• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What have you seen lately?

at my club, we typically see heron, and we have an osprey that eats all our trout that we stock LOL..

yesterday I saw an "all white" heron.. I didn't think we had egrets up this far north..

I've seen em a few times. Shocking.

I was listening to MeatEater a few weeks ago. Talking about raptors. Said that an Osprey is a very efficient bird. If it catches a fish and brings it back to the next and a bald eagle swoops in right away, it'll leave the fish and let the eagle take it. Because the eagle is so much bigger. It's going to lose the fight. It's a frightfully efficient fisher so there is no reason to just let him have it and go catch another in but a few minutes.

It's also reason #1 why osprey and eagles keep their distance usually. Osprey just avoid eagles in general.

I usually hear them more than see them, but there was one at Waldo I'd see frequently on early morning rides there. Sadly, when I tried to get a shot:

View attachment 508876
There it is!

yesterday I saw an "all white" heron.. I didn't think we had egrets up this far north..
Plenty of them around. I've seen groups of 5 or 6 at a time up near plumb island. I've had 3 at a time in my lake in the back yard. There are also Great White Egrets, which are a little smaller. White Herons are the same size and Great Blues.

Mama turkey in my yard is down to two poults following her around. Last week, it was six. My pet coyotes and foxes must be shitting feathers.

I hope you thumped him with a stick, those things are evil.

I caught 10 of them last winter on my land and there are STILL a bunch over there, they decimate the hardwoods.
I have only like 2 spikes that travel my land. One climbs a hemlock but there is no hardwood damage to speak of. I have a selective cut plus a 2.5 acre clear cut coming up this early fall since my woods are so dense. I need it thinned and the money will be good. Problem with the spikes is they are only scootin around at 1-4am on my plot so it’s beyond my care to take em out. I’ve got tons of yotes too at the same time strollin through. I need a .22 suppressor and some gusto to sit out there at that hour with a thermal scope. Prolly not gonna happen anytime soon lol.

My enemy(another skunk) is getting smart.

He sent his minions in to disable my traps so he could go dig up my yard all on his own. I really hate releasing raccoons---such ungrateful bastards when you're trying to be nice to them. At least the silver trap has a quick release on on side-the green one is a bit more work. Sunday morning double raccoons project.

enemy.jpg IMG_0426.jpg IMG_0427.jpg

Need critter ID confirmation before I decide to set traps:

This was last night in the rain so the lens is wet. Skunks always show bright white on this camera, but I'm thinking skunk with less white then normal.

Video and thumbs
Ring #AlwaysHome

1.PNG 2.PNG

Must have been a banner year for them. This is the third in that spot of the yard. I'll see if he tries to turn the yard into a WWI no man's land before speaking to him.

Back
Top Bottom