What have you done recently to prepare? Please include How-To's also

GM-GUY

NES Member
Since I couldn't find anything on point (thought their was a thread on it) - oh well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_water_disinfection

Today I redid my water storage. 24 Gallons of potable water in 1 gallon 'Hi-C' clear jugs.

Dump the old - 3yrs on some and no odors, growth, pressure buildup (indicating growth), and taste wasn't bad.

Rinse with HOT water, cap to, get the threads on the jug also, Triple Rinse the jug (not fill - just add 1-2 inches and slosh it around good.

Fill with HOT water. Add 2 drops bleach. Fill to the top. Cap Tightly.

Solar Sterilize. Today (sunny) you need minimum 6 hrs, I got it out at 1030AM so I'll leave it out all day.

Store in a cool, dark area, my basement closet against two cement walls works well.

Maybe we can get a thread going with helpful info - the cheaper the better as money is tight. The above is from bottles the kids drinks come in.

I also use frosted bottle, but just for toilet flush water. Two drops of bleach, normal cold tap water, no solar sterilize and I leave it until I need it. They all look good and some have been in storage 5 yrs - same closet.

Writing a family operations manual.

Got the idea from a book that explored best practices for families; the book encouraged adopting certain corporate practices in the home, and I'm trying to take it a step further.

Eventually the manual will cover everything from financial practices and spending strategies to chore lists, but a big section will focus on disaster planning and preparations. Initially it's going to contain a lot of checklists, but we hope to use it to develop long term strategies and goals.

Tip for water storage:

Out in the desert I used to run the sprinkler system through a 500-gallon potable water tank. They were connected in such a way that new water was continuously cycled into the drums as the sprinklers were used.

In this way, my potable water supply was very low maintenance, and if the SHTF, then we had 500 gallons of fresh water ready to go. Important for surviving in the desert.

If you're smart enough to prepare, then you can probably figure out how to rig a similar setup.

Here, the well pump is on the generator-supplied switch-over circuits, so when SHTF we just need to run the generator to get fresh water.

I'm also working on feasibility of a hand pump adapter for the well. Take the electric-powered pump off and install the hand pump.

I'm also working on feasibility of a hand pump adapter for the well. Take the electric-powered pump off and install the hand pump.

Good idea.

There's a member here who has something like that in place. I don't give out anyone's info here so we'll see if he chimes in.

What I would do is put them both on a manifold and just flip a couple valves to switch.

-----------------------ETA:-------------------------

We do a lot of home canning, have genny & fuel, propane lanterns & candles, several camping style stoves, first aid supplies (taken several courses), extra clothing, footwear, wool blankets ...and other things.

Most importantly: Teaching ordinary folks how to prepare for what they believe is necessary.

Note: Not pointing fingers at anyone but if all you are doing is hoarding guns and ammo or guns, ammo and several cans of Mountain house (or worse those boxes of "food insurance") You're doing it wrong. [thinking]

There are those who say "I'll just come to your house." or "I'll just shoot you and take your stuff."
Sometimes this is just drunks posting in their rep-circle jerks.
Sometimes they could be serious.

One of the single most important and overlooked activites in prepping is networking with your neighbors.

Most folks have no idea who lives scross the street, let alone over a block or so away.

The holidays are coming up if you haven't met your neighbors, take a plate of cookies and go say hello.

Last edited:
I ordered some of the Mountain House Sale stuff today - 12 cans, all I could afford really.

I also bought some 12 Gauge 2 3/4" rounds, PDX1 (Slug & three 00 Buck) - 100rds
and some Remington #4-6 Duplex shells - 50 rds.

Still no 22 or 5.56 to be had - I need to check Rileys again.

...I also bought some 12 Gauge 2 3/4" rounds, PDX1 (Slug & three 00 Buck) ....

ZoomButt.gif

What a great idea; I didn't know that such a thing existed. I'll have to try to find some.

I have 55 gallons every day all the time in my hot water tank. Just kill the power, attach a hose and I have water! Filter if necessary for bacteria using the Katadyn or Sawyer squeeze filter. [wink]

Was walking around my local walmart and picked up an extra 3 cases of water, some survival blankets, some miscellaneous medical supplies, and the limit of 3 boxes of .223 to add to the stash while I was there. I make it a habit of whenever I go to a place that sells ammo (Reasonably priced), to buy at least 1 or 2 boxes at minimum every time even if I'm going for something small.

I topped off our home heating oil tank,

rotated my gasoline by topping off my truck and my wife's, then refilling the cans with gas and pri-g. they were 13 months old.

Got a propane delivery for the cook stove.

split 1/2 a cord of seasoned hardwood that's been sitting

bought a case of 2015 expiration cans of tuna at wally world. can't afford mountain house, and i eat what I store.

bought an old school vermont castings defiant for the house up north

bought 3 big boxes of 5.56 I also found at wally world, but that's getting split with my brother and a buddy, not stashed.

Began assembling the first of two BOBs for the wife and I. Nothing fancy, as most of the essentials are already in the Jeep in Molle pouches that can be attached to the BOBs.

finally ordered a genny... (its a cheap harbor freight one but it will be better then nothing)

got the wife a basic emergency bag for her car (2 person 3 day kit)

starting a plan of $25 a week on long term storage food

bought a lotto ticket to win the $206 mill tonight....

Recently I made a big batch of fire starting materials consisting of two types. First are cotton balls which I soaked in petroleum jelly which I heated until liquid form and dipped the balls into. Then set aside to firm back up. The second type I made was cotton balls soaked in melted paraffin wax and set aside to harden. I then packaged them up in some packs of equal amounts of each in little foodsaver bags. I also experimented with hybrid of both materials but those did not yield good results.

The petroleum jelly balls are extremely easy to light with just something like a firesteel, and while they burn for a good bit they do not burn as long as the wax balls. The wax balls are for when I have access to a lighter or want to extend burn time of an already lit petroleum jelly ball. The wax ones are pretty much impossible to light with a firesteel. They are really great fire starters.. even for making a campfire or whatever. And waterproof to boot!

FIRE POWER. is all you need. and everything else is yours for the taking.

...including a 5.56 round to the head.

Recently me and my girlfriend put together our BOBs but other than that I haven' taken on any big projects. Every time I go to Walmart I buy something for the stash though.

Been meaning to buy one of these Water Bob things also: waterBOB®: emergency drinking water storage

Just and FYI, I have heard the BOB is a one time use item

I've used the WaterBob's and yes, these are a one time use product and you need to pull it out and fill it before the water stops running. BUT they are perfect for anyone living in an apartment or mobile home as they take up minimal space before and during use as they sit on a shelf and then in your bathtub when in use. They're cheap enough so if you need to use in in advance of a hurricaine (or if the city / town is working in the streets and might knock out a watermain) you can fill it and use if needed or just drain it later.

You wouldn't wait till the blizzard hits to run out and get bread and milk would you ? [laugh]

Hypotheticaly speaking

Not that anyone should do this....

A generator that may or may not be in my garage, may or may not have a double ended male plug cord for it.

Someone, not me, could plug one end in the geny, and one end in their 220 outlet.

If you ALWAYS shut off your main breaker so you don't zap someone out in the street trying to repair the grid, this system will backfeed into the main bus and supply power to the whole house.

Well, I stumbled upon some 20Ga 2 3/4" ammo today, and as I only have 100 rds total - I took the opportunity to buy. I also figured my monthly ammo budget is just sitting anyway as there is no 22 to be had (I still have ammo to shoot - just looking to resupply what I've been using).

Anyway,
250 - #6
250 - #4
50 - Buck
50 - Slug

Stacked up a couple of pieces of plywood at the front of the garage in the event I need to temporarily cover up some storm damaged windows or doors.

Set aside back up circulation pumps in case one in the heating system goes bad. The -0011 moves hot water from the wood boiler to the house and the -007 moves hot water to different zones in the house.

Mostly food and water. A lot of it too.

Guns I am all set. Ammo I have plenty of. I also have my Bow and 3 dozens arrows..I need more.

Just a tip guys. Ramon noodles and spaghetti are long shelf life items and if you find them on sale even better. Even after the expiration date they can still give you nutrients.

Not that anyone should do this....

A generator that may or may not be in my garage, may or may not have a double ended male plug cord for it.

Someone, not me, could plug one end in the geny, and one end in their 220 outlet.

If you ALWAYS shut off your main breaker so you don't zap someone out in the street trying to repair the grid, this system will backfeed into the main bus and supply power to the whole house.

You could probably have a transfer switch and the appropriate receptacle installed for under $200 bucks. Might be worth it in the long run for safety's sake. Think about, what if someone else has to plug in the generator that is not familiar with the procedure. What if you trip over the cord and pull that live plug out of the wall. Then of course there are the risks of running your generator in the garage. Sounds like you already know this is a really bad idea. I'm just throwing it out there but if could end up being fatal.

You could probably have a transfer switch and the appropriate receptacle installed for under $200 bucks. Might be worth it in the long run for safety's sake. Think about, what if someone else has to plug in the generator that is not familiar with the procedure. What if you trip over the cord and pull that live plug out of the wall. Then of course there are the risks of running your generator in the garage. Sounds like you already know this is a really bad idea. I'm just throwing it out there but if could end up being fatal.

I have a transfer switch and my buddy (licensed) installed it for me. All together was closer to 325 but well worth it. I have used it 3 times since installation and while everyone is in blackout and running to get more batteries I have heat, hot water and about 1/2 of everything in a normal house running.

That coupled with Propane storage and a simple coleman stove we pretty much are fine.

Started my serious conditioning/prepping plan yesterday - continued today.

Splitting wood - by hand. I did a small cart load yesterday, today I filled a 17 cu ft cart (heaped) until I was drenched in sweat and decided it was time to quit today - I though it was fall (almost).

It's only pine, my brother-in-law used it for his shed stove and splits the smaller pieces for kindling.

I'm going to use it for my barrel stove I made last year out of my dead 119gal pressure tank - I still need to post pics. The blue paint has to go and grinding isn't cutting it - so I'll burn it off out side on a nice clouding drizzling day to keep the fire chief out of my hair. I'm going to put a grate on the bottom to prevent it from getting too hot (don't want to damage the steel).

Ultimate plan is to get a whole bunch of stove bricks and build a box inside.

I went through some of my old canned goods and pulled the expired stuff that was over a year old. I know they say its pretty much good forever, but I don't want to go that route unless I was starving. We tried a can of pasta sauce that was over a year expired last night and it tasted like crap. Very metallic tasting

Back
Top Bottom