What do YOU prefer?

Take Michael DeBethencourt's Mastering the Defensive Snub Revolver and find out for yourself.

Could I interest you in sponsoring a poor but deserving retired person who would be eternally grateful and would sing your praises in every neighborhood bar, seedy dive, and firearms forum which he frequents?

[roll]

Seriously, I think I can guess why, and how he suggests loading your speed strip with that amount of ammo. I missed his course here at S&W last October and hope that he will come back this year.

Which brings up an interesting question. Have you ever heard of a CCW-holder being attacked in court after an otherwise lawful shooting for carrying extra ammo for a reload?

Although I've never taken any training with revolvers and retired mine when I left the PD, I used to carry a Det Spcl and speedstrips. With 6 on a strip, I recall the strip getting in the way while reloading.

Sounds like Michael's opinion on this matter has serious merit.

Today's market offers a lot more choices in compact high-cap. handguns within the acceptable calibers.
Choices here in MA are quite limited.

What works for you might not work for other people.

People often have other limitations imposed on them. If someone at work sees my gun, I would be immediately fired and that firing would significantly impact my ability to find work in the future. The office environment that I work in is not conducive to wearing a cover garment. I can't wear an untucked shirt. I certainly can't wear a photog vest. Part of the year I can get away with a bulky sweater. It's not a coat-and-tie place, and even if it was, people rarely wear their suit coats while at their desk. On the weekends, sure I can carry a double-stack mid-size gun. But I can't during the week. During the week it's pocket carry.

As for Glock versus Kimber, I agree that I need more practice. Changing out the pathetic factory Glock sights would help as well. As for training, I've got about 180 hours of training (from places like LFI, Sigarms Academy) and try to take some additional training each year.

My first gun was a Glock. I own three of them. I shoot 1911s better. YMMV.

M1911 said:
What works for you might not work for other people.

Amen. Forget "The check is in the mail." and "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you."

The BIGGEST lie in the English language is "One size fits all."

M1911 said:
People often have other limitations imposed on them. If someone at work sees my gun, I would be immediately fired and that firing would significantly impact my ability to find work in the future. The office environment that I work in is not conducive to wearing a cover garment. I can't wear an untucked shirt. I certainly can't wear a photog vest. Part of the year I can get away with a bulky sweater. It's not a coat-and-tie place, and even if it was, people rarely wear their suit coats while at their desk. On the weekends, sure I can carry a double-stack mid-size gun. But I can't during the week.

Yup. there's a difference between CONCEALED carry and COVERT carry.

The later often calls for more compromise than the former.

M1911 said:
As for Glock versus Kimber, I agree that I need more practice. Changing out the pathetic factory Glock sights would help as well.

Done anything to the Glock trigger, or did you leave it stock?

Regards
John

My Glock 23 trigger is stock. A number of years ago I paid $180 to have a well-known gunsmith work on the trigger of my Glock 17. Frankly, it didn't help a great deal.

Perhaps there are better parts and techniques now.

The 3.5 lb trigger on my Glock 34 is somewhat better, but that seems a bit light for carry purposes.

M1911 said:
My Glock 23 trigger is stock. A number of years ago I paid $180 to have Teddy Jacobsen (Action's by T) work on the trigger of my Glock 17. Frankly, it didn't help a great deal.

Perhaps there are better parts and techniques now.

The 3.5 lb trigger on my Glock 34 is somewhat better, but that seems a bit light for carry purposes.

I recently acquired a used 35 with a very nice trigger. It measures between 6lbs 3oz and 6lbs 5oz on my Lyman digital gauge.

(This is right where I like it. My K40 has the "Elite" trigger and has been slicked up by Ted Yost when he was still running Gunsite's Gunsmithy, and it measure 6lbs 7 oz to 6lbs 11oz.)

It looks like a combination of the 3.5lb connector with the 8lb NY trigger.

Try that combo on one of your Glocks and see if it doesn't make it noticably better to shoot.

Regards
John

Back
Top Bottom