• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What have you seen lately?

Had a Stoat chasing a rabbit in my yard while I was out watering. Nervy bastard too. Ran from my neighbors backyard chasing Peter, into my side yard, then front, then opposite side. Rabbit ran by my Beagle (useless as a hunting dog, lol, he was oblivious) and the Stoat stopped under my back stairs to the deck. My wife and the baby were sitting on them. She screams "IT'S RIGHT UNDER ME" and runs up the stairs. It peaks out, sees me about 7 feet away and says eff it and gos for it, running along my back foundation to the stone retaining wall. Climbs down that, spots Peter in my neighbors front yard, and continues the chase through the bushes into their yard.

I didn't even know they were around here, let alone that they caught rabbits. I mean he was like a third it's weight.....

I didn't even know they were around here, let alone that they caught rabbits. I mean he was like a third it's weight.....

I never heard Stoat, I just called them Ermines. They will take rabbits 3-4 times their body weight. They were fun to watch during deer season, 1/2 to full white as their color changed.

Was hearing an odd sound in the woods by the house. Kinda like a cross between a duck quack and a fawn bleat. The source of the sound seemed to be moving from place to place, but it seemed close to the ground. Then, I spotted some movement. It looked like a crow. I used my phone to send out a caw, and noticed there were two birds. They took to flight, and moved on.

There was a video on FB of a young fox at the Lakeville Liberry yesterday. Cried like a little baby. LOL. Then took off down 105/18.

My wife and I were sitting in our yard yesterday early evening when I saw the neighbors security light across the street come on automatically. Usually it's a skunk or raccoon that trips it. I looked to see what tripped it when a black bear comes down her driveway, looks both ways before crossing Route 3 and strolls across our yard no more than 6 feet from where my wife and I were sitting. It gave myself and my wife no more notice than if we had been a rock sitting in the yard.

I figured it was heading for the black raspberries behind the house. Sure enough, I checked out the bushes this morning. It looked like a tornado had torn through them.

There was a video on FB of a young fox at the Lakeville Liberry yesterday. Cried like a little baby.

If you want to have the hairs on your neck stand straight up, hear a rabbit scream. Sounds just like a woman screaming in panic.

River crawdads

I was sitting on the dock on Province lake, my feet touching the sand. My right big toe began to hurt and it did not go away. I picked up my foot and a good sized crawdad was attached. Just like in the cartoons!

Years back, while sitting on a deer stand in NH, I watched a red squirrel cut a piece of fungus of a tree trunk and take it out on a branch to sit and eat it. About 5 minutes later, he drooped over the branch, hanging on by his rear feet and then dropped to the ground about 30 feet. He did not move after that. When I left the stand, I went over and checked and sure as hell, that tree rat was dead.

I was thinking about that on the way back to camp and decided he ate the wrong mushroom. That stand was used by the guys in camp and I told them about the dumb squirrel. One guy spoke up and said that the mushroom was not the problem, it was the tree. The tree was a Hemlock and they exude poisonous oils. Tree rat ate Hemlock!

Mine. Mine. Mine. LOL

We've got a rookery behind our cabin somewhere. Back in June, we were sitting out and we had 5 or 6 fly from teh swamp into the lake area. Two actually LANDED ON THE WATER to grab fish. Like landed. In the middle of the lake. Had we not had binoculars to see, we'd have never believe it. 8-10' of water. Turns out they can float around like seagulls if they choose.

Here’s one of the biggest crawdads I caught up here.
View attachment 375182

That's so cool!!!

I grabbed some fallen-off-boat-ramp part out of the water last August and one of those was inside of it. Scared the living crap out of me. HUGE! It was a mini-lobster for crying out loud. Made me think the craw soft plastics I use might be too SMALL.

NES meet Godzilla . As I"m walking to the pump house on Long Point in Lakeville, I see something rather large swimming away. Its big, like an eel. I walk back on the road to a small clearing and stand there on the rocks waiting for it. I'm there a few minutes when all of a sudden this thing swims out from under the rock I'm standing on. A water snake of epic proportion. This thing stretched at least 4' and 2" in diameter. I found a piece of it's shed close by and took a photo of that too. DSC_2268 godzilla.jpg DSC_2270 skin.jpg

Back
Top Bottom