• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What have you seen lately?

I was bored today so I put the kayak in the pond and paddled around for awhile. I saw a red tail hawk that's nested around here, I saw lots of red winged black birds and lots of frogs and turtles posing their heads out of the water and when I got back to the dock this guy was staring at me. fullsizeoutput_29c2.jpeg

I find that strippers make awful kayak companions. Their arms are not beefy and with those platform heels, they can't get a good position to even get leverage on the paddles.

Saw a juvi eagle at the lake for a few seconds on Saturday while putting the boat in. He was there and gone pretty quick. I guess there weren't any herring nearby.

Saw a juvi eagle at the lake for a few seconds on Saturday while putting the boat in. He was there and gone pretty quick. I guess there weren't any herring nearby.

I took my 2 oldest to check out the Herring Run in Weymouth a few days ago but we were apparently late. I think we saw the last 2 fish of the year trying (pathetically) to make it up the ladders. We went up to the pond at the end where they all go to bang and die and the place was stuffed with all sorts of birds feasting on the dead/exhausted fish. Whitman’s Pond has a little neck that connects the herring run to the main pond and it was like a runway for waterfowl. They just kept landing and taking off - all sorts of strange birds too. There was some prehistoric looking thing perched on a branch near the road that looked like a kookaburra or something. Huge beak relative to its body. Maybe a juvenile heron or something?

Have also been seeing lots of foxes around lately. I used to see a few a year but have seen 3 just this weekend.

Nice!

Saw one of the eagles and a GB Heron at Assawompsett yesterday. And a pile of flycatchers. And a goose family that needs to be stepped on (I hate those things) and the swans. It was avian heaven. LOL

t wasn’t colorful, but it was fairly big/long.

Check out this link. There are other possibilities there as well.

Marther-Farker geese and their stupid-ass babies!!!!! Gosh. I take the boat out yesterday and a half hour later my wife is texting that 20 of them are up on the lawn crapping all over. LOL

Goslings seem late this year. Not anywhere near full-grown. I recall walking thru the Public Gardens years ago in May/June and by Flag Day the baby ducks would be ready to head out. Not so with these geese. Still pretty small and downy. And crappy. :(

Oh, I did see 2 otters while fishing though. They were a bit away (60-yards?) and I assumed they were big-ass snapping turtle heads poking up. Until one started sneezing. LOL. They disappeared before I got a pic. Snapped a poor pic of the Blue Heron, but I see him all the time.

She has decided my wife's flowers was a nice spot.

Next year, if you want to entice her to a specific spot, insure the sun will light the new place the same and turn over some soil. They love the smell of fresh soil and it makes the digging easier. The trick is that they watch the sun very closely and want that angle on the nest.
75-90 days, watch for the little ones.

Back
Top Bottom