What have you done recently to prepare? Please include How-To's also

the plastic buckets are O2 permeable. You can buy 5 gallon bucket size mylar bags with O2 packets:
https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-10...rd_wg=6Va8m&psc=1&refRID=ETF4M8RFXJMVJ3FDZFP4

Learned a couple of things recently. I got in on the Patriot Pantry $17.76 deal and bought four weeks worth. I wanted to have them in a bucket for ease of storage and to be able to add some additional oxygen absorbers. Bought three 10 packs of absorbers (2000cc) on amazon and two 5gal buckets with lids from Home Depot. The lids have a gasket or o-ring on them, but honestly I wasn't expecting too much for just a few bucks. After dividing the food into the buckets, I had a decent amount of room left in each, so I opened one of the packs of absorbers and threw 5 into each bucket... yeah, that was overkill. So the things I learned: I don't need that many oxygen absorber packs for a 5 gal bucket; the absorbers work, as indicated by the collapsed sides of the buckets; the seals on the lids have held for over a month now, even with the deformed buckets.

My wife's doctor gave her antibiotics pills for in case, with large refill prescription.
Not sure how long the pills last but seems like great prepping solution.

Of course I don't look like my wife so docs won't give me squat.

Bought a wrist rocket sling shot and 3 -100 count boxes of 5/16" nuts as ammo as a back up to all my other ammo and firearms , been buying and laying in a stock of My Patriot Supply items , have batteries, Coleman fuel . major trauma bag ,charcoal, and lots of long shelf life stock that gets rotated out at prescribed intervals. I'm good for a 4-6 week stand at the homestead, then on the move if necessary.

My wife's doctor gave her antibiotics pills for in case, with large refill prescription.

Some Prepping supply sites sell fish antibiotics, they are the same thing as human antibiotics. I read recently that starting in January, the government is going to prohibit the sale of fish antibiotics to people that do not have a prescription.

Last edited:

Store them in the fridge and they'll be good for years.

FYI I'm a pharmacist.

If you seal the antibiotics they can last years, like 10 or longer.

There have been tests in vials and pills of antibiotics that where found 30+ years later. Although efficacy was decreased some, they still had anywhere from 65-90% of the original potency left.

Seal them and keep them from light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some Prepping supply sites sell fish antibiotics, they are the same thing as human antibiotics. I read recently that starting in January, the government is going to prohibit the sale of fish antibiotics to people that do not have a prescription.

Patriot nurse posted this vid clarifying the change.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI I'm a pharmacist.

If you seal the antibiotics they can last years, like 10 or longer.

There have been tests in vials and pills of antibiotics that where found 30+ years later. Although efficacy was decreased some, they still had anywhere from 65-90% of the original potency left.

Seal them and keep them from light.

I was doing some reading on the subject and I may not have this correct, but is it true that some (fish) antibiotics, like doxycycline or ciprofloxacin, have a shorter shelf life and eventually, if used beyond expiration, can be quite toxic?

I was doing some reading on the subject and I may not have this correct, but is it true that some (fish) antibiotics, like doxycycline or ciprofloxacin, have a shorter shelf life and eventually, if used beyond expiration, can be quite toxic?

Doxy yes, Cipro not that I know of. Any tetracyclines, most ending in cycline, can cause kidney issues if used way beyond the expiration date. All others are pretty safe.

Usually if you end up going to a doc or dentist and get a script you can ask for a refill. Most will be ok with it. Then you can vacuum seal those to prevent issues with air and moisture. Those will hold up very well. I would also put it in a light block bag or container.

Www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/drug-expiration-dates-do-they-mean-anything

Back
Top Bottom