What happens to the Massachusetts registrations when you move out of state?

Does Massachusetts keep the gun registration information once a resident leaves the state? Do they forward that information to the new state when you inform them that you've moved?

MA forwards nothing, so have no fear.

They will keep the database forever, as useless as it is.

If a Resident sells a gun to an out-of-state FFL, MA will have no record of where the gun went . . . so the whole system is terribly unreliable.

For the 1000th time, absolutely nothing. [grin] They stay in the system forever. There is no way to "unregister" a gun in MA. It is what it is. Even if you sell everything, your "name" or LTC # will still show those guns attached to it. The system does not really have any means of accommodating disposition of firearms. It doesn't really care about that.

BTW, it's worth noting that most states DO NOT have gun registration systems, (the overwhelming majority) so I'm not sure why anyone would think that states would "share databases" with one another. Not to mention even in the commie states that information is protected to some degree or another. (eg, any access has to come through official channels, eg, an official LE investigation, etc. ).

-Mike

I have an additional related question that I was asked. If I were to move out of state tomorrow and get a drivers license, etc in my new state, what would happen to my LTC that doesn't expire until 2014? Would I need to turn it in? Would they cancel it somehow?

I have an additional related question that I was asked. If I were to move out of state tomorrow and get a drivers license, etc in my new state, what would happen to my LTC that doesn't expire until 2014? Would I need to turn it in? Would they cancel it somehow?

It would be invalid, because you are no longer a resident of this state. I'm not sure if there is a grace period but I doubt it.

It's automatically void and of no value. No requirement to turn it in, but some PDs have demanded them to be turned in anyway. You are required to notify outgoing PD (OR whichever PD issued your LTC/FID) and CHSB by Certified Mail (Return Receipt is a good idea) . . . a letter suffices, but see numerous posts here or www.goal.org for more info. At that point, they cancel your LTC/FID by whatever means, in the system.

You're supposed to report your change of address to your issuing authority and the state within 30 days of moving. I would guess at that point your IA (should) expire your license in the state's system, if what Ron Glidden says is true (that dumping MA residency causes a resident license to become invalid).

-Mike

You're supposed to report your change of address to your issuing authority and the state within 30 days of moving. I would guess at that point your IA (should) expire your license in the state's system, if what Ron Glidden says is true (that dumping MA residency causes a resident license to become invalid).

-Mike

Ha. When I left the state I told them exactly nothing. I know longer live under their laws so they can kiss my a$$.

Per statute or regs., I believe your resident license automatically expires/is revoked once you become a non-resident. You can then reapply for a non-resident LTC should you choose to do so.

Ha. When I left the state I told them exactly nothing. I know longer live under their laws so they can kiss my a$$.

Per statute or regs., I believe your resident license automatically expires/is revoked once you become a non-resident. You can then reapply for a non-resident LTC should you choose to do so.

It won't get disabled in the system though unless CHSB or the IA kills it or it expires due to time.

One problem with not notifying is the state may use "failure to notify" as BS to deny a non-resident application.... of course, they have absolutely no idea of when you've actually left the state or not, and whether you're not inside the 30 day limit for notification, unless your nonreisdent app process takes longer than 30 days and you still haven't notified them.

-Mike

I don't plan on applying for a non-resident LTC in Mass. - I am trying to avoid ever returning to Mass. and this is yet one more incentive for me to just stay away.

Plus, if your resident LTC automatically expires, it is inconsistent to have to notify them - in effect, as soon as you become a resident of a different state, you no longer have a valid LTC. Thus, the notification statute should now be inapplicable. Doesn't surprise me that these inconsistencies would exist under the M.G.L.'s.

Last edited:
It's in the MGLs that failure to notify is grounds for revocation. Therefore if you fail to notify and at some later date, for whatever reason, either file for a NR LTC or move back to MA, they can use that to prevent you from every getting a MA LTC again.

It's in the MGLs that failure to notify is grounds for revocation. Therefore if you fail to notify and at some later date, for whatever reason, either file for a NR LTC or move back to MA, they can use that to prevent you from every getting a MA LTC again.

I am not going to disagree with you on your point, but if I no longer have an LTC by operation of law because I left the state, and the notification provision applies only when you have an LTC, it makes no sense for me to notify them regarding my now non-existent LTC.

The law may be poorly written, but the net impact is as I stated. If for any reason you need one in the future you can legally be denied due to failure to notify. You can weigh saving $10 in Certified mailings vs. any such potential (and if it were to happen you have to notify every state when applying for renewal that you had been denied and explain it, forever!).

If I were king (which will never happen), MA gun laws would look something like NH's gun laws . . . a total of ~1 page but with VT's "licensing requirement"! [wink] [smile]

I am not going to disagree with you on your point, but if I no longer have an LTC by operation of law because I left the state, and the notification provision applies only when you have an LTC, it makes no sense for me to notify them regarding my now non-existent LTC.

Nobody ever said it had to make sense. This is MA we're talking about here. [laugh]

-Mike

Well, I don't think I am going to notify them of anything. As a citizen of a different state, their gun laws no longer apply to me unless I am physically in the state.

Plus, my imminent and certain denial of a future LTC is one more reason to tell my wife that we can never move back. Not being able to move back alone is the perfect reason not to tell them.

Plus, my imminent and certain denial of a future LTC is one more reason to tell my wife that we can never move back. Not being able to move back alone is the perfect reason not to tell them.

To one guy it's a bug, another it's a feature! [laugh]

-Mike

Hey, I will use whatever ammunition and means I can find to avoid ever having to move back to MA. I will change jobs, move to a cave, maybe even get a sex change just to not have to become subject to MA laws (and not just gun laws either) ever again.

...maybe even get a sex change just to not have to become subject to MA laws (and not just gun laws either) ever again.

Hey, you can take solace in the fact that in MA they would pay for your sex change if you got locked up for failure to notify [rofl]

Does Massachusetts keep the gun registration information once a resident leaves the state? Do they forward that information to the new state when you inform them that you've moved?

My need to know was twofold. I wanted to know if Mass kept records so if ever the opportunity to prove a gun was at some point registered in MA to perhaps make it legal to transfer instate and also to know if NY, NJ, CA or any other commie state back checked chain of ownership. So many of us are leaving state with our guns that eventually there won't be many or any old guns left. If a gun leaves state and stays on the registered list it should be considered legal forever since it never technically was un-registered and never technically out of state...on paper.

The law may be poorly written, but the net impact is as I stated. If for any reason you need one in the future you can legally be denied due to failure to notify. You can weigh saving $10 in Certified mailings vs. any such potential (and if it were to happen you have to notify every state when applying for renewal that you had been denied and explain it, forever!).

As certain as you are never to return. I wouldn't chance it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• BridgeBurning.jpg
    BridgeBurning.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 99
As certain as you are never to return. I wouldn't chance it.

attachment.php

My decision is not a question of chance. I believe that the way the law is written, there is no need to notify them as my LTC no longer exists anyway as I moved out of the state.

If I had to move back to the Northeast, it would be NH - just no way I am moving to MA. I patently refuse.

IANAL: The statutes and case law that relate to residency and domicile can get complicated and don't always seem logical. RESIDENCE is defined as the place of general abode; principal, actual dwelling, without regard to intent. DOMICILE (“legal residence”) - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, defines domicile as “A person's legal home. That place where a man has his true, fixed, and permanent home and principal establishment, and to which whenever he is absent he has the intention of returning. (Smith v. Smith, 206 Pa. Super. 310) A person may have more than one residence but only one domicile. The legal domicile of a person is important since it, rather than the actual residence, often controls the jurisdiction of the taxing authorities and determines where a person may exercise the privilege of voting and other legal rights and privileges.” Some states like Texas may require you to obtain a drivers license if you plan on spending greater than a specified amount of time in Texas, that is you have personally availed yourself of the rights and privileges to operate a motor vehicle in that state. However, that does not preclude you from your INTENT to return to Massachusetts someday and in so you have not sold your property and continue to store belongings in Massachusetts. You may have enough grounds to maintain that you are domiciled in Massachusetts. http://www.brooks.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=6248 http://www.wiggin.com/db30/cgi-bin/pubs/Advisory-TE-June07.pdf

There are lots and lots of cases that opine about what determines your residency, because a determination of residency has a direct bearing on where you can properly sue and be sued in federal court.

There are subjective and objective factors. If you say you are a resident of a certain state, then that is provided some weight. The objective factors such as where you live, where you are licensed and maybe most importantly to which state you pay taxes to and vote in are given a lot of weight.

In effect, if you want to become a resident of a different state, undertake specific actions demonstrating your intent to be in that state, with no immediate desire to leave and support that intent by licensing your vehicles, voting in and paying taxes to that state.

In terms of MA gun laws (as best understood), leaving the state and becoming a resident of another state would terminate your resident LTC. You would have the option of applying each year for the non-resident LTC by providing King Deval his taxes and tributes along perhaps with your first born.

Technically, you've moved when you leave your home in MA. Unless your back door opens into another state, the notification statute stands and can indeed be used as a reason for denial.

Back
Top Bottom