What happens if I shoot a rabid raccoon that is attacking my dog

So if I was hiking somewhere with my dog this would not be an issue, but I live in little Cambridge (Arlington) and A Raccoon attack just happened yesterday.

So in my mind my dog is one of my children. There is not much I would not do to keep him safe (Even though he is more than capable of taking care of himself) So what if??? What if he is being attacked and I dispatch the Rabid animal with my firearm? I know other factors come into play like am I putting other people in harms way by firing and such. I am talking about a clean one or two shot kill of a Rabid Raccoon in my back yard that was attacking my dog. Am I going to jail for discharging a firearm? Am I going to loose my license?

In my mind this does not apply to my children. If they are being attacked There is nothing that would stop me from doing whatever was needed to help them and TBH the same goes for the dog. I would act first and worry about the consequences later. Thats why we have these forums right? So we can talk about this stuff before it happens?

These are all things that are running through my head while reading the article.

I don't have my own dogs but my girlfriend does and they're growing quite fond of me as I am of them. Seems to me most dog owners will go to great lengths to protect their pets and I would certainly have no problem shooting a rabid wild animal if it were poised to attack either of my girlfriend's dogs. I guess you just need to weigh the risks of what might happen if you open fire on a public way. If you're walking in the woods away from houses/ roads, I don't really see how charges could be brought against you.

Well, if the Connecticut squirrel case is any sort of example, you're supposed to get arrested for cruelty to animals and get your house searched and be charged with felonies for unregistered salt & pepper shakers.

Unfortunately in this day and age, I would really leave shooting an animal to the last resort. The victim mentality and the police will take care of me mindset of the Massachusetts liberal mind will not allow for much leeway in taking care of problems yourself.

I am faced with a similar issue as I am purchasing a puppy in a few weeks. I am thinking about carrying pepper spray as a first line of defense.

Chris

We're not talking about just watching a squirrel from your kitchen window run through your neighbor's yard. If a rabid (or even non-rabid) animal is literally in the act of attacking one of my dogs and my dog is on the losing end, that animal is going down one way or another.

I guess it depends on how much it means to you. If you think its worth doing and if your "children" animals are worth it. I have children and I have dogs. I would do it in a heartbeat for my child. The dog, I would have to think about it. I would be more inclined to pick up the dog if it were small enough or let the dog kill it if it were big enough. The meds are better than being banned for life from owning a firearm for a dog. My actual child is a different story. If you consider your dogs your children, you either have a completely different mindset on family or have no kids. Either way we disagree on that point.

I think most smaller animals could be kicked.... Bigger animals would get shot. Even in Newton people are cowering in fear over coyotes, if a citizen shot one attacking their dog they would probably be hailed a hero.

Mike

To start with your pet is not a child its an animal. If someone killed it you can only sue for the value of the pet, and not pain & suffering.As far I know that is the way the state looks at it.If a rabid animal attacks, you have the right to defend yourself.Threw the years I had to shoot two raccoons that were rabid,one in my garage and one in my yard.

I believe you meant to say "If a rabid raccoon is attacking my family...". Obviously the dog only got involved when the rabid animal made a furtive move toward a child.

Unfortunately in this day and age, I would really leave shooting an animal to the last resort. The victim mentality and the police will take care of me mindset of the Massachusetts liberal mind will not allow for much leeway in taking care of problems yourself.

I am faced with a similar issue as I am purchasing a puppy in a few weeks. I am thinking about carrying pepper spray as a first line of defense.

Chris

^^This

a super horn is also an awesome animal deterrent. pretty much any animal will get away from this because it's louder than God. i keep one w me at all times.

http://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Safety...UTF8&qid=1398955383&sr=8-1&keywords=horn+boat

also, chance of attack from wild/ferrel animal is low. chance of attack from a rabid wild/ferrel animal is incredibly low.

You're in MA. Cower in place and defer to authority. I would not consider shooting an option unless you want to be stripped of what remains of your RKBA.

Some granola chewing PETA supporting moonbat will call his granola chewing friend at the local news. The evening news will report that you are a racist redneck that loves killing small animals. Your local PD will visit your house in the middle of the night with a SWAT team, smash down your door, shoot your dog, confiscate your computer, leave Bearcat tracks on the front lawn, and trash your apartment.

The granola chewing reporters will camp outside your workplace and try to interview you the next morning. They will be sure that the signage of your employers company is in the frame. Your employer will begin getting calls from moonbats that have nothing better to do than harass your employer.

Your severance check *might* just cover the cost of the attorney if you agree to the bogus plea deal the DA has conjured up for you. While all this is going on, your landlord begins the eviction process because tenants are complaining about the news trucks outside the building.

You now have no house, no dog, no LTC, no job, the storage place owns your guns, the neighbors hate you, and your name comes up on google under the search term "coon killing racist redneck" making it hard to find a new job. BTW, the landlord is keeping your security deposit and taking you to small claims court for the damage done by the SWAT team.

Shoot that rabid coon....its a free country, and we have the 2nd amendment on our side!

If a raccoon was wrestling/attacking my dog, I'm not sure I would take the shot. Why? I wanna be 110% sure I'm not gonna hit my dog lol.
If they're actually rolling around fighting there's no way I would risk the shot but I guess it's a game time decision. I feel like I may kick it instead, then maybe shoot it after I have a clear shot.

If a raccoon was wrestling/attacking my dog, I'm not sure I would take the shot. Why? I wanna be 110% sure I'm not gonna hit my dog lol.
If they're actually rolling around fighting there's no way I would risk the shot but I guess it's a game time decision. I feel like I may kick it instead, then maybe shoot it after I have a clear shot.
This.

I use to walk my dog out in the woods near my neighborhood. There was always a dog that would attack my dog . It was like he knew when we where in the woods. Still couldn't pinpoint what yard he came from.

My dog always stood his ground. One day it got real vicious . One good kick to the other dog that was the end of the other dog bothering us.

If no one has reported it to the authorities, Just Shovel and shut up. If this has not happen why even discuss it?

OOOh! Good point!

I suppose there's no law requiring a person to report discharging a firearm or killing a wild animal. Is there? Are there any rules requiring a person to report anything to the authorities, or can they just walk away (automobile accidents excepted)?

Leaving out for the moment "conciousness of guilt" arguments...

Well I don't think you're a LEO so your pup should be OK. [rofl]

JWs posts are what I'd do too.

Good luck getting a clean shot at a raccoon that's in a fight with a dog. I'd be very concerned about hitting the dog. Both animals would be moving, spinning and jumping around like crazy.

ETA:
Looks like JCV already made my point

don't rabid raccoons usually just stumble around like they're drunk? I thought the rabit animal Cujo attacks were moslty movie balogna. Always been my understanding that if you get too close to them they'll attack but they're not high speed zombies trying to rampage through the town and bite everything in site. I guess if one wandered into your yard and your dog went up to it then it could be an issue.

either way:

A) my dog has up to date rabies vaccine
B) high powered pellet gun
C) if no pellet gun readily available...45acp
D) rush dog to vet for booster

If no one saw it then no prob. If the cops show up after you've already buried the animal, then "yeah I heard a loud bang too...figured kids with fire crackers. have a nice day officer".

I related a story a while back about a man who lived in the Arlington vicinity and shot a dog that was mauling his wife in their backyard. This wasn't here say, he told myself and a friend the story. He was charged with discharging a weapon in city limits, discharging a weapon within so many feet of a dwelling (I forgot the distance) and a few more charges. He was also taken into custody while his wife was being loading on the ambulance, but released later that day. Had his LTC pulled also. Fast forward to this past Feb. and he still is trying to get his LTC back plus legal expenses. I'd think long and hard before I shot an animal unless it was attacking a child. Call the animal control people. I should add he called the police and EMS himself.

Some granola chewing PETA supporting moonbat will call his granola chewing friend at the local news. The evening news will report that you are a racist redneck that loves killing small animals. Your local PD will visit your house in the middle of the night with a SWAT team, smash down your door, shoot your dog, confiscate your computer, leave Bearcat tracks on the front lawn, and trash your apartment.

The granola chewing reporters will camp outside your workplace and try to interview you the next morning. They will be sure that the signage of your employers company is in the frame. Your employer will begin getting calls from moonbats that have nothing better to do than harass your employer.

Your severance check *might* just cover the cost of the attorney if you agree to the bogus plea deal the DA has conjured up for you. While all this is going on, your landlord begins the eviction process because tenants are complaining about the news trucks outside the building.

You now have no house, no dog, no LTC, no job, the storage place owns your guns, the neighbors hate you, and your name comes up on google under the search term "coon killing racist redneck" making it hard to find a new job. BTW, the landlord is keeping your security deposit and taking you to small claims court for the damage done by the SWAT team.

Shoot that rabid coon....its a free country, and we have the 2nd amendment on our side!

No doubt. Mass sucks. I've had my rabies shots and a booster...just have to step in with my knife and Ninja like reflexes. [shocked]
rkf_header.png

Just need a throw down blade for the loser...
White Feather

You are not going to say anything to the cops beyond reporting a firearm was discharged and that "I will cooperate fully once I have appropriate counsel present".

If no one has reported it to the authorities, Just Shovel and shut up. If this has not happen why even discuss it?
Joe, any chance of an "illegal hunting" charge happening in such a case? Assuming, of course, that the shooter doesn't have a valid MA hunting license.

You are not going to say anything to the cops beyond "I will cooperate fully once I have appropriate counsel present".
Actually, this is reasonable. You would be demonstrating your willingness to cooperate, but at the same time you are indicating that you are not going to go about it in a haphazard fashion.

I came across a rabid raccoon about five years ago in the woods. the poor animal was a mess couldn't walk a straight line, hissing and falling over. my first instinct was to put the animal out of its misery but there were other people around so just left it for animal control that i was told were on their way and continued on my hike. from what i saw this animal would only be a threat to people or anaimals that came within 10ft of it or less. it reminded me of someone drunk who couldn't walk.

Back
Top Bottom