For more info, check out the abstracts here.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwpdf/dfwab05.pdf

Adam

I think by saying hinge action they are excluding Thompson Encores. Since you can put a rifle barrel on it in a second, O.K. maybe a little longer but not much. I do own a .50 cal Omega that I highly recommend to anyone that asks. My friends down in Maryland hunt .45 Omegas, use scopes, load loose powder and pointed bullets and kill deer way past 200 yards. The .50, and me, can't do that but mine is far more accurate than my fully rifled 870 with a red dot. My 2 cents good luck.

jshooter said:
I think by saying hinge action they are excluding Thompson Encores. Since you can put a rifle barrel on it in a second, O.K. maybe a little longer but not much. I do own a .50 cal Omega that I highly recommend to anyone that asks. My friends down in Maryland hunt .45 Omegas, use scopes, load loose powder and pointed bullets and kill deer way past 200 yards. The .50, and me, can't do that but mine is far more accurate than my fully rifled 870 with a red dot. My 2 cents good luck.

Thanks for that input.

That might just help keep me from buying an 870 deer barrel, which in turn will make sense in that I can then buy a better black powder in the first place, rather than a deer barrel and cheaper black powder.

Does that make sense anyone?

It's a give and take...
Here in MA the shotgun season is centered around the rut. That's when deer are feverish in their mating, and forget all about jumping and running away when so much as a twig breaks 200yds away. The larger bucks have one thing, and one thing only on their minds. To mate with as many fertile doe's as possible in the shortest amount of time.

Your chances of happening upon a buck that is less interested in your scent will be higher at this time.

However as someone else said, there will be less hunters in the woods during muzzleloader season.

Depending on what type of muzzleloader you are looking for, a good quality .50cal can be had for just a couple of hundred. Accuracy is up to you.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom