• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What Happens to "Buyback" Guns?

Well, in this case, they're stolen by the police.

A former Clarendon Hills police officer charged with stealing four guns collected during a turn-in program was sentenced to two years probation Friday after pleading guilty to felony official misconduct

Two years probation for a felony.

If you or I steal four guns we're doing time. Guaranteed.

It seems to be true that all pigs are equal, but some are more equal than others.

In all, Ryan was accused of stealing five weapons, all in 2007: an Ithaca M1911 A1 World War II U.S. Army .45-caliber gun; a .22-caliber Short Butler; a Smith & Wesson .38-caliber Airlight Special; a Mossberg 590 12-gauge shotgun; and a Connecticut Valley Bobcat .50-caliber gun.

Someone brought a WWII Ithaca 1911 to a gun buyback? Jesus wept.

And an Airweight and a 590?

Good grief.

[laugh] These stories crack me up. Not sure which is worse, the cop stealing the guns, or the idiot bringing those guns to a buy back. [laugh]

Gotta figure the Ithaca is worth around fifteen hundred, the Airweight maybe three hundred and the 590's probably around three fifty or so.

Those three guns were probably traded in for three hundred bucks worth of gift cards.

whenever someone brings a gun to a buyback, God kills a kitten... oh wait... cats aren't popular here.... ermm... God kills a puppy.... no... that's the LEOs, they only think they're God....

If idiots didn't bring guns to buy backs I wouldn't get the chance to buy them ;-) some depts consign them to FFL's

I took a gun to Taunton's buy back in the late 90's. It was a Sterling .22....bought new for $79, turned in for $100. I was interviewed by the local newspaper, Taunton Gazette, IIRC...they asked me if I felt I made everyone safer by getting the gun off the street. "hell, no. This was mine, I just made $20 off of it and I'm going to buy a new Glock!" Funny, but that never made the papers.

Some years back I was at a gun auction sitting with some pals. These fellows are well off and have been into guns for over 50 years each. When a table full of breach break nickle plated 32's came up for sale, they were struggling to get an opening bid and I started them off with 5$ and won the gun. As more came under the hammer I was buying them for an average of 10$ each and took about 10 guns. My buddies were asking me what the F I wanted these pieces of crap for and I handed them a Boston Globe turned to the article announcing a gun buy back program in Boston the next day. 100$ Target certificates per working gun. All of the ones I bought were functional, just in poor shape.

Not too shabby, 100 to 1000$ in a day.

Well, in this case, they're stolen by the police.

Two years probation for a felony.

If you or I steal four guns we're doing time. Guaranteed.

It seems to be true that all pigs are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Someone brought a WWII Ithaca 1911 to a gun buyback? Jesus wept.

And an Airweight and a 590?

Good grief.

Jesus and many others wept, including yours truly. Melting down a 1911 and a 590 is awful. I have a hard time thinking of these cops as criminals for trying to keep these beauties out of the kiln.

I wonder if he would have been allowed to just "reimburse" the program for the $100 per gun and walked with them legally, instead of trying to steal them? What a dumb ass, but it pisses me off what a double standard there is anyway![angry]

I have a few Raven .25 autos I would love to turn in for $100 bucks each.

If people stopped bringing in guns to buyback programs to make a quick buck, maybe these stupid programs would cease to exist. Stop being part of the problem.

I took a gun to Taunton's buy back in the late 90's. It was a Sterling .22....bought new for $79, turned in for $100. I was interviewed by the local newspaper, Taunton Gazette, IIRC...they asked me if I felt I made everyone safer by getting the gun off the street. "hell, no. This was mine, I just made $20 off of it and I'm going to buy a new Glock!" Funny, but that never made the papers.
That's AWESOME [laugh] Nope, that footage ended up on the editors floor.[sad2]

It was probably stolen in a housebreak by a crackhead, why would he care what it's worth [sad2]

Well, either that, or someone that passed away, and had kids, or relatives with no knowledge of their value just "disposing" of them.

Back
Top Bottom