What firearm(s) would you bring?

thinker01810

NES Member
I saw a movie the other day and it prompted some thinking on my part. Here's a hypothetical. Let's say your wife and family spend part of the summer on the Cape and something happens while they're there. Let's say most vehicles aren't running (EMP or something) and things are just beginning to break down since the event just happened. You have to walk to the Cape and try to retrieve them (approximately 100 miles 1 way). It's not a true bug out since you hope to return. What firearm(s) would you bring?

Size, weight, reliability and firepower are all important factors. My thoughts went right to certain guns that I own and I was surprised how fast it happened and which ones I chose.

One last, thing - I mean this to be a fun exercise so we can share ideas so please keep that in mind. I'll post my thoughts a little later on.

Ar-15 for close-medium range and my glock 19 for close range. Ar has capability to do about anything you need it to short of very long distance, and the glock isn't going to have some malfunction in a time of need.

My Browning Hi-Power and my M16 with 11" barrel and collapsible stock. In my pack would be another Hi-Power and another collapsible stock AR for my wife. That way, we maximize commonality of ammo and magazines. All are faily easily concealed, while remaining accessible.

By starting to break down, do you mean that the cops and/or Army (National Guard too) guys are now no longer following the chain of command?

Big difference.

If they're still "enforcing the laws" for real, then an exposed long arm is asking for the wrong type of attention.

And, then, by "retrieve them," are you going to have to do the hike in reverse? Are they going to be able to assist on the way back, or be "dead weight?"

Last edited:
Why do we need to pack guns...I would bring a few pairs of dry socks (its a long walk and its wet in those cranberry bogs) and a backpack full of devil dogs and cheezits (hey its hard work humping 100 miles)....wait a minute no one is getting my cheezits!! ok I am still old school so a swiss army knife, 30-30 lever action rigged out like the Rifleman and a 1911.......

I cannot be the only one that thought of this when I saw the title. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd carry my 10-22 takedown with half a dozen BX-25 mags, My Glock 21 with the 3 mags I have for it, and an AR-15 with 6-10 mags.

If 'it' happened, I'd be one of the ones with a working vehicle.

Since 'it' has just happened, I would also have a buddy making the trip with me. We already have a plan to not have to cross the bridges in either direction.

If I am trying to be discreet? My Glock Sub2k in a laptop case with loaded mag and bolt open. Gun is ready to fire in 3 seconds. And a G17 on my hip. Six 30 round mags in the case and three 17 rds on my belt.

If discretion doesn't matter, then my ar and handgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Average walking speed - 3.1MPH - 33Hr walk EACH WAY - this doesn't count having to detour around bad stuff.

So three days there and another three back. The first three will be fairly uneventful - after that the FSA comes out and becomes the TYSA (Take Your Stuff Army) - three day walk back through the most densely populated area of the state - good luck. Also, good luck on your house being in one piece if you return.

Not saying I wouldn't try if it were my family - just know the odds are long and thin.

My ALICE pack - AR with 300 rds (all in mags), Glock and 100rds plus a complete bugout bag so I'm not sol if I can't make it back.

Last edited:
AR and M&P .40. Eagle CIRAS w/plates and packed full of mags, water, and IFAK. Back pack full of MRE's and more water. Don't forget a pack of Kools, so if all hell breaks loose, you can calmly light one up before ventilating fools. Bonus points if you have a MOLLE compatible cigarette holder.

Ar with 250 rounds and a SIG 2022 with two spare mags. I'd keep the AR in my backpack. I won't participate in any fighting. I'll try not to be spotted. If the "mission" would be to get the girl and get back home, any interaction with people could jeopardize the mission, and would therefore be avoided. If I had to shoot, I did something wrong. The recon guys here know what I'm talking about.

As I don't own an AR (yet) I'll have to sling the M1 garand........yep....heavy....... but my grandfather did it so can I. 10 each clips of 30-06 and my 357 mag revolver with some speedloaders. You go with what you got and its better than nuthin

My Browning Hi-Power and my M16 with 11" barrel and collapsible stock. In my pack would be another Hi-Power and another collapsible stock AR for my wife. That way, we maximize commonality of ammo and magazines. All are faily easily concealed, while remaining accessible.

I like this answer the best, but I'd be riding a bicycle and towing another for the wife, not walking. 3 mph vs 10 mph.

First, between what I have and what my father and brothers have, I would have a choice between an AR, AK, SKS, bolt .30 06, 10/22, .22 lever, M1 Garand, and Beretta CX4 Storm. For pistols, various S&W, Colt, Glock, Beretta, Taurus in 9mm, .40 and .45 and .22. Revolvers would be S&W, Ruger, in .357/.38, .380, .22 mag and NAA mini in .22.

Here are my thoughts on what I would bring and why. Most of this reflects the guns I own specifically and not meant in a general sense. For example, I just bought my first Glock recently and living in MA, it’s used and somewhat old and a little tired. It shoots great and I like it but 1) I have not had it long enough to really trust it 2) I’ve occasionally had some odd things happen like the slide does not stay open when the last shot is fired. Those are the kind of things that worry me in a self-defense firearm. So the fact that it would not be my choice reflects my particular firearm not Glocks in general.

First, I would expect to travel on the roads where possible but would also need to travel beside the roads or even cross country to avoid running into refugees or officials who might want to stop someone armed. I think this would mean a longer trip (maybe much longer), since roads are much faster than off road. Also, I think there might be a need to double back on occasion and walk around places to try to avoid problems. A person trying to do this would be really on their own and there would be no way to predict conditions once they got out there. So there could be mud, water and weather in the mix.

As soon as I started ruminating, my mind immediately jumped to my SKS, which I bought new in the late 80s for $150. Crazy. But the more I thought about it, the more I liked it for this task because it’s dead reliable, shoots anything, is accurate to 200 yards (longest distance I’ve ever shot it), is as simple as a hammer and virtually unbreakable. I don’t think it would be affected by weather, dirt or lack of cleaning. Most importantly, I really trust it and it has a bayonet to boot.

Once that decision was made, there rest were easy. I have a Taurus PT 99 in 9mm that is the most accurate and reliable pistol I own. It allows for cocked and locked carry, has great trigger and the magazine holds 15 rounds. I’ve never had a failure to feed or fire. It’s large enough to be intimidating but can still be concealed in various ways. I’ve had it over 20 years and I totally trust it. (That being said I like my Beretta M9A1 a lot and if I had it longer, it might be my choice.)

Finally, I would bring my NAA .22 mini revolver for a deep concealment weapon.

So that’s my take on this situation. I was surprised at how my thoughts ran and I’m not trying to say an SKS is better than an AR or an AK. Or that a Taurus is better than a Glock. It’s just that for me, trust in the individual firearm trumped other considerations, which I found very interesting.

Last edited:
Bike for sure. Only one, we can steal another when I get there. Glock 22 in horizontal shoulder holster. Glock 27 and loaded mags food water clothes in a backpack. Sig p238 in my spandex shorts. [laugh] 150 40s and 25 .380s. 35 rounds every 20 miles should be enough. On a good day, I can get there in about 8 hours. Probably take my mountain bike in case I have to go off road. Should be there in less than a day if I make it at all. [thinking]
White Feather

Keltec Sub 2000 and Sig P226 sharing mags. Effective from 0-50 yards. I'm disengaging anything farther than that.
I'd try to stay inconspicuous, lightweight and move quickly.

12 gauge pump with 00 buck loaded (100 rnds in reserve) and the p226 .40(also 100 rnds in reserve). Some protein bars, water purifying tabs, and a good multi-tool. Figuring any encounter would be defensive, the fight will be coming to me.

StevensMarksman

Unless I know they're staying put, the trip is likely useless. You mentioned an EMP. Given that scenario, there's no warning or way to contact the group to arrange the meeting. I would expect that they might leave/go elsewhere before I could get there. The Cape would be about 150 miles for me. Would be on a bicycle at least if not a motor bike (something like an older dirt bike might survive an EMP).

Supposing they knew I was coming and were waiting, I'd want to stay as light as possible as I'd tend to run rather than fight. If the Hi-Point group buy ever comes through, I'd likely go with my 92FS and the group buy carbine. Everything would work off 9mm reducing weight. I'd also do everything possible to hide any guns I had as lots of people will be looking for one to protect themselves.

THe most important thing is going to be getting there and back as quickly as possible. Bicycle, Motorcycle, maybe a small boat. How old are your kids? Do you have to carry them? Can they walk 100 miles? CAn you walk 200 miles? For a firearm I would go with a pistol and the lightest rifle I had. A load of no more than a couple hundred rounds of ammo for both. Go light and fast because if you cant get there and back in 3 to 4 days tops you arent going to get back without some serious help. DO you have a plan set up with your wife as to where you would meet? Does she bring a GHB and a firearm with her?

Back
Top Bottom