• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is your favorite WW2 plane? (WW2 discussion)

Hello folks :)

As many of you may know by my previous posts, I am a very fascinated by and invested in world war 2 history. I am forever awe stricken by the enthralling tales of all the brave, legendary heroes who fought together for the greater good of the free world against the vile clutches of evil tyranny and the Axis Power's lust for domination. Through blood and tears, they banned together as a brotherhood to take on the greatest and most important task ever completed by humans. No greater generation of men will ever exist on this earth. I often times stare at the beautiful red, white and blue flag. I think of the sacrifices. I owe everything from the air I breathe, to the smiles and memories of my childhood to every easter dinner with my family. Every happy moment. To all those brave men. And I study and pay respects at a WW2 museum in my home town very often. As the great George Santayana stated. "Those who cannot remember the past, are doomed to repeat it" May we never forget the blood stained sands of Omaha beach, the souls lost in every concentration camp but most especially the lives liberated, the families reunited, and the lives saved by the heroes before us and the ones overseas today. God bless you all.

Both of my great grandfathers fought in WW2. One was shot down in a B-24 liberator and was captured as a POW. I met him although very young. I know have pieces of the plane that were uncovered in a expidition a few years back. My other great grandfather sadly died before I was born. But was also a decorated War Hero who was given the purple heart. He fought at Kasserine Pass. He told my dad many stories that were relayed to me as a kid. Very heart warming and humbling stories of peril but most of all strength and kindness. Both on and off the battlefield he put his effort into being the hand to lift someone up from the mud. And to be the one to stand for what was right and help the helpless.

I am getting off topic of the title but in short, WW2 is very important to me. And studying the history and appreciating it's importance keeps me in touch with myself. I know it is important to many of you as well. I collect WW2 memorabilia (As much as I can afford anyway lol) And my favorite gun is my M1 Garand. Which I have posted before.

But lately I have been collecting die cast replicas of WW2 planes. Most of which by the Corgi company. Also Tanks, Half Tracks and Other War Trucks.

Which brings me to the title question. A question I can never seem to keep 1 answer to from day to day lol. It's just so difficult. Like picking between children. The wonderful birds of the sky. And their are so many iconic aircrafts that soared the war torn skies in the allied victory. Without the mechanical excellence of some of these planes. The war would have been lost. From the battle of midway to the battle of Britain. A great portion of our success came from well designed and fantastically piloted crafts.

Which WW2 aircraft is your personal favorite?

I very much so love the FG1D Corsair. Produced by GoodYear. Also the iconic Vaught F4U-Corsair

1_FG1Dcorsair_PY3.jpg

The paint scheme, it's battle brilliance and how efficiently all Corsairs took out Jap Zeros. (12:1 ratio) But I think my heart will always belong to the iconic, one and only.

P51-D Mustang.

p51-11a.jpg

The look of American beauty. Each Rivot is like a stitch in the American flag. It represents everything we revere in American engineering. Grit, moxie, dependability and efficiency. Although purpose built war machines. Their is a certain beauty to the growl of the Packard Engine. The stripe package and signified D- Day crafts is especially nice looking. And the sillouette is incredible.

The messerschmitt ME-109 is universally cool too. But I'm no Kraut lover :D

Thanks for sharing everyone. I am very interested to hear what everyone elses picks are. Choosing just 1 WW2 plane is hard with so many amazing machines. I know my picks are pretty common choices. Many other planes are incredible too. But these 2 stand at the top for me.

I didn't know if this belonged in off topic, but off topic seemed more for odd ball stuff not related to guns and since planes had guns on them and did shoot. I figured it was more general discussion :).

B-17.

My father was a bombardier (100BG 349th BS) on the B-17 on my avatar. He was shot down on his second mission over the North Sea by an ME-109. He bailed out and was rescued by a British patrol boat and went on to complete his 25 missions. He returned stateside and became a bombardier instructor on B-24s.

The British patrol boat Captain wrote his version of rescuing my father:
North Sea Catch - Bradford

B-17.

My father was a bombardier (100BG 349th BS) on the B-17 on my avatar. He was shot down on his second mission over the North Sea by an ME-109. He bailed out and was rescued by a British patrol boat and went on to complete his 25 missions. He returned stateside and became a bombardier instructor on B-24s.

The British patrol boat Captain wrote his version of rescuing my father:
North Sea Catch - Bradford
The B17 is a close second to my favorite, the Stuka.

My main activity in junior high through college was building model planes and tanks; yes, I was that kind of geek. But I became very good at it, for awhile.

OP took mine, the P51. Overall, it was the aircraft that did its job best. But...

Fave bomber: B17
Fave naval fighter: Corsair
Fave naval bomber: Dauntless
Fave enemy bird: Stuka
Fave oddball: P39

My great uncle was a tailgunner on B24s, and my grandfather turned wrenches on SBDs in the Cactus Air Force.

Last edited:
My dad was a tail gunner in a Navy Douglas Dauntless SBD Dive Bomber (A24 Banshee), the plane that became the hero of Midway. This plane had a cruising speed of 185mph and top speed in a dive of about 250. But it had over 1,000 mile range and over 2,000 lb bomb load.

The Stunning Combat Record of the Douglas SBD Dauntless

He told me he fired roughly a quarter million rounds out of the .30 cals, and didn’t think they hit anything.

SBD-photo.jpg

He was a pretty big guy back in the day, so as the fleet transitioned to the SB2C Helldiver, he didn’t fit in the gunner’s station. He thinks that’s why he survived the war.

////

P51-D Mustang.

The look of American beauty. Each Rivot is like a stitch in the American flag. It represents everything we revere in American engineering. Grit, moxie, dependability and efficiency. Although purpose built war machines. Their is a certain beauty to the growl of the Packard Engine. The stripe package and signified D- Day crafts is especially nice looking. And the sillouette is incredible.
Sort of an asterisk there. The plane was originally tested with the Allison V12 V1710 (that powered the P38) but without turbocharger. High altitude performance was lacking.

The B model was then fitted with the Rolls Royce Merlin engine, which had a supercharger and the benefit of years of development and combat use. Along with the laminar wing, this gave the plane its breakthrough performance.

Packard built a number of versions of the Merlin under license from Rolls Royce, starting in 1941 and were also called Merlin. The V-1650-7 powered most Mustangs, and also the Spitfire Mark VIII. BTW a Ford plant in England also produced Merlins.

While they had sophisticated two stage superchargers, they all had carburetors. The ME109 had direct fuel injection from the earliest versions. Another 109 factoid: their V12 was inverted, with the cylinder banks making an upside-down V.

P-38 just for the oddball aesthetics.
View attachment 281923

Definitely my favorite, followed by the P-51 and B-17.

WWII is a really unique moment in recent history. I feel sad that the next generation won’t have that connectivity that we have, in being able to talk to and hear from various parties to the war.

My wife and I went to Bastogne a couple of years ago. Walking through the forests and seeing the remnants of all those foxholes was a truly amazing scene, and quite humbling. I encourage everyone interested in WWII to go there if possible.

A truly gallant feat of arms.

Last edited:
The Mustang and the Jugg of course get lot's ot attention and are a couple of my personal favorites.
However some German Fighters are simply to good to pass up and their engineering was simply fantastic.
Kurt Tanks fabulous FW-190 series comes to mind.
And the Dornier Do-335 is simply beautiful. Dornier Do 335 Pfeil (Arrow) Heavy fighter.jpg 190-D.JPG

Wow, several of you guys had relatives flying on, or working with B-24s. I guess I'm kinda partial to the B-24, since that was the plane that my dad piloted. He was stationed in Italy, and flew 33 missions. Here he is with his plane and crew (you can probably guess which one he is in this pic, based on my screen name):

full

Frank

Hate to burst your bubble, but mine is the Stuka dive bomber. That plane didn’t even have to drop it’s payload, it scared troops right off the battlefield. But a great topic to talk about and good post!
Yup. Nothing says WW2 like the scream of a Diving Stuka.

I was just reading through some of my highschool notes... in it was a bit from a B-29 pilot. (A classmate's grandfather) who was on rotation and went off shift just before the Enola Gay was given the green light. The other person we chatted with that day was a teacher's father who survived Auschwitz as a little boy. Between the two, and watching Shindlers List with them with us only a few years before both passed away, I'm a going to say B-29.

I also know my grandfather (who died around when I was born) happened to have worked at the Martin plant near Omaha around the time these beasts were being built.

Second has to be the P-51. I got to direct one to take off and land at Tallahassee Airport almost a decade ago. The P-51 pilot and his son kept trading places doing a dance with that monster. They'd kill power on landing and see who can get her into the parking spot further and further out. The dad won, killing engine at something like 200 m off the deck and still getting all the way to the spot. He also toasted the brakes, and I have a bolt from that repair work in my toolbox. I will never part with it.

Back
Top Bottom