• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What happens if I shoot a rabid raccoon that is attacking my dog

You are not going to say anything to the cops beyond reporting a firearm was discharged and that "I will cooperate fully once I have appropriate counsel present".

You are saying one should call the police and report one's discharging of a firearm?

I never thought about what I would do if I encountered an aggressive coyote while dog walking and shot it in our somewhat rurral suburban area

You are not going to say anything to the cops [strike=-]beyond reporting a firearm was discharged [/strike]and that "I will cooperate fully once I have appropriate counsel present".

Since the discharging of a firearm would likely be a crime due to the proximity of homes, you don't even want to admit to that.

Show the raccoon a picture of Hillary Clinton in that bathing suit dancing with Bill. It will stop the attack, gouge it's own eyes out, and run away.

All very valid points. I only bring this up because I think (I could be wrong) that this is a forum for responsible gun owners in New England. Thank you everyone for your responses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Since the discharging of a firearm would likely be a crime due to the proximity of homes, you don't even want to admit to that.

The way I worded it, all it says that it was, not by whom. I figured you need to tell 911 why they need to come by. But you are the lawyer so I defer to you.

ETA: I guess you could also say there was a raccoon attack, but that starts to get into the who, what, when and where critical to the discharge.

To start with your pet is not a child its an animal. If someone killed it you can only sue for the value of the pet, and not pain & suffering.As far I know that is the way the state looks at it.
Right, because we all know the government adequately dictates good morals and proper behavior in all situations.

IDGAF how much (or little) the state values my dogs' lives. While I don't quite compare my dogs to my son, they mean a whole hell of a lot to me and I would absolutely kill an animal that was killing my dogs. If that means having to shoot it, so be it.

Right, because we all know the government adequately dictates good morals and proper behavior in all situations.

IDGAF how much (or little) the state values my dogs' lives. While I don't quite compare my dogs to my son, they mean a whole hell of a lot to me and I would absolutely kill an animal that was killing my dogs. If that means having to shoot it, so be it.

This. I take my dog hiking in places where other people's dogs have been killed by coyotes. Right next the "No guns allowed in these here King's Woods" sign is a "Warning, Coyotes have killed pets in these here King's Woods" sign. I'll dump a mag in a coyote if needed and then get the F out of there. Same on my property. discard the carcass and carry on with life.

Always keep a couple packs of firecrackers on hand for the "after event" diversion. Maybe even a cherry bomb or two? Worked for me in a coyote incident two years ago. After the shot neighbors came out to see what the noise was, and lo and behold, it was just some dope setting of firecrackers.

To start with your pet is not a child its an animal. If someone killed it you can only sue for the value of the pet, and not pain & suffering.As far I know that is the way the state looks at it.If a rabid animal attacks, you have the right to defend yourself.Threw the years I had to shoot two raccoons that were rabid,one in my garage and one in my yard.

In what neighborhood did this occur?

Shoot it, worry about everything else later, I doubt you will be in any serious trouble if you are safe throughout the altercation.

plus, don't be an idiot, say it was going after you.... no need to get the dog involved

Always keep a couple packs of firecrackers on hand for the "after event" diversion. Maybe even a cherry bomb or two? Worked for me in a coyote incident two years ago. After the shot neighbors came out to see what the noise was, and lo and behold, it was just some dope setting of firecrackers.

fireworks are illegal in massachusetts

Had a coon in our backyard when I was about 15. Middle of the day, staggering, skinny. Just didn't seem healthy. Got my bow and put an arrow right through the engine room ending it quickly. He is peacefully buried in the woods. Nobody cared.

Had a coon in our backyard when I was about 15. Middle of the day, staggering, skinny. Just didn't seem healthy. Got my bow and put an arrow right through the engine room ending it quickly. He is peacefully buried in the woods. Nobody cared.

Similar when I was young. However in 2014 such conduct would necessitate "therapy".
I think kids these days have too much ADHD to even focus long enough on putting an arrow into a coon.

I am thinking about carrying pepper spray as a first line of defense.

Chris

IMO, if you are licensed or not in MA, you should already be doing this. To each their own, obviously, but I don't understand why someone would carry a firearm and not carry a less lethal option as a first resort. Whether it's a human or animal, the last thing I want to have to do is use lethal force to protect myself or others. I'd imagine most others on this forum feel the same way. The more options you have before resorting to deadly force, the better.

If a raccoon was wrestling/attacking my dog, I'm not sure I would take the shot. Why? I wanna be 110% sure I'm not gonna hit my dog lol.
If they're actually rolling around fighting there's no way I would risk the shot but I guess it's a game time decision. I feel like I may kick it instead, then maybe shoot it after I have a clear shot.

If something was in the act of wrestling/attacking my dog I'd go right up to it and put my .38 against it to be sure I shot the right animal. Might be stupid, I might end up getting hurt myself, but that's what I'd do. Around here I worry mostly about coyotes, if one ever came at us I'd hope to have a few seconds to shoot it before it had a chance to get my dog in its' mouth.

I would make a big mess of it... Wherever. No one would give a shit (especially if I explained the situation).

You are not going to say anything to the cops beyond reporting a firearm was discharged and that "I will cooperate fully once I have appropriate counsel present".

An exception is where there is evidence that you want collected at the scene, or witnesses favorable to your case you want identified. For example, if the rabid raccoon runs 20 ft into the woods and dies, you would be well served to mention that rather than stay silent.

Bow/arrow or machete - you shoot a gun in Cambridge/Arlington and you will lose your ltc. Even with a legitimate self defense shooting you will have a world of sh*t to wade through, likely have your ltc suspended and firearm confiscated.

Back
Top Bottom