What is this soldier carrying?

... still looks like an M-4 carbine, with some tacticool...

that's a flashlight under the barrel, I believe....

and it looks like a flared magwell on the lower...

... that lower barrel actually fires those optical bullets... [grin] and they're fully automatic, too!

The sight system looks like the one I just saw on guns&gear that allows the user to sight with both eyes open. It has some fiber optic thingy too. I'm not very technically savvy.[thinking] You can also use the iron sites with this setup so it's good for CQB and tracking a moving target too. The both eyes open allows for quicker acquisition and better tracking. Wish I hadn't erased that episode, I could of told you who makes the sight system and given you all the technical jargon too.

Possibly the Navy's Mk18 CQBR;

If it's the Mk18, then a 10.5in barrel. If not, could be a 10.3 inch.
AR15/M4 with: (starting at the muzzle)

- Flash hider capable of attaching a supressor
- Surefire Scout weaponlight with rail mount
- Handguards are the Vltor CASV-EL Carbine - FLAT DARK EARTH
- Vertical ForeGrip, such as Tango Down in Tan or FDE
- EO Tech "AA Battery model", like the 512, 552, etc.
- Possibly LaRue riser mount for EO Tech.
- MAKO Magwell Grip - FDE
- ARMS (crap [frown]) BUIS?
- Magpul M93B Stock in FDE

Possibly the Navy's Mk18 CQBR;

If it's the Mk18, then a 10.5in barrel. If not, could be a 10.3 inch.
AR15/M4 with: (starting at the muzzle)

- Flash hider capable of attaching a supressor
- Surefire Scout weaponlight with rail mount
- Handguards are the Vltor CASV-EL Carbine - FLAT DARK EARTH
- Vertical ForeGrip, such as Tango Down in Tan or FDE
- EO Tech "AA Battery model", like the 512, 552, etc.
- Possibly LaRue riser mount for EO Tech.
- MAKO Magwell Grip - FDE
- ARMS (crap [frown]) BUIS?
- Magpul M93B Stock in FDE

Its a MK18 upper, there is no 10.3in, its a regular birdcage flashhider, no special suppressor mount.

Its a MK18 upper, there is no 10.3in, its a regular birdcage flashhider, no special suppressor mount.

I know the Mk18 has the LMT 10.5 upper and there is no 10.3 that is USGI, but there are folks out there that get their barrels cut to that length.

I came to the conclusion about the flash hider because if you zoom in enough you can make out the ribs found in the replacement A2 flash hider for the USGI QD supressor. Maybe I'm wrong, but I leaned that way. [smile]

There must be some unwritten policy that lets troops today "personalize" their weapons.
My nephew just returned from Iraq in May and from he pics I've seen of his Team they hung whatever Tacti-Cool stuff they felt like. Most guys have internet access and ordered stuff on line like we would.
The Eotech was issued to them but it was routine to swap stocks, add rails & lights & crap. It sort of explains that "M4 - Barbies for Men" poster.
A have cousin who is a Career on his 2nd Afghan tour and he stashes his AR as soon as he arrives and finds an AKM.

Well, most of the units using the Mk 18 are either Navy boarding teams or special forces... I assume the latter can put whatever the hell they want on their guns.

There must be some unwritten policy that lets troops today "personalize" their weapons.
My nephew just returned from Iraq in May and from he pics I've seen of his Team they hung whatever Tacti-Cool stuff they felt like. Most guys have internet access and ordered stuff on line like we would.
The Eotech was issued to them but it was routine to swap stocks, add rails & lights & crap. It sort of explains that "M4 - Barbies for Men" poster.
A have cousin who is a Career on his 2nd Afghan tour and he stashes his AR as soon as he arrives and finds an AKM.

It is by the commander's discretion. I guess the difference it isnt to be cool, its a tool they use for work.

He is definitely Navy, you can see the "Y" sticking out from the service tape under his chest rig. My money would be SEAL or EOD. I think EOD, as I can kind of see the edge of his warfare pin over the US NAVY tape.

And given the sight behind him, I am leaning towards EOD. Those guys are cowboys and can do what they want with their gear.

Last edited:
The sight system looks like the one I just saw on guns&gear that allows the user to sight with both eyes open. It has some fiber optic thingy too. I'm not very technically savvy.[thinking] You can also use the iron sites with this setup so it's good for CQB and tracking a moving target too. The both eyes open allows for quicker acquisition and better tracking. Wish I hadn't erased that episode, I could of told you who makes the sight system and given you all the technical jargon too.
It's an EOTech red dot scope. Possibly a 556.A65: http://www.eotech-inc.com/products.php?id=1

Back
Top Bottom